Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th May 2018, 06:47   #11
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

I've used Deb swarfega wash n wax for the last 20 years , it cleans well , keeps it's foam in the bucket and I people always ask me how often I wax my car
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:09   #12
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I use ecover eco friendly washing up liquid with rainwater and rinse with rainwater.

Works for me.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 05:11   #13
Artermis
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
This might be a bit off topic, constant polishing and especially with machine polishing removes the UV protection from the top lacquer coat. Some enthusiastic owners will for sure be doing more harm than good to their cars paint work
Actually very very true.

I've got a filing cabinet devoted to car cleaning stuff and have a drawer full of all kinds of flavours of polishes and compounds but I only ever routinely polish my car once a year - usually around this time of year as the weather starts to come good.

Done properly, a proper decontamination and polish topped with a good wax coat will be just fine and last a long time. Just keep it waxed probably once a month during summer, maybe a little more often in winter if weather allows and the wax will fend off any contaminants and dirt. Hard waxes will last longer, liquid waxes not so much.

As for the OP, if you're only interested in washing and dont do all the applying creams and waxing stuff that I do then one of the off the shelf wash waxes like meguiars gold (big tub of yellow goo) will do you the job with a trusty bucket and sponge.

Wash waxes by definition are somewhat compromised and I dislike them but if it's what you wanna do it'll do OK.

If you want to go a bit further something like poor boys super slick and suds followed by one of their tubs of hard wax will do a great job. It's a very easy to work with wax, doesnt need a lot of elbow grease and buffs up well, so is a good next step.

BD02 FFE - MG ZT+ 190 in Monogram Gulfstream, No 2 of 5 190 saloons made and ex-press garage vehicle.
Artermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 05:15   #14
Artermis
Regular poster

MG ZT

For those out there looking to try new things or experiment, expand your collection or whatever, what about a sample pack...

I've had a few from the wax pack and you get a decent variety of things in them, although theyre a surprise each month. You pretty much always get a sponge applicator and a great quality microfibre plus a selection of four or five bottles / tubs of things to try.

You never get four of five of the same thing either, so it's not like you're going to get five different waxes or shampoos in the box. You might get an interior trim paste, wax pot, carpet cleaner and shampoo all in one box. They're a bit of fun for £20 and I enjoy them just for the good quality microfibres.

Link here to Wax Pack:

https://waxpack.co.uk/store/

edit: just for disclaimer, they're nothing to do with me at all

BD02 FFE - MG ZT+ 190 in Monogram Gulfstream, No 2 of 5 190 saloons made and ex-press garage vehicle.
Artermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 13:27   #15
Evil_C

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
Can anybody recommend a good car shampoo for sponge washing?
This won't go down well with many purists but Spray n Shine waterless car wash and wax is what I use. It's great stuff, removes **** as good as the bucket and water method, does not cause swirls as long as you are careful with your microfiber cloths and cuts cleaning time down drastically.
Evil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 17:40   #16
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_C View Post
This won't go down well with many purists but Spray n Shine waterless car wash and wax is what I use. It's great stuff, removes **** as good as the bucket and water method, does not cause swirls as long as you are careful with your microfiber cloths and cuts cleaning time down drastically.
I suppose it depends how dirty your car is.

Living in the sticks the car often gets covered in mud, sandy dust and cow and sheep s***
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 14:23   #17
Evil_C

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
I suppose it depends how dirty your car is.

Living in the sticks the car often gets covered in mud, sandy dust and cow and sheep s***
Yup, same here, rural Cumbria now, North Yorkshire before that, cow and sheep s**t abounds, mud? No problems, like I said, as long as you use decent microfiber clothes and change them frequently.

Last time I used a car wash I was left with a huge scratch down the side, washing by hand and then polishing takes ages, if you have metered water you've that added expense. Nothing has persuaded me to change for years....... car cleaning method not clothes
Evil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 14:47   #18
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
This might be a bit off topic, constant polishing and especially with machine polishing removes the UV protection from the top lacquer coat. Some enthusiastic owners will for sure be doing more harm than good to their cars paint work
That is why a quality shampoo with wax in the formula is what is needed, do not use a sponge but use a lamb's wool mit, dry with cotton microfibre cloth apply wax polish with another micro and a good to go, polish very rarely needed.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 18:15   #19
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

No more car washing or polishing for me now. A Robin has made its nest in the carrier bag I keep all my stuff in. No way would I wish to disturb it.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 15:28   #20
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Just had a 5 litre bottle of Autosmart Duo given me
Fabulous stuff, car looks great after washing and it beads lovely between washes. Highly recommended

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote