Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th June 2016, 08:23   #21
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Thanks Brian. I will check that - plenum drains were cleaned out recently but that's definitely a good call.

However I have an update. I've just had a call from the garage's mechanic saying that they discovered a huge amount of water in the fuel tank. That would make sense as I filled up on the way to work yesterday (yes, definitely with diesel), so I only drove about half a mile on to work after filling up in the morning. With the flash flooding we've been having, I suspect the filling station has had their fuel tanks flooded.

Of course I'll need a new fuel filter and there could be damage to the injectors still.
Not good.
I've spoken to the filling station but they claim to have had no other reports of contaminated fuel.

Last edited by BigAde; 25th June 2016 at 08:27..
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 08:31   #22
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Thanks Brian. I will check that - plenum drains were cleaned out recently but that's definitely a good call.

However I have an update. I've just had a call from the garage's mechanic saying that they discovered a huge amount of water in the fuel tank. That would make sense as I filled up on the way to work yesterday (yes, definitely with diesel), so I only drove about half a mile on to work after filling up in the morning. With the flash flooding we've been having, I suspect the filling station has had their fuel tanks flooded.

Of course I'll need a new fuel filter and there could be damage to the injectors still.
Not good.
I've spoken to the filling station but they claim to have had no other reports of contaminated fuel.
Ask the filling station or trading standards to dip the tanks asap, the fuel should float on top of the water...
Old 25th June 2016, 08:40   #23
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Ask the filling station or trading standards to dip the tanks asap, the fuel should float on top of the water...
I just phoned them.
The manager's not there. The person I spoke to said that the diesel tanks are empty anyway and they're waiting for delivery. I said that he should check the tanks anyway but he just said "thank you" and hung up.
Old 25th June 2016, 08:43   #24
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
I just phoned them.
The manager's not there. The person I spoke to said that the diesel tanks are empty anyway and they're waiting for delivery. I said that he should check the tanks anyway but he just said "thank you" and hung up.
Call back, tell them its an official complaint and you require the persons name, a reference fir the complaint and the name and number if the station manager and the head office.
Old 25th June 2016, 09:21   #25
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Call back, tell them its an official complaint and you require the persons name, a reference fir the complaint and the name and number if the station manager and the head office.
From the response I got on the phone, I don't think that's going to do any good. I've submitted a complaint direct to Gulf Oil via their website. Personally I suspect that they know they've got a problem, which is why they've shut the diesel pumps down.
Old 25th June 2016, 09:31   #26
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
From the response I got on the phone, I don't think that's going to do any good. I've submitted a complaint direct to Gulf Oil via their website. Personally I suspect that they know they've got a problem, which is why they've shut the diesel pumps down.
Straight on the phone to trading standards then and send the repair bill to Gulf
Old 25th June 2016, 09:41   #27
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Hi Ade I've just noticed your thread on here,

With water sucked in I'd imagine the engine would start and run with the good fuel in the lines/filters until that was replaced by the water - a few minutes or so at best - then it would stop.

The water would have also gone through the pumps and injectors which I can't see as being good, but these garages typically, come up with the same old excuse "you must've got the fuel somewhere else" never wanting to take responsibility or liability for anything.

I would suggest as klazy said contact trading standards.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 09:50   #28
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Yeah, you're right, just a pity they won't pick it up until Monday now.
I'm not sure if I report it to East Sussex Trading Standards (where I live) or West Sussex Trading Standards (where the garage is). I'll do both just to be sure.
Old 25th June 2016, 10:10   #29
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Remember this happening at Tesco in Poole, details here

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 10:32   #30
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, just a pity they won't pick it up until Monday now.
I'm not sure if I report it to East Sussex Trading Standards (where I live) or West Sussex Trading Standards (where the garage is). I'll do both just to be sure.
Just keep the receipt, leave the message on the answerphone so they have a date and time, ask the garage for a written report saying that no water leak on the car flooded the tank and it could only gotten in by filling.

If you can ask the clerk to put his name to a letter stating that the tanks are off due to being empty and not because of contamination..