Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st February 2019, 11:52   #144431
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
I see there are still a few arguments going on and some peeps are throwing their rattles out of the pram.

The forum has gone to pot(I will not say club because its not),I tried to return slowly with a few posts here and there,most seem to fall on deaf ears and no resonses from hardly anyone.

Derek and Freddie would have not been amused watching the sad decline of this forum,but that's the way its going,the Rover cars are dwindling and so are the members and experienced traders,so the prognosis do not look good.

Just look around and see who do not own a Rover or MG but are still hanging in ,thats was because of the friendship built up making them stay,but they will slowly be off to pastures new.

Sadly this will be my last posting in a forum which I once described as the best.
Georgie and I will be signing out for good.

Thanks to my friends (you know who you are)

I feel for you in seeing changes to the Club but unfortunately this is the downside of modern social media and web forums. Some people think they can post anything and a number do so to spark reactions. This forum is not alone and I belong to different ones and am an admin on a certain football one. As an admin you know who is likely to troll and have to keep a close eye on them but the long and short of it is, they spoil it for everyone else. Even if you ban them they usually find a way to rejoin under a different user name. They do this in the name of banter but it is more than that.

When I first started with car clubs there were no online forums and each month you would await contact via their magazine and perhaps phone someone for info etc. I got onto one or two committees when I wanted to get involved more.

When online forums came in you get a large number of visitors purely using the site for info when their car has a problem and never put anything else back and indeed I have done this with other cars I have owned .......that is the nature of the beast with modern technology..........and then you get the pain of trolling. Unless you are an admin, it is best to ignore it as in my experience they soon get bored and move on to something else. Unfortunately some people rise to the bait and it all kicks off. In my experience there are also a number who like to look in from the outside and enjoy seeing how far this bickering goes!!

With regard to the dwindling numbers, this is always going to happen as many people buy them on a shoestring and when some major expense is required they scrap them as in their eyes the money needed to rectify a problem is not warranted. It comes down to why you buy the car in the first place. I have been involved with Classic cars for a long time and you do so because you love the marque and will spend what it takes to get it as good as you can afford and enjoy. If you are always thinking of getting back the money spent and make a profit then classic car ownership is not for you unless you are in to the top end of marques. I include future classics like the Rover 75 in these thoughts which is the reason I bought another one last year. I have already spent much more than the car is worth if I was to sell now but that is the point........I am enjoying it and it is not an out and out investment.There are very few Scimitars left and they only ever made 79 Middlebridges but we have a very good club both on and off line. ........and now there are no trolls left on the boards.

This club, as they all do, will evolve and not always for the best and as old members leave it new ones join and sometimes want to take the club in different directions. As time goes by there will be less and less cars but those that are still in use will be owned by true enthusiasts and usually forums benefit.

I know there are a number on here who don't own the marque anymore or who like yourself are disillusioned and will make the decision to leave. Sad if you and they do and as someone suggested it would be good if you just posted in the social / chillout aspect and ignore the children in other sections of the forum.

Best wishes and good luck if you do leave.

PS: sorry for posting in the chillout zone but as that was where the op was I thought it best here.........................now back to the informal, lighthearted stuff. ............................

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 1st February 2019 at 13:37..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 12:01   #144432
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
I didn't know you guys were dog lovers, always assumed you were too busy to be cleaning dog hairs out of the cars!

We got a 5 year old boxer, best dog in the world, and a 9 month old border terrier who is a little NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and a bully, but he does look cute!!

I've been trying to upload a picture of my two sweeties, but it doesn't work.

I think I need to find a way to crop them to make them small enough to upload.

I will persevere!
Welcome to the lounge, put your feet up and let’s talk animals, our four legged friends, cats n dogs

Here is a photo, I took last year of the geese coming to chase the dogs, my wife and have a nibble at the dogs food...

Today, round the back of the house, Musafa - A Great St. Bernard came to say hello!

Later on, Gin on the left of the photo was grooming Spot the Lab

Out of shot is Pimms, a Collie. She had gone into the woods hunting and laying in the sun is Anchy -a Mongrel rescued from an abusive and neglectful owner.

Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 12:05   #144433
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

As it is so lovely outside today I have knocked up a nice summer ploughman's for lunch

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_02_01_11:36:11 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Old 1st February 2019, 12:12   #144434
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
As it is so lovely outside today I have knocked up a nice summer ploughman's for lunch

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_02_01_11:36:11 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Great stuff Jeff and sticking to your diet. I am impressed
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 12:32   #144435
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Great stuff Jeff and sticking to your diet. I am impressed
Best I don't mention the Big Mac from yesterday then
Old 1st February 2019, 14:07   #144436
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
I have knocked up a nice ploughman
That's a very bold admission to make!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 14:16   #144437
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Best I don't mention the Big Mac from yesterday then

With or without bacon???
Old 1st February 2019, 14:17   #144438
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
That's a very bold admission to make!
Err........no comment
Old 1st February 2019, 14:18   #144439
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
With or without bacon???
The ‘Grand’ one.........with bacon
Old 1st February 2019, 14:19   #144440
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Need a bit of English Mustard with that pork pie but otherwise a very tempting plate of food. My wife's all time favourite meal.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote