Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th May 2019, 11:10   #1
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Default Anyone's 1st on here

Why failing to indicate could see you fined thousands and lose your licence – even if there are no other cars

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/FUhYD

Sent via @updayUK
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 11:20   #2
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

BMW drivers....a soft target if this was ever enforced.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 11:25   #3
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Very interesting.
One of my old workmates left us to become a driving instructor. I had noticed drivers not indicating had started to become more frequent so I asked him why this was happening. He said that they now teach drivers not to indicate if there's no reason to. ie, no other traffic.
I said I thought this was wrong because it gets new drivers into the habit of NOT indicating, instead of the habit OF indicating. He wasn't impressed.
I just wonder if these instructors will now be sued by drivers who have been fined for not indicating?

It's a long time since I last read the highway code, but I remember my instructor telling me not to indicate when pulling out of a parking spot, instead wait till there's no more cars coming and pull out and join the flow.
Now, I can kinda see some reason for this, as several times I have slowed down to let a car pull out from the kerbside, only to discover there's no driver in it and it's the hazards that are flashing
You don't notice that until you're almost at it's rear end.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 12:03   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Pah, typical V6 owner saving money on indicator bulbs, so they can spend it on thermostat housings

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 13:09   #5
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

It's a while since I was involved in Advanced training but the first thing we'd discuss is Information - receiving it through vision/hearing and giving it through indicators/brake lights etc. (The rest was Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration "IPSGA").

So, if there's no one around to "give" the information to then using say, an indication when there's no one there was classed as a failure to receive (and process) information correctly. i.e acting by rote rather than by the situation. This point was agreed by a Police Examiner and would lose a candidate marks on their assessment.

Conversely failing to indicate when the was someone around to see it was similarly a failure to receive (and process) information and would lose a candidate marks on their assessment.

Serious concentration and skill these Police drivers/riders .

Andy

Last edited by AndyN01; 7th May 2019 at 13:11..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 13:16   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Very interesting.
One of my old workmates left us to become a driving instructor. I had noticed drivers not indicating had started to become more frequent so I asked him why this was happening. He said that they now teach drivers not to indicate if there's no reason to. ie, no other traffic.
I said I thought this was wrong because it gets new drivers into the habit of NOT indicating, instead of the habit OF indicating. He wasn't impressed.
I just wonder if these instructors will now be sued by drivers who have been fined for not indicating?

It's a long time since I last read the highway code, but I remember my instructor telling me not to indicate when pulling out of a parking spot, instead wait till there's no more cars coming and pull out and join the flow.
Now, I can kinda see some reason for this, as several times I have slowed down to let a car pull out from the kerbside, only to discover there's no driver in it and it's the hazards that are flashing
You don't notice that until you're almost at it's rear end.
this post is quite funny.

driving instructor says "He said that they now teach drivers not to indicate if there's no reason to. ie, no other traffic"

I remember my instructor telling me not to indicate when pulling out of a parking spot, instead wait till there's no more cars coming and pull out and join the flow

err what's the point of an instructor advising to wait until there are no cars about and then indicating, there's no cars to see the indicator

I too was told not to indicate if there is no one to see it but, what about the person I did not see that's there to see it?
It will also take me longer to study what I can see nio only out of the window but in my mirrors to make sure there is no one to see it.

I'm a "indicate every time then it becomes habit and you don't forget" person.

I hope those that don't indicate do get fines, it's driving without due consideration to other road users.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 13:26   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
It's a while since I was involved in Advanced training but the first thing we'd discuss is Information - receiving it through vision/hearing and giving it through indicators/brake lights etc. (The rest was Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration "IPSGA").

So, if there's no one around to "give" the information to then using say, an indication when there's no one there was classed as a failure to receive (and process) information correctly. i.e acting by rote rather than by the situation. This point was agreed by a Police Examiner and would lose a candidate marks on their assessment.

Conversely failing to indicate when the was someone around to see it was similarly a failure to receive (and process) information and would lose a candidate marks on their assessment.

Serious concentration and skill these Police drivers/riders .

Andy
Andy, "you" assume there is no one to receive because "you" have not seen the person. It will take longer to study the area to make sure there is no one around. How far away does someone have to be to be classed as not around?

Advanced drivers are taught to read the road ahead. There is a car on the left side of the road, facing same direction as your travel some distance ahead with no lights on, you cant see any movement, you cant see any exhaust "smoke". You make a judgement.

Consider the judgement.

Now consider the judgement if you can see their right indicator flashing.

Is it exactly the same judgement?

I'm sure there will be two opinions on the subject, those in favour of always indicating which I am one and those that believe no point if no one around.

we will agree to differ, with me of course being right

macafee2
Old 7th May 2019, 14:58   #8
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

err what's the point of an instructor advising to wait until there are no cars about and then indicating, there's no cars to see the indicator

macafee2
Sorry I don't think I explained it properly.
You pull up at the kerb and nip into the shops. You come out and get back into your car. You wait for the traffic to go past then pull out to join it. No indicating.
That was in 1972, I'm sure things will have changed by now.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 15:44   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

One could argue that anyone being fined for not signalling is actually being fined for not signalling when there is other traffic around i.e. the police man, motorcycle or car as a minimum.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 15:44   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Sorry I don't think I explained it properly.
You pull up at the kerb and nip into the shops. You come out and get back into your car. You wait for the traffic to go past then pull out to join it. No indicating.
That was in 1972, I'm sure things will have changed by now.
ok sorry I thought "you" indicated. why sit there waiting and waiting for traffic to pull past? Indicate to pull out and no doubt someone will let "you" out. Indicating only "states your intention"

macafee2