Closed Thread

Old 24th June 2016, 15:21   #961
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I suspect that a few of the oldies who voted out will be dead by the time the long term benefits are realised.

I've no doubt about that Phil, Celia and me for one! We've lived long and full, never claimed any benefit of any kind other than state pension, never been a drain on the state. Our two daughters also have social consciences, one a carer doing a degree in psychiatry and the other a teaching artist. If I thought for a minute their future would be half as bleak as some on here gloat about I'd fund their migration to where it isn't.
And that's the point. I've gathered a few smarts along the way and discovered how to provide for me and mine independently, and brought the girls up the same. If they stay here when we've gone I'll be happy in my non-turning grave, content for them to have that elusive combo - a history and a future.
Old 24th June 2016, 15:51   #962
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

If we had sufficient 'right stuff' we wouldn't have run away from the EU, we would have stayed and worked to improve things, throwing our toys out of the pram will get us nothing.

As I stated in the new thread from the morning, I believe a lot of people voted as they did as a protest against the ills of the country. Austerity, lack of NHS investment, too little decent housing and the fact that the majority of people in 'poverty' are actually in households that contain a paid worker. It was too easy for the Leave side to sweep up this dissatisfaction and lay it at the door of immigration. I'm not referring to all the people in this thread, just listening to the reasons people cite in TV and radio interviews.

Now what happens if Spanish or French fishing boats come and fish in our territorial waters? Who sorts it out without the EU?

If the French ever block our beef imports as they did in the CJD crisis, who will sort that out?

And more importantly, if my daughter and Klarzy's son go galavanting around Europe in a few years together, love Milan so much they decide to stay an extra week by funding it by working in a bar, I assume that is now illegal? Be interested to hear if not.
Old 24th June 2016, 15:57   #963
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

The right stuff?

THE MAN WHO WINS

The man who wins is an average man,
Not built to any peculiar plan,
Not blessed with any peculiar luck;
Just steady and earnest and full of pluck.

When asked a question, he does not “guess”.
He knows, and answers, “No or “Yes.”
When set a task that the rest can’t do,
He buckles down till he’s seen it through.

Three things he’s learned: that the man who tries
Finds favour in his employer’s eyes;
That it pays to know more than one thing well;
That it doesn’t pay, “all he knows, to tell”.

So he works and waits, till one fine day,
There’s a better job with bigger pay,
And the men who shirked whenever they could
Now work for the “man whose work made good”.

For the man who wins Is the man who works,
Who neither labour nor trouble shirks,
Who uses his hands, his head, his eyes;
The man who wins is the man who tries

Old 24th June 2016, 16:07   #964
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Your mindset seems to be stuck circa 1760. It's not a matter of man up-ing. We are one increasingly insignificant minnow in a sea of sharks. Our future prosperity will now depend on the terms others inflict upon us in trade talks that the other parties will be in no rush to conclude. Wise up!
Here we have a good example of a "glass half empty" mindset.

Not only that - but miffed that the vote did not go his way - we see an increasingly desperate attempt to metaphorically pee in his own glass now that reality points that his glass is as much half full as half empty
Old 24th June 2016, 16:21   #965
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I'm totally with you bobthebuilder. I do hope we don't cause the rest of Europe to follow suite. I'm so sad that I'm shortly not to be an European citizen.
Well, you'd better emigrate within the next two years while you still can then

When all is said and done we are going to be better off without being part of the EU, not the EEC which was a different animal entirely.

I was listening to coverage on Radio Four earlier, where an 80 year old man was actually weeping with joy that we have claimed back our sovereign nation.

Make no mistake, it is going to be hard to begin with, but not impossible, and the only people who seem to be crying the loudest at the moment are bankers and builders, for which my heart bleeds

I want a decent future for my children, not one where the welfare state and NHS are abused and stretched to breaking point by "health tourists", and wages for people being depressed to the lowest common denominator due to a surfeit of cheap imported labour.

Also a weaker Pound will ensure that manufacturing exports are more attractive to the ROW, including the EU, and manufacturing things and selling them is how a country should be making money for it's citizens.

