Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th July 2016, 10:30   #21
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

This sort of explains what Salt means; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(cryptography)

Where people go wrong is they use names or dates of birth or really simple passwords that can easily be hacked.

I use software which I pay a yearly licence for to both store and create my passwords.
This so far has prevented any of my passwords from being hacked and I have used the software for over 10 years now.
But I have a lot of passwords, more than 300 so this is beneficial to me.
For most people this isn't necessary.
Although there is a free version which allows up to 10 logins.
http://www.roboform.com/
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:13   #22
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

^^^ Thanks for clarifying Salting.

I've edited my original post as I've now noted that they do indeed mention that the hashed passwords were "Salted".

I don't use names, or D.O.B in my passwords, and I believe they are fairly strong. However, I'm taking heed of their advice.

"Even though the passwords stolen in February were hashed, we recommend that if you were using (or are currently using) your VerticalScope community password across multiple online accounts, that you change your password for such other online accounts."
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:21   #23
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
^^^ Thanks for clarifying Salting.

I've edited my original post as I've now noted that they do indeed mention that the hashed passwords were "Salted".

I don't use names, or D.O.B in my passwords, and I believe they are fairly strong. However, I'm taking heed of their advice.

"Even though the passwords stolen in February were hashed, we recommend that if you were using (or are currently using) your VerticalScope community password across multiple online accounts, that you change your password for such other online accounts."
It does pay to change your passwords every 6 months or so especially if they are for sites that you regularly use.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote