Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2016, 09:58   #1
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Default So does anybody like windows 10?

I remember some time ago saying I had changed back my old computer to windows 7 having tried the windows 10 upgrade without success.

Apart from having to learn a new system and finding issues such as transferring photos/videos from my camera, my old pc just ended up crashing so I went back to windows 7.

At that time I had lots of people on here championing the cause of Windows 10 but I seem to be seeing more and more disliking it?

My situation now is I have bought, what is for me, an all singing all dancing HP AIO 23" touch screen with windows 10. I have kept my old one with windows 7 as a safeguard.

Now it's been with us a while, what's your opinions re windows 10??
Old 11th July 2016, 10:15   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Its OK, but I dislike the point that to get at some functions you have to find where they have hidden them. Apart from that, its slow for me. The I do like Xp still (on this machine)
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 10:16   #3
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

I like it and wouldn't change back to Windows 8.1, previous laptop ran Windows 7 and earlier ones Vista and XP etc. Not fan of Apps so don't use them at all preferring standard mouse as used to for decades.

Windows 10 is leaner and faster than any previous version and just as easy to use, use right click on the Start icon to reveal all the things you are accustomed to seeing from C Prompt to control panel, programs and features, system, power options and file manager etc.

Like any software you need to get familiar with it before making a judgement, I remember being used to Windows 3.1 and not really liking Windows 95 when it first appeared.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 10:19   #4
willshot
Posted a thing or two

Ex-ZI190 owner. ,Ford Focus RS

Default Windows 10 OK

I have 2 desktops (1 ex-Win 7 and 1 ex-Win 8.1) and 2 laptops (both ex- Win 8.1) and have no problems whatsoever. All my old apps work fine including Office 2000 and the games I like to play. I did initially have some minor issues but as soon as upgraded the graphics drivers on each of the computers to the latest Win 10 ones things have been fine. I wouldn't dream of going back to a previous version now.
willshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 10:30   #5
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I had a go on someone else's computer that had it update to W10. Problem is it didn't load up properly i think. The start menu won't work, when you minimise a page it disappears. Annoying to say the least.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 10:44   #6
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I liked windows 7 and hated windows 8

I like windows 10 best of all and would not go back. It never has a problem and now I have customised the start menu it is the simplest I have ever used.

Oh, the wife likes windows 10 on her laptop also.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 13:54   #7
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

I'm not averse to change and have used everything from DOS and Windows 3.1
(including non MS systems) up to Windows 10.

Didn't like it. Not on my laptop anyway. I gave it a fair go for a few weeks but decided to revert back to Win 7. However, Mrs Sprinter has W10 on her HP 360 convertible and it works really well there. Today she asks me why everything appears different when she hasn't changed anything. When I said 'that'll be the updates,' she said she didn't want them and could she turn them off. No, that's the price of free W10. *

Don't like the lack of user control.
Don't the data harvesting from Microsoft.
Don't like the layout\app bias.

Good for tablets etc.
Good operating speed (for now).

*note: I know there are workarounds for all the things I don't like about W10 but it's easier to stick with W7.
Old 11th July 2016, 14:28   #8
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

8 was bad, 10 even worse. Awful interface and you have to re learn everything which is a pain in the botty. I know we should move forward and advance but this is rubbish and change for changes sake. Takes control away from the user which to the cynic like me means Microsoft has more control. Back on 7 - everything works fine and it ain't any slower. Many will say 10 is faster because they don't like admitting they've been hoodwinked.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 16:07   #9
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Love it.
Used XP for approx 15 years and then a week or two on Windows 8.1 before I upgraded to 10.
Found it very intuitive.
I have not had any problems even with old hardware.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 16:34   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Ex- Win7 to Win 10 laptop and it has been great here. I don't tax it very much, just forum, a bit of email and newsgroups, plus an occasional bit of Internet research. For the more serious stuff, I use my WinXP desktop still.

A friend in the same position (7 to 10) rang me last week, complaining his scanner (or rather the software) had suddenly failed and was locking up his W10. I suggested he uninstall and reinstall the software and drivers from the original CD for the Canon printer/scanner. It then worked fine.

It does seem to be a bit more responsive than it was.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote