Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2016, 18:26   #11
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post
I don't think it is going into the oil as the level never rises and it is not milky at all.

Regards John

The water can get into the oil and burn off, as in evaporate!
That would not cause the oil level to rise at all, neither would it cause the oil to go milky.
If the water lost is above a certain amount, then you will see it, but you are complaining about small amounts, which could disappear the way I have suggested.
Old 15th June 2016, 21:29   #12
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Yes you could be right. Its a guessing game at the moment.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 12:41   #13
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Its the water pump. Yesterday and today stripped it down and removed the water pump. You can see pink water staining in the evap chamber and the bottom of the pump. It appears to be leaking at the bearing. This pump was a new MG Rover item when I did all the work five and a half years ago. It must of failed early on and has been getting slowly worse.

Regards John
Old 16th June 2016, 13:19   #14
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

You say "the pump was a new MG/Rover item five and a half years ago" the OEM warranty was way less than that, yet the evaporation chamber was there so that 'minor leaks' didn't cause the owner to complain to the dealership - no sight of a leak, no work required under warranty.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 15:20   #15
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
You say "the pump was a new MG/Rover item five and a half years ago" the OEM warranty was way less than that, yet the evaporation chamber was there so that 'minor leaks' didn't cause the owner to complain to the dealership - no sight of a leak, no work required under warranty.
Its not the cost of the pump its all the work required to change it. With the evap chamber you don't get to know its leaking until it gets a lot.

Regards John
Old 16th June 2016, 15:40   #16
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post
Its not the cost of the pump its all the work required to change it. With the evap chamber you don't get to know its leaking until it gets a lot.

Regards John
After breakdown patrol caused HGF on my 1.8T repairs were carried out by Mike Stafford of MJS Auto and Marine from Worthing, despite existing WP having covered only 40K since earlier replacement and no signs of wear or leakage at all, a new one was fitted while easily accessible, just in case!

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 16:09   #17
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
After breakdown patrol caused HGF on my 1.8T repairs were carried out by Mike Stafford of MJS Auto and Marine from Worthing, despite existing WP having covered only 40K since earlier replacement and no signs of wear or leakage at all, a new one was fitted while easily accessible, just in case!
Totally agree. I am fitting a new timing belt and tensioner while I am in there. Belt and tensioner have only just done over half their work at 50,000mls but they have to come off to change the water pump. Gone with a Circoli water pump, looks well made but we will see.

Regards John
Old 16th June 2016, 19:25   #18
thegreatdaddo
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I have had exactly the same experience on my 1.8T. There is a slow loss of coolant from max to min level over a couple of months, during which I cover approximately 1,000 miles. During the last 10 years, I have changed all the likely leakage sources without making any difference. This includes replacing the reservoir cap, inlet manifold gasket, water pump, Tee piece, hose clips and head gasket (MLS replacement fitted). There is no sign of an external leak and no obvious sign of the coolant getting into the oil. Since this problem seems to affect the 1.8T, I am starting to think that the coolant may be leaking from the turbo charger, which is connected to the engine coolant circuit. I have not had to change it yet. Maybe one of the club members who has disassembled a turbo can comment on whether there was any sign of coolant leakage?
thegreatdaddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 08:00   #19
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatdaddo View Post
I have had exactly the same experience on my 1.8T. There is a slow loss of coolant from max to min level over a couple of months, during which I cover approximately 1,000 miles. During the last 10 years, I have changed all the likely leakage sources without making any difference. This includes replacing the reservoir cap, inlet manifold gasket, water pump, Tee piece, hose clips and head gasket (MLS replacement fitted). There is no sign of an external leak and no obvious sign of the coolant getting into the oil. Since this problem seems to affect the 1.8T, I am starting to think that the coolant may be leaking from the turbo charger, which is connected to the engine coolant circuit. I have not had to change it yet. Maybe one of the club members who has disassembled a turbo can comment on whether there was any sign of coolant leakage?
In my case its the water pump. My mistake was assuming the pump was good as I replaced it when I first got the car. I reckon it started leaking within 5000mls of use. It was a genuine MG Rover one too. Rover designed an evaporator chamber to hide leaking pumps. They couldn't seem to design one that didn't leak. All down to cost I guess.

Regards John
Old 17th June 2016, 09:03   #20
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatdaddo View Post
I am starting to think that the coolant may be leaking from the turbo charger, which is connected to the engine coolant circuit.
It is, but impossible for coolant to leak into the engine unless the tubocharger body is cracked. There are no water seals like those in the water pump. The cooling jacket is a closed cavity with inlet/outlet drillings from the outside. There's no contact with the rotating parts.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote