Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd January 2020, 17:59   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default History, WWII who cares?

I went to RAF Uxbridge today, this is where the bunker that controlled the Battle of Britain is located.

Nice visitor centre with somewhere to get something to eat and drink.
The guide was very enthusiastic and it was very interesting.

When I got there it was a bit emotional, not quite sure why but at the end I felt it a bit sad. In a few years, will anyone care?

WWII was nearly 80 years ago. Is it so long ago that for teenagers of today, it is not important? WWI was even further in the past.

How long will it be before it is "forgotten" or become "unimportant"?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:11   #2
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

My granddaughter in her last year of primary school (first year comprehensive last September) learned about WW2. I lent her a couple of books I have that she read. When the subject was finished after 3 weeks all the class had to dress up as an evacuee. She really enjoyed it.
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:15   #3
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I have the complete DVD collection of the “World at War Series”. I recall watching it as a kid in the 70’s. It should be compulsory viewing for youngsters.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:20   #4
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

My kids have been educated by myself and my wife plus their school too. They understand hopefully the sacrifices people made for our freedoms. They have been to museums and know some of what went on. I hope in answer to your question, that future generations don't forget.

It amazes me as I grow older (and have been lucky to have a full life) that some people were brave enough to do things like getting on bombers knowing their chances of survival were so slim. They still got on with it knowing if they didn't do it the war could be lost.

Let's hope people always remember the lessons from the wars and never find themselves in another war.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:08   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I think its something you appreciate more as you get older, as a teenager I was far too busy doing teenage stuff, its only as you comprehend life do you appreciate what the sacrifice was.
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:09   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
I have the complete DVD collection of the “World at War Series”. I recall watching it as a kid in the 70’s. It should be compulsory viewing for youngsters.
I have that too. I recall them series saying about the Germans going into a village, separating men from woman and children and murdering them all, men, woman and children. I think the village was destroyed and was never rebuilt.
I found the killing very upsetting. Some murders I can understand but hatred to murder like that, I cannot understand.

macafee2
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:29   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have that too. I recall them series saying about the Germans going into a village, separating men from woman and children and murdering them all, men, woman and children. I think the village was destroyed and was never rebuilt.
I found the killing very upsetting. Some murders I can understand but hatred to murder like that, I cannot understand.

macafee2
The village is Oradour sur Glane and whilst travelling through France near to Limoge we stopped and put the destination into the sat nav. We thought that as it was near we should go out of respect as I also remembered it from the World at War ( I was scared of the opening titles with the burning pictures as a youngster !)

The walk to the main street was a shock with the tram line and overhead cables still in place and as we walked past the damaged shops and houses, cars were still in garages and the main square. The Church looked in good condition but once inside the reality was the bullet holes in the wall after the poor people were shot.

At this point my wife was in tears and we decided to leave passing many upset people as we left.

The reality of the day the horror happened was that they targeted the wrong Oradour as a supposed village that the resistance came from !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:05   #8
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's often said that those who don't know history or forget it are doomed to repeat it. Trouble is to be taught it often prompts accusations of glorification of conflict. And of course history is usually written by the victors.

Whatever, merely to be aware of the bravery of our glorious predecessors in the face of terrible consequences can be a spur to avoid falling into the same traps as their leaders did. Of course, we remember there were civilian casualties on both sides as well.

It won't be long before there will not be anyone alive that 'was there', so all the more important not to forget. When mention of the calibre of the bullet or the bomb is replaced by the celebration of the courage it will be time enough for joy.
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:11   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
It's often said that those who don't know history or forget it are doomed to repeat it. Trouble is to be taught it often prompts accusations of glorification of conflict. And of course history is usually written by the victors.

Whatever, merely to be aware of the bravery of our glorious predecessors in the face of terrible consequences can be a spur to avoid falling into the same traps as their leaders did. Of course, we remember there were civilian casualties on both sides as well.

It won't be long before there will not be anyone alive that 'was there', so all the more important not to forget. When mention of the calibre of the bullet or the bomb is replaced by the celebration of the courage it will be time enough for joy.

and it must be remembered that there were honest members of the opposing armed forces. Not all were filled with "hatred", they were doing either their duty or what they believed in

macafee2
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:49   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A couple of years ago I visited Nordhausen https://www.buchenwald.de/en/29/

I was surprised to find that the majority of the visitors were school children from Germany on School trips. One of the teachers was telling me it was part of the school syllabus and they had to learn about the Nazis ( there way of separating them selves from the horror I presume)

If you are ever in that part of Germany I would recommend it as the tunnels are truly amazing in there size. They had a scale model of the whole complex that was about 3 feet long, we walked for about 30 mins and that was less than 4 inches on the model.

Maybe our schools should have it on there syllabus? In my view its probably more interest than wives of Henry 8th or Oliver Cromwell.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote