Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2016, 08:59   #1
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Taking pictures with my analogue cameras

Yesterday I went out and bought a reel of Ilford XP2 film and because of problems with my main cameras lens (nikon F50 with a 55mm lens), I put the film in my newly acquired Zenit Photosniper with 300mm Tere lens!

So I went out with this beast and will show you the results when I get the film processed on thursday!

But i'm new to this camera lark so don't scold me to harsh if its not to taste!
Old 26th April 2016, 09:12   #2
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Good luck Stu, hope the film comes out OK

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 15:43   #3
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I don't know how to flip photos around?
Old 26th April 2016, 18:12   #4
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

a trigger, a stock and telescopic sight - be careful where you film could easily be misinterpreted

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 19:18   #5
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Old 26th April 2016, 19:19   #6
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
a trigger, a stock and telescopic sight - be careful where you film could easily be misinterpreted
Thats what im worried about every time I take it out the house!
Old 28th April 2016, 18:27   #7
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I am now writing a second experience which is with my partners old Nikon F50 semi pro entry level camera which has had some mold problems with the lense and possibly with the body itself (we don't know that but the pictures have spots through the viewfinder and the autofocus doesn't work properly anymore!)

I will post up pictures unprocessed in the meanwhile! and you can decide for yourself if I think should ditch the camera and get something more substantial like the nikon D3200, D5200 or maybe even the D7100 Digital based body digital camera (even though I'm beginner classes, but need a new camera!)

I would like a digital camera and have £350 to spend with a lens! what do people think I would love a Nikon camera even second hand!
Old 1st May 2016, 16:28   #8
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Just finished doing some photo editing (the first time Ive done this), to my stack of black and white pictures. I also unloaded some film up a place called Devil's Dike and now will have to wait until tuesday to get the films developed (again both in black and white, using different filters for different effects).

Here is a picture I took of southwick from the top of the hill by my house (southwick is two miles away so I think it is quite a good shot considering the distance! taken with a tare 300mm Lens F11, 1/500ths sec shutter speed):

The second shot is the edited version of my cat! (taken with the tare 300mm at a distance of three meters, set to 1/250th sec shutter speed and f4.5):

The third is the radio transmission tower by my house taken from thirty meters away (300mm tare, f11, 1/500th sec shutter speed, taken with a orange filter), edited with false colour:

One of the front of my car (taken with 300mm tare lens @ 20 meters f7, 1/500th shutter speed):

A still life shot taken at 3 and a half meters away with the tare lens fitted (f11, 1/100ths shutter speed, without tripod, on trigger mount):

Finally a picture of me taken at 50 meters (300mm tare with f7 1/250th sec shutter speed and orange filter), all these were edited on my phone using a version of googles android photo editor. I will upgrade to photoshop when I can afford it:

I have about five films to develop (two B&W and three colour films), I also have a half spent UV film in the F50 now and a half spent B&W in the Zenit fotosniper. I will have to decide which is worth getting developed, as at £6 a shot it will be fairly expensive to get the whole lot done. Two colour films and a B&W film were taken with the F50 with a 28-200mm Sigma lens (with a mold problem (it's got loads of spots visible in the viewfinder and may severely affect the quality of the photos taken)). I didn't realise that the sigma lens had mold until I had taken two and a half rolls of film I always thought it was a problem with the viewfinder, until we checked some photos taken on it last year and found visible spots on the resulting pictures, cleaned the whole camera out and found the lens to be at fault.

So am now considering upgrading the camera to a Nikon D7100 DSLR as the lens for the F50 are hard to get now and the film camera is very dated, when everyone I know now has digital cameras. I'm lookign at a few cameras and found that a lot of DSLRS in manual mode does not allow for configuration of aperture (f stop), ISO (on some) or shutter speed (or the whole lot!, in my eyes that isn't a SLR camera if these don't have these facilities and I'm not going to spend upwards of £500 on a camera that doesn't have these facilities, when my manual analogue SLR does have these settings?
Also finding a camera that has some weight to it and doesn't feel cheap is another hurdle as I went into Jessops the other day to view their newer cameras and they feel that if you knocked them slightly too hard they would explode into tiny fragments (again my F50 is fairly substantial and I like something which has some weight to it. I know the lens adds quite a bit of weight to the body of the camera but for £300-£500 for some of the cameras I picked up the other day, they just didn't feel like a pricey camera at all and felt awfully cheap.

I'm still open to suggestions to what to get. I have looked at Nikon cameras mainly as my brother who is a semi professional photographer has always sworn by them and has all sorts of Nikon bodies for all sorts of occasions, including smaller ones for parties and professional framed (£2-3K) cameras, in his arsenal.

My mothers always had Pentax's and my dad's always had Canons, my partners dad reckons I should get a mid sized hasselblad camera and forget about getting a DSLR all together, but I have my heart set on getting a DSLR, as for I would like to grown my hobby into something more substantial!

I will always keep my analogue camera collection and maybe save up for a 120 film camera for pro shoots, but hopefully will be able to save up for a DSLR in the next month or two.

I will post up some of the pictures I get developed during the week here so watch this space! I might get them put on a CD this time and stuff the prints as I am taking photos with my smartphone to edit them and taking a picture of a B&W picture is adding some false colour to them, which I thought is odd, but any who! Ill see how much a CD will cost as I only have about £10 to get everything developed next week and anything more will have to wait to the following week!
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:22   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Hi Stuart,

It's very hard to tell how good a quality those photos are as there is a lot of processing gone on and taking a photo of the prints has lost a lot of the image detail and sharpness

I've never heard of any Dslr where in manual you can't adjust ISO/F Stop/Shutter speed/White balance etc.

That would be in auto mode that the camera decides on your behalf, are you sure you've read that correctly?

I shoot with Canon gear and not Nikon but I would think that their camera bodies (or any other brands ) are no different in that respect

Don't forget if you fancy a different brand I still have my Canon Eos 7D for sale on here complete with grip .
I bought this camera new in 2010 and it cost £1200 and is a proper metal bodied camera and not a plastic entry level model

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=235425

Last edited by coolcat; 2nd May 2016 at 07:28..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 08:01   #10
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I agree with Jeff about the F stop/Aperture topic. I have not heard of a DSLR that does not have this feature.

Most manufacturers make decent cameras. With Nikon and Canon you will find the best choice of lenses and accessories, new and used.

As you say, camera choice today is heading smaller and lighter but many of these cameras take superb images .

Plenty of sturdy ones out there still so the good thing is you can choose to go larger and sturdy or smaller and lighter.

You can of course buy a small all metal one as well.

I think most new, entry - to mid range DSLRs will be of a plastic construction but they are still pretty tough for normal use. £300-£500 is the price range for that type of camera. If you want all metal you may need to look at the used market. They make building site helmets from a type of plastic.

Many smaller cameras are mirror less and this style of camera is becoming more popular and capturing more of the market, (Pro and consumer)

So to summarise If you want a large sturdy DSLR I would suggest canon and Nikon offer the largest range of cameras and accessories. (nothing wrong with other makes, just not such a huge variety)

As for me I used to shoot Pentax DSLR and think they are fantastic. I now shoot a Sony mirror-less and most likely will not go back to a DSLR (nothing wrong with a DSLR, just a bit different)

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 2nd May 2016 at 09:31..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote