Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2019, 05:38   #11
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Very sorry to hear this awful news.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 06:33   #12
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

It’s never nice to experience a theft like this.
My missus phoned me in a panic one day after her purse was stolen from her office at work.
Within minutes I had cancelled all her bank cards although M & S were a bit awkward saying the card holder had to contact them to do this. I explained the card holder was in the middle of doing clinic appointments so any transactions after this point would not be paid for. They eventually got the message.

CCTV footage found a patient ( known to the Police ) had sneaked into her office.
He later got two slaps on the wrist for the theft.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:06   #13
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
I am very sorry to hear such thing happened. In regard to phone, with IMEI blocked from side of providers, phone will be unusable in sense of making calls, but access to the phone itself is in hands of phone owners. With password protection you might prevent access to data in the phone for opportunist thief, but professional will open it. Regarding memory card, once out of the phone it can be accessed without problems, unless card itself is encrypted.
Thank you for that info Roverlike it is much appreciated.

Having had more time to think about it and to look at how it unfolded I tend to think that it could be an easy catch for the police if we can get them to act on it. There is the likely possibility of 2 cctv captures, 1 from the Tesco store and 1 from the store where the cash was withdrawn. My sister initially thought that the cash was withdrawn via a hole in the wall but a further call from her husband to the bank confirmed it to be from a machine inside a convenience store in St Lukes Terrace at Pallion in Sunderland - H Jones & Son I think is the name of the shop. The bank also gave a very specific time for the withdrawal which working back from puts the time of the theft in Tesco at ~ 19:10 plus 5 or minus 10 minutes. So the police will not have to trawl through hours of footage, the cctv timing is so specific that I expect that the 2 stores in question would have no bother finding any possible cctv evidence for them. And my money is firmly on it not being an opportunistic theft by someone not known to the police. They went to Tesco with the specific intention of doing what they did and I rather suspect that it is something that they have done before.

I say that and "they" because unbeknown to me my radar has been sweeping in the background and a number of things have begun to flag up.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:08   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

really bad news, I can imagine her being a bit shaken.

how did they mange to withdraw money? I'm thinking about a pin number.

As a precaution if house keys were in her handbag I'd change the door locks.

Car keys may be more of an issue, perhaps a crook lock?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:35   #15
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Sadly, the behaviour of the parasitic morons in this world give you something to compare against and put you all further up the ladder.

It's very difficult to remember what is laying in the depths of a handbag and similar, but try going through the routines that your sister follows to remind her.

As to locks, it may be possible to swap locks with yourselves or others to reduce the expense of replacing.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:57   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Sorry to hear about the theft, these thieving deadbeats really do make decent peoples lives a misery.
Sadly there seems to be no end to them wherever you look these days.
I hope PC Plod can pull his finger out and identify the scumbag from CCTV footage.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 09:56   #17
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
My sister had her bag stolen tonight at our local Tesco at Roker in Sunderland. Her bank card, mobile phone and cash for her grand kids birthday gifts were among the things that were lost. Police employees will apparently ring her at home tomorrow night to discuss it and my request to the store manageress to quarantine and look at any relevant cctv footage was met with ye old data protection act fob-off etc., etc., etc..

Shortly after the theft and before we could get home to stop anything the stolen bank card was used to withdraw £250 from a hole in the wall at Jones convenience store apparently where ever that is in Sunderland - her bank gave this info when contacted to put a stop on the card. So well done Barclays for not trying to use the dpa as a none-excuse to do ... well, err, nothing as per Tesco at Roker in Sunderland.

The total cash value of the theft inclusive of all items lost is I would guess in excess of £600. The personal private memories and info stored on the phone will be a big loss but the biggest I sense from the moment will be the loss of trust and confidence she now feels about going out shopping ever again together with one of invasion of privacy.

The card and the phone sim have now hopefully been blocked but have we missed anything else that others who might have been through this can advise of?
I am very sorry to hear of this misfortune, I hope your sister is well, however, how was money withdrawn from ATM did the thieves have access to the card's PIN it is very worrying.
Best regards, hope the police catch the scam.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:35   #18
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Thanks for your thoughts and commiserations guys. I must have missed Jim's post when I posted earlier as I would have thanked him sooner, anyhow now corrected. My thanks quota is used up for now but I will get back with it later. As for how the money was withdrawn well it remains to be determined by the police should they choose to act on this. However one of the possibilities that came to mind has helped to point me in the direction of a name that might be of interest to the police so I better not expand on it for now. Could be totally innocent of course but the coincidences are starting to stack up against it.
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:43   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
I am very sorry to hear of this misfortune, I hope your sister is well, however, how was money withdrawn from ATM did the thieves have access to the card's PIN it is very worrying.
Best regards, hope the police catch the scam.

I was about to ask the same question?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 13:13   #20
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I've been looking at the security of my own phone since this happened and as a first step I've activated its fingerprint lock function. I was aware of it sometime ago but after reading some less then enthusiastic reviews about the reliability of the technology I decided to put it on the back burner. My main concern at the time was that it could be more troublesome than it might be worth for a genuine owner if, as some of the reviews confirmed could happen, it started to play up and intermittently block legitimate use of the phone.

I gather that a phone locked with a pin number is not much of a deterrent to theft as there are plenty of phone shops and the like offering unlocking services. But what about a phone locked with fingerprint technology, is it just as easily unlocked as one protected with a pin number?

As for the stolen phone someone has suggested that it might have been quickly binned if the culprits know what they are doing to avoid it being used as a tracker to trace them. Maybe or maybe not as having seen programs like "Don't Get Done, Get Dom" tracking software has often been deployed to very effect use. Anyhow, the total value of this theft has been revised to take into account other items that have since come to light like glasses (my sister and our mother never scrimped on things like them) and they alone have raised the total by just over another £200 to £800 plus.