Nobody knows what the next few months and years will bring, but make no mistake. being the master of your own destiny is the key thing.

Roll on 2018, it can't come soon enough for me

Brian
Old 24th June 2016, 16:31   #966
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well, you'd better emigrate within the next two years while you still can then

When all is said and done we are going to be better off without being part of the EU, not the EEC which was a different animal entirely.

I was listening to coverage on Radio Four earlier, where an 80 year old man was actually weeping with joy that we have claimed back our sovereign nation.

Make no mistake, it is going to be hard to begin with, but not impossible, and the only people who seem to be crying the loudest at the moment are bankers and builders, for which my heart bleeds

I want a decent future for my children, not one where the welfare state and NHS are abused and stretched to breaking point by "health tourists", and wages for people being depressed to the lowest common denominator due to a surfeit of cheap imported labour.

Also a weaker Pound will ensure that manufacturing exports are more attractive to the ROW, including the EU, and manufacturing things and selling them is how a country should be making money for it's citizens.

Nobody knows what the next few months and years will bring, but make no mistake. being the master of your own destiny is the key thing.

Roll on 2018, it can't come soon enough for me

Brian
First Post on this Thread, as I am keeping entirely out of it. My politics are exactly that, MINE. This is not the time nor the place to enforce them onto others (not that I would do that anyway).

But I have to saw, bloomin well said to the man with the half eaten biscuit in his gob!!! Couldnt have put it better myself.
Old 24th June 2016, 16:33   #967
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

I believe a lot of people voted as they did as a protest against the ills of the country. Austerity, lack of NHS investment, too little decent housing and the fact that the majority of people in 'poverty' are actually in households that contain a paid worker.

And more importantly, if my daughter and Klarzy's son go galavanting around Europe in a few years together, love Milan so much they decide to stay an extra week by funding it by working in a bar, I assume that is now illegal? Be interested to hear if not.
Bob, I think you are not giving people credit for using their own intellect to decide what is right for them and indeed their offspring's futures, regardless of which way they voted yesterday.

Make no bones about it, we are a small island nation, with finite resources and infrastructure in place, and I've seen first hand what impact this is having on the NHS for instance.

In regards to the European road trip......you forgot to mention the excessive roaming charges they are going to be paying for using their mobile phones whilst in Milan

The majority of people in a fair and unbiased way have voted to leave the EU, and while this may not, or should I say does not fit in with your ideal, that is what has happened.

Now instead of wringing your hands in despair, why not plan your future using your skill and talent to create, a better future for your children.......it is possible you know, the world as we know it hasn't ended overnight

Brian
Old 24th June 2016, 16:35   #968
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

I'm surprised at how many sore losers we have on this thread Please invest in a BACKBONE and have some trust in what could again be a great country

Steve
Old 24th June 2016, 16:37   #969
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Here we have a good example of a "glass half empty" mindset.

Not only that - but miffed that the vote did not go his way - we see an increasingly desperate attempt to metaphorically pee in his own glass now that reality points that his glass is as much half full as half empty
DD, if the sole point of your post is slag off my personality please don't bother. I was happily contributing to the other thread knowing that you weren't involved in it, hence my disappointment at its being merged.
Old 24th June 2016, 16:50   #970
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
DD, if the sole point of your post is slag off my personality please don't bother. I was happily contributing to the other thread knowing that you weren't involved in it, hence my disappointment at its being merged.
I have no problem with your "personality" - it is the constant whinging that this is wrong, that is wrong - and that you seem to have so little faith in your country.

There are such people who see a glass 50% filled as "Half empty" - and there are those that seem that same glass as being "Half full".

I would suggest you try to see some positives in the outcome of the vote.

I voted Out despite my wanting to tour round Europe and my admiration for the ECJ. But the debacle that is the EU and its appalling treatment of some of its member states - Greece in particular and also Spanish youth unemployment - is something that I simply could not countenance.

Try to look at the bigger picture - not just You - not even just the UK - this result is a wake up call for the whole of the EU.
Closed Thread