Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2016, 21:29   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default When did computers start to become regualry used?

Hiya all I have a question regarding computer technology, when was it when computers were starting to hit the market?

was it the early 60's or 70's?
I found some tapes in Ferodo, yes went back again and found some floppy discs and cassete tapes as well, which look like they were voice recorded its got the dates on them as well.

Just wanted to know when computers started to take form and when all business had them for storing data work targets etc.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 6th April 2016 at 21:45..
Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 23:24   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Early 70's I would say. We had a system at work in the local Austin Rover Main Dealer and it was housed in a room by its own.

The paper used then was the large wide sheet type with the punch holes either side.

I had a friend who worked at Digital in Ayr and remember being invited to an open day there. He said within a couple of years almost everyone will have a PC in their home.
I thought he was a bit sceptical but within just a few years PC's were made available to everyone.

I still have my original Windows 95 PC dry stored in the loft (sad NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- )

BTW I've also got loads of those early floppy discs some unused.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 00:25   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Floppy disks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk

May be of help

As to when computer became to be regularly used..... This is open to interpretation... Government, business or domestic ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer

Well you did ask

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 00:26   #4
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Early 70's I would say. We had a system at work in the local Austin Rover Main Dealer and it was housed in a room by its own.

The paper used then was the large wide sheet type with the punch holes either side.

I had a friend who worked at Digital in Ayr and remember being invited to an open day there. He said within a couple of years almost everyone will have a PC in their home.
I thought he was a bit sceptical but within just a few years PC's were made available to everyone.

I still have my original Windows 95 PC dry stored in the loft (sad NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- )

BTW I've also got loads of those early floppy discs some unused.
Ok so if they were came out in the 70's that means during the 60's They wouldn't have anything dating from the 1960's which was the time my Grand father was working then. Damn it.

I was hoping to find some sort of record of my grand fathers employment there.

guess I'll have to search the paper work or old kept files.

How ever I did find something interesting in a red file, design specifications of for brake discs, pads and callipers with carriers and yes it had Rover spec as well.

I reckon these were going to be designed and sold on to different garages or company's that would buy them, there was a few on there too, including Rover SD1. Rover 800 Rover 400 Rover 416 Aussie spec, Rover 200 I can go on, didn't find anything on the 75 or ZT tho, then again the file was 2001 dated.

Just one question back then they did use to record there own messages and send them away, like manufacturing updates and business sort of thing? I found lots of tapes, no music on them, there all dated and have specific instruction on them too.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 7th April 2016, 00:33   #5
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Floppy disks...

May be of help

As to when computer became to be regularly used..... This is open to interpretation... Government, business or domestic ?

Well you did ask
Thanks Andrew.

I remember when I was school using floppy discs, remember jamming one of them in the machine as well and wouldn't pop out. oops.

I was looking into lines of bushiness when they started suing them more then anything, but the wikki link is proving to be an interesting read.

Thanks again Andrew.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 7th April 2016, 07:27   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

When I was at school the nearest thing to a PC was a nib pen you dipped in the inkwell on your desk lol, Blotting paper was big back then .

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 07:48   #7
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Floppy disks...

May be of help

Well you did ask
When i started working with computers its was the 8" floppy disk and paper tape and now i feel old
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 08:11   #8
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
When i started working with computers its was the 8" floppy disk and paper tape and now i feel old
So do I; first experience of a computer terminal was in a wooden box, you set levers on the front for input to print receipt onto customer payment card, it did have a 'modem' - you placed big old black BT phone into what looked like a shoebox to connect to mainframe at head office, upload/ download and processing time was strictly limited in minutes per month.

First IBM look-a-like cost me over £1000 with 20mb HD 64K RAM and 3.25" floppy drive with no software apart from DOS 6.0, wanted it to do something, write you own programme in DOS or BASIC.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 08:39   #9
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

my first computer was a Acorn BBC Master model B Installed with BASIC, Ive also had a atari ST and Commodore amiga's (A500, A600 and A1200).

I know the first computer was made during the end of the war, called colossus which was used for cracking the lorenz cipher for enigma, this was followed by some computers by remington rand and the americans (which probably nicked the tech from us!) then it was computers made by IBM and the rest is history! (but i guess the first computer was babbage's analytical engine, which was mechanical, colossus was the first valve electronic computer)

work system computers came in the 60's to early 70's, but these were huge computer systems! the first home computers were in the late 70's!
Old 7th April 2016, 08:47   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

My kids were born in 1977 and 1979, very shortly after we thought it wise to invest in a computer so that they were ahead at school.

There was the Sinclair, the Commodore, Amega or BBC, so went for a Sharps MZ700, well the salesman persuaded us. The Operating System was "Basic" and installed each time by cassette tape. We thought we were well up to date.

Data storage had been in since the late 1960's with computers requiring large sterile rooms; one of my colleagues at work now has the habit of sharing his snacks with everybody, 'cos he leaves bits for us in the keyboards. Computers have amazing ability which I estimate we only normally use about 5% of.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote