Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2019, 10:18   #1
bearhouse
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Traction Control Fault / Fail

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can kindly help. I have a Rover 75, 2.5 V6 2001. On starting the Traction Control fail symbol comes up in the message display. Occasionally it clears so I assume works but lately is always on.

Might it be a faulty traction control unit mounted in the passenger footwell near the fuse box?

Any other advice or suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

Terry.
bearhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 10:36   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Most common fault on TC system is the breaking up of the gears on the unit mounted on the bulkhead ( high up drivers side). There is a small inspection flap on the unit to enable you to look at the gears.
If you do discover the fault is the broken gearing then before you pay an arm and a leg for one, it is identical to the early BMW CRUISE control unit on the E39 such as this ( you just have to swap the cable)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...TL6c:rk:6:pf:0

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 12:19   #3
bearhouse
Regular poster

Rover 75

Many thanks for the info Dave.

I'll check the gear now. I note the part you sent on eBay is a cruise control unit not traction control.

My cruise control does work ok so might it still be that?
Old 24th February 2019, 13:00   #4
bearhouse
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hi Dave,

I have looked at the white gear and there is definitely one tooth knackered. However, the motor doesn't turn once the ignition us turned to position 1.

I have removed the motor plug and there is 10.5 volts on the plug with ignition turned to position 1. That doesn't seem right as I would have thought should be 12V. I'm assuming not a fuse but possibly a relay contact. Do you know which relay to check?

Regards,

Terry.
Old 24th February 2019, 13:04   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

You will probably find the teeth are lodged in the gearing stopping it from self testing. you can prise the top off and open with a thin blade.
JUST FOR CLARITY. The BMW CRUISE unit linked to is identical to our TRACTION control unit
Dave...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:46   #6
bearhouse
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hi,

I've just fitted the replacement BMW cruise control motor. However, the Traction Control Fail symbol is still present.

Any suggestions as to what else could cause the Traction Control to fail / be off?

Regards,

Terry.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:06   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi Terry,
You will probably be best off getting the car on a T4 diagnostics now. Every previous failure of traction I have come across as been the actuator you have just changed . If this has not cured the problem then the T4 diagnostics is the way to go.

Old 22nd March 2019, 12:29   #8
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,is it just the panel light or do you also get the shuddering sensation when braking through the brake pedal.I had that problem and it was the rear offside sensor.But after I replaced it it would not clear untill I took it for a drive of several miles,it seemed it needed that drive to reset itself.Also have you checked all your fuses.Regards The.....
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 14:35   #9
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhouse View Post
Hi,
I've just fitted the replacement BMW cruise control motor. However, the Traction Control Fail symbol is still present.
Any suggestions as to what else could cause the Traction Control to fail / be off?
Regards,
Terry.

Hi Terry
I had the same problem and used the BMW cruise control motor, like you. It was fiddly getting the cable/nipple inserted into the cog ... has yours seated properly?

I didn't need T4 ... it just started working and the warning Message stopped.

Try opening the flap to expose the cog/teeth on the motor, Can you now move the cog?

Or get someone to turn your ignition on while you are under the bonnet listening. I think mine does a "self test" each time the ignition is turned on, so you might see or hear some activity.

Good luck

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2022, 16:25   #10
Matt G
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+ (Development car), mg zt 190SE (Twilight), MG ZS 180

Hi Tony.

I just wondered if you ever got to the bottom of your traction control problem, no thus wonder if you may be able to help?

I have picked up exactly the same the issue on my ZT, I am reading 10.6v at the connector, both fuses are good, the traction control actuator cog behind the flap is in good condition, although it does not move on start up, so still cannot ruled out it being jammed.

So hoping you may have solved your issue and may have so,e more pointers to look into.

Regards

Matt
Matt G is offline   Reply With Quote