Notices

Old 22nd January 2020, 10:39   #21
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Thanks, I welcome the discussion! The more thought given, the more the unintended consequences loom:

An offender gets fined for speeding and for one reason or another fails to pay the fine.

At the moment (I think) the court would need to take further action to achieve payment. That would mean the court reviewing the case and would be limited to the options available to them, not necessarily with the offender in front of them.

Suppose the subject needs his licence for his work, either to get to it or he is a driver. Suppose the law now enables his licence to be suspended for non-payment of his fine. Now he can neither get to work nor do it if he could get there. How do we suppose the fine gets paid? He could conceivably be sent to prison, possibly for the original sin of exceeding 30mph, with the fine still not paid.

Draconian to say the least, and in my view over the top for the sin of offending the judges dignity or for what could be a very minor contempt. Judges already are not famous for their worldliness and, following a bad seafood lunch, might wield a heavy hand to crack a nut.

As I said earlier, there are already adequate options to follow and I can't see any good reason for slavishly following our trans-Atlantic cousins in their legal entanglements by increasing government's heavy ill-considered hand.
pay the fine/penalty or agree a payment plan then no need to have licence suspended. The fine/penalty does not need to be for a motoring offence, as an example smashing a shop window. My suggestion if for those that refuse to pay.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:08   #22
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

What’s the percentage of those not paying motoring fines ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:42   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
What’s the percentage of those not paying motoring fines ?

I don't know but I'm not thinking just motoring but if they refuse to pay any fine or penalty such as for refusing to pay child maintenance, for breaking a shop window, for paying court costs awarded against them etc etc

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 13:13   #24
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Careful

You really have to be careful when you start amending law and consequence to suit popular belief. Cases are unique and it should be left to the courts to hand out punishments. There is I am sure the need to review some sentencing but the law is there. There is little to be gained by using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Factors behind offences can often be complex and taking action that in effect interferes with one's ability to move about freely should be kept for serious offences only.

Taking things to an interfering extreme would you be happy if you got 3 points every time your car exceeded the speed limit as we all had to have black boxes in our cars? Even the most careful driver exceeds the speed limit from time to time. Even say 34 in a 30 a few times a month would lead to you being banned every couple of months.

I certainly would not support measures that would take away your ability to move about and the possible knock on effect on other people ...say in your family.
Completely a separate issue should be kept as that. The courts already have the means to hand out sentencing and ensure they are complied with.
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote