Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th May 2016, 06:04   #1
Matt 75

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 launch car

Default Tepid heater temp

Morning all

My first ever post.

I'm new to 75's but an experienced vehicle technician.

I replaced the cambelt and water pump on my 2005 75 1.8t Connoisseur tourer at the weekend and, when on max temp, the heater isn't getting anything beyond tepid.

So, air lock is the first port of call. Bled the system again, used the bleed screw in the metal pipe above gearbox and still no great improvement.

Top heater pipe gets stinking hot but lower only gets reasonably hot which still suggests air lock or blocked matrix.

Dash temp gauge is bang in the middle and the radiator fan cuts in/out exactly as it should do.

Don't know if the climate system uses the external temp sensor to monitor temps but mine does constantly say 45.5+ degrees outside so know it needs a new sensor.

Anyway, just seeking some advice from those more experienced working on these in case I've missed something obvious.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Matt 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 08:36   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Matt, welcome to the forums, your 1.8 along with all other versions has a useless temp gauge, best place to start is using the on-board diagnostics to obtain accurate data. Dashboard temp gauge sits in middle from circa 75/115 C as standard.

All you need to know about OBD you will find here courtesy of T-Cut

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 09:26   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The bypass feed to the heater is normally at the same temperature as the top hose. So, I'd say there's insufficient flow through the matrix. Logically, there's a blockage from silt or an air lock in it.

The 1.8 engine more or less bleeds itself, so having done a formal system bleed, I'd be thinking about back-flushing the heater circuit. Heater matrix silting is a very common issue on all models.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 09:59   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Check too, the temp sensor has not been tied up close to any heating pipes. It should be facing out in the lower grille on the drivers side.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 11:32   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 75 View Post
Bled the system again, used the bleed screw in the metal pipe above gearbox and still no great improvement.
Morning Matt and to the club.

If you didn't follow the official MGR bleeding procedure, try it now. There have been others before you who have found success by this method. Even though you're experienced, try to avoid the temptation of missing out stages because you don't think it matters. I have always followed the (slightly different) MGR procedure exactly for my V6 and have never had an air lock.

Of course, if you didn't have a tepid heater before the engine work, it's unlikely to be a blocked matrix.

Good luck.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 19th May 2016 at 11:34..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 04:05   #6
Matt 75

Thanks for all of the responses.

One last question before I decide on my plan of action, does the climate control system utilise the outside temp sensor reading to control the cabin temp?

I only say this as with mine reading 46 deg C min on the dash, even if I set the climate to 27 deg, the air climate will increase fan speed and start to blow lightly chilled air as though it's trying to compensate for it being really hot?

May be barking totally up the wrong tree here but may just be a total coincidence.

Cheers

Matt
Old 21st May 2016, 09:12   #7
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 75 View Post
... does the climate control system utilise the outside temp sensor reading to control the cabin temp?
According to MGR's climate control diagrams Matt, it doesn't. But you're now considering a fault with the air blending system which isn't consistent with your earlier evidence:
Quote:
Top heater pipe gets stinking hot but lower only gets reasonably hot which still suggests air lock or blocked matrix.
So, did you follow the specific MGR bleeding procedure to the letter?

Simon
Old 21st May 2016, 09:44   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The ambient temperature sensor 'communicates' with both the ECU and the ATC systems. If the ambient signal is incorrect, neither the ATC or engine management will operate as intended. The aircon will run under conditions it would otherwise not be required. For example, if the ambient is below the internal temperature settings, the refrigeration system isn't required. A permanent 45C signal will make the systems 'think' they're operating in the tropics.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 21st May 2016 at 09:47..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 11:11   #9
SD1too

I've now checked MG Rover's ATC chapter in more detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The ambient temperature sensor 'communicates' with both the ECU and the ATC systems.
There is no direct connection from the ambient temperature sensor to the ATC ECU. However, this ECU does have a K-bus connection and the ambient temperature information is available on that (via the IPK). MGR is unspecific about which sensors are involved in temperature regulation and how they are applied.
Stop Press!
I have found something relevant in MGR's 'Petrol Engine Management' workbook. This states that the ambient temperature sensor signal is used by the ECM (in conjunction with the evaporator temperature signal and the trinary switch) to calculate the air conditioning load in order accurately to control the idle speed. There is no mention of the ambient temperature signal being used in connection with cabin temperature regulation.

Quote:
If the ambient signal is incorrect, neither the ATC or engine management will operate as intended. The aircon will run under conditions it would otherwise not be required.
Is this just supposition? RAVE says that if there is a fault with the ambient temperature input (code 12 on the ATC diagnostics) a default value of 10°C is applied.
Quote:
For example, if the ambient is below the internal temperature settings, the refrigeration system isn't required.
Not true I'm afraid. Try it for yourself! Under those conditions the compressor will still run between certain cabin target temperatures, and those are not what you might be imagining! For example, at an ambient temperature of 3.5°C and a cabin temperature of 10.5°C my compressor ran only between target temperature settings of 19 and 22°C.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 21st May 2016 at 14:33.. Reason: an addition
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 13:08   #10
Matt 75

Not looked any further into yet as injured right hand and can't use it for a week!

Wasn't trying to be awkward, just looking at the evidence it's presenting and evaluating/evolving.

Hoses are getting hot, particularly top heart hose, bottom wasn't quite as hot but the realised I had interior fan on full blast which would cool the return anyway slightly.

Temp gauge fine, rad fan cuts in out fine no evidence of overheating.

Air con fan running all the time even with temps set at 28 deg, only goes off when switch to Eco mode. If lower to 25 deg cooler air is injected into cabin.

This is why I asked about correlation between the sensors. If it does think it's 46.5 deg outside, this may be reason for cool air even at 28 deg setting.

Have run the climate panel self test and no codes stored.

Looked as best I can with bad hand at where outside temp sensor should be and can't seem to find it.

That's as far as I've got so far.

Thanks for all the input so far though, really helpful.

Matt