Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2012, 20:35   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

The problem isn't the cruise, it's the throttle assy that freezes due to the water vapour in the venting gasses from the rocker meeting the cold metal of the throttle assy Disengaging the cruise is the same as taking your foot off the accelerator.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 20:47   #12
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
They only suffer it there is a problem with the way the engine breathes, this is now well documented on how to ensure the breather system is in good condition.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=104108
I'll go along with this theory also.

Have been suffering with this problem for the past 2 years and not known how to cure it until now.

ALL V6 OWNERS should take note of this thread and act before somebody is seriously injured, or god forbid, worse.

Regards,

Dave.
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 22:21   #13
Camulus
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 2.5 190

Had this happen to me this morning! The current Mrs Camulus's Focus had a problem so I kindly offered to drive her to work (for that read "get out of bed you lazy *** and take me to work") and it was -12 and freezing fog. I'd only gone about 7 or 8 miles and was going down a long hill I noticed I wasn't slowing even though my foot wasn't on the loud pedal. Having read of this on the forum before I deduced a 'stuck' throttle (even though I'd previously cleaned and WD40'd it). I stopped and gave it 5 mins and everything was fine. Happened a couple of times more on the trip - seemed to be most noticeable if the throttle had been held in the same place for a while.
Anyway, got back and thoroughly cleaned the mechanism on the throttle body with carb cleaner and sprayed it all with 'motorcycle chain lubricant' (heavy duty waxy/greasy type of substance) and upon returning my beloved to the bosom of her family this evening had no problems even though the conditions were pretty much the same.

Would be interested to know a definitive cause though.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:48   #14
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
The problem isn't the cruise, it's the throttle assy that freezes due to the water vapour in the venting gasses from the rocker meeting the cold metal of the throttle assy Disengaging the cruise is the same as taking your foot off the accelerator.
I'd agree, the problem is maybe more likely if cruise is set in freezing temps as then the cable is not moving and the water vapour has time to freeze up?
Old 12th February 2012, 13:20   #15
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
I'm sorry, but that is really hard work trying to read AND understand that. I've tried twice.
Made sense to me
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 13:59   #16
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that is really hard work trying to read AND understand that. I've tried twice.
B&W - whilst I have sympathy with your "good English campaign" there is nothing in the original post that I can't understand and as a V6 owner who uses cruise more often than not, I'm very grateful to the OP for the warning.
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 16:31   #17
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
I always say, "If you can't say something nice or helpfull, don't say it"
When writing a long, informative, helpfull post, not everyone has the time to dot every i and cross every T. Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 16:44   #18
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Glad those that have suffered from this have had no ongoing problems...
This is a very serious safety issue maybe the info in this should be made a sticky...
Cheers Ian
Old 12th February 2012, 17:33   #19
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Quote:
Thanks for your extremely helpful contribution. I'm not some thick chav who cannot spell, I wrote it in a hurry before I went out,and copied it onto here as I thought it would get lost in the Tech forum.
Further, in your first sentence above, if you replaced the fourth word of "that" with "it" you'll find your sentence will then be grammatically correct.
Just thought I'd point that out to you, as I read it twice and couldn't understand it.
Old 12th February 2012, 17:52   #20
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc View Post
thanks for your extremely helpful contribution. I'm not some thick chav who cannot spell, i wrote it in a hurry before i went out,and copied it onto here as i thought it would get lost in the tech forum.
Further, in your first sentence above, if you replaced the fourth word of "that" with "it" you'll find your sentence will then be grammatically correct.
Just thought i'd point that out to you, as i read it twice and couldn't understand it.

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!

Last edited by Dave Goody; 12th February 2012 at 17:55..
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote