Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2016, 19:50   #1
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

Default not happy !

I treated my 75 to valet on sat, wash, polish etc...was looking lovely, come home from work today to find both ends of my street closed because they had decided to rip up the road surface, my car was parked in the drive, covered in lovely black tar dust and tar spots, the first thing I thought to do was rinse it which was stupid as I should have taken photos first although the paintwork is still rather gritty and you can still see the tar spots, what im more peed of at is the fact that we got no letters or notice that this was even getting done ! if I had knew this the car could have been out the way and this would never have happened, am I over reacting or should I be taking this further ?
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 19:53   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You are not over reacting at all, get a price for a full detail to put the damage right and approach the council.
Old 8th March 2016, 00:58   #3
Hantsdave
Loves to post

2004 CDTi SE TOURER

It is well worth complaining to the council, just depends which council is responsible for highways in your area.
I think your local council is Clackmannanshire Council - email [email protected]

They will obviously wriggle but if they didn't put any warning notices up they are on thin ice. They must undertake all such works with 'Due care'.

David.
Previously owned..Austin Mini Countryman, Austin 1100 VDP, Princess 2200HL (x2), Ambassador VDP, TR7, Triumph Stag, Rover 820, Rover 216 GSi, Rover 420D, Rover 600 Si, Rover 600 GSi, Montego GSi, Rover 216 cabriolet, Jaguar XJ6 Gold, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Tourer CDTi (x3), Rover 75 CDT x 2, Rover 75 Connie V6, Rover 45. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 x 2, Jeep Chrokee KK Plus a few other foreign ones I'm too embarrassed to mention..
Hantsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 05:24   #4
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantsdave View Post
It is well worth complaining to the council, just depends which council is responsible for highways in your area.
I think your local council is Clackmannanshire Council - email [email protected]

They will obviously wriggle but if they didn't put any warning notices up they are on thin ice. They must undertake all such works with 'Due care'.

David.
I'm going to call them this morning when I get a chance. If there happy to pay to have the car re-polished that's fine and I will leave it at that. I'm in no way angry at the roadworkers or contractors, there only doing a job, my problem is with whatever incompetent person / department sitting behind a desk who made the decision. Prevention is better than cure and this could have been prevented.

Last edited by mcd840; 8th March 2016 at 05:34..
Old 8th March 2016, 05:59   #5
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Maddening

This is so annoying! Same thing happened to me when parked outside work a couple of weeks ago. Took hours to get it all off. Due to digging, re filling then putting down new tar on a day when it was very wet and windy.
My car was covered down one side. And... I mean covered. Got most of it off now but some residual spots keep appearing. Spotted (pardon the pun) another one on driver's window last night.

Good luck with fighting the council. Not an easy task!

I am still furious!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 06:23   #6
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd840 View Post
I treated my 75 to valet on sat, wash, polish etc...was looking lovely, come home from work today to find both ends of my street closed because they had decided to rip up the road surface, my car was parked in the drive, covered in lovely black tar dust and tar spots, the first thing I thought to do was rinse it which was stupid as I should have taken photos first although the paintwork is still rather gritty and you can still see the tar spots, what im more peed of at is the fact that we got no letters or notice that this was even getting done ! if I had knew this the car could have been out the way and this would never have happened, am I over reacting or should I be taking this further ?
Take it further.
18 years ago I was in a town whereby the road went under a fly-over, with lights right under it. At the time they were doing maintenance and at the stage of spraying the steelwork with some heavy grey primer, I saw a cloud of what I learned later was paint spray and not dust.
Two days later it rained and switching on the wipers I was unable to see out, on closer inspection I saw that the screen and paintwork were covered in sandpaper like coating, it dawned on me then that the dust cloud was over-spray.
Long story short, it took six months and eventually got £650 from the contractors, never did fix it, had three cars at that time.
So go for it, you have nothing to loose.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 05:52   #7
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Phoned the council yesterday and eventually got a phone call back in the afternoon from the roads officer, it seems a few of the neighbours had been on the phone to him, not because of mess on cars, simply because they never bothered to tell anyone the street was getting closed, my street was a last minute choice to get done as they had money left over from re-surfacing nearby streets and they thought they were doing good by giving us a new road. I wasn't giving him a hard time I just explained why I'm annoyed and how this could have been prevented and what action I expect them to take in correcting it. His reply was so you just want your car cleaned? then he mentioned that tar remover will do the trick. My reply was no, the car will get professionaly re-done as it were on Saturday and Clackmannanshire Council will pay for it. As you can imagine there's a process I need to go through for this.
Old 9th March 2016, 14:50   #8
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

At least your road has been resurfaced Every year the road near my house has the same spots open up with large craters and they just put a mound of tarmac in it until that breaks up, then repeat.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 16:24   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

So they have just re-surfaced your road ..... that means they will dig it up next week .....
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 18:37   #10
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
So they have just re-surfaced your road ..... that means they will dig it up next week .....
Aye no doubt, does look alot better mind you. Unlike my 75, that's a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- mess