Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2019, 22:02   #9731
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Done a ton of paint corrections, painted the passengers side skirt and half the bootlid.
Still to T-Cut it all once I've finished with the 3G, then a coat of wax

I hope it'll be worth the effort
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:07   #9732
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Looked at it........very dirty indeed...ugh!, so I took the dog for a walk, sitting down now with a cup of coffee, listening to Hazel O'Connor and now contemplating cutting the grass before heading out on an indeterminate run to test the one made from two ECM set I coded to the car yesterday.

I loved the way whoever has been playing with this "set" had included a completely U/S Freelander ECM that had been butchered and bodged so much, that I decided it would be suitable as a donor for parts, rather than a viable repair, so I's donated some of it's vital organs, and I now have a starting and running set.

Hopefully this will make the owner of the car It originated from happy, and the fault finding the work of the previous "expert" attempts at a fix a bit easier knowing the brains of the car haven't been given a lobotomy.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:30   #9733
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

I don't think I will have a very eventful day, I look at at stuff and don't know where the hell to start and with 3 cars...

I've a Golf Mk4 est with no mot and was driving it while like that for a month then something made me check it, c r a p it's out, so that's in her drive. I have an MGF with blown h/g but drives as if nothing's wrong . Then there's the 75 with a duff crank pulley, and here was me thinking the other day when out and the burning smell from inside the boot (estate) .That was bad yes it was but now it's gone and got this bludy pulley to deal with now and the guy I use is away for 2 weeks and cant find anywhere only how to do it

So there you are..
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 17:10   #9734
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Changed the oil and filter on my new to me ZT yesterday. I had the fun of removing an undertray for the first time. Note to self: Get the car higher before doing that next time!
Also installed a K&N panel filter and discovered that the fresh air intake hose has had it. Is there a better alternative available?
Today's jobs include changing the pollen filter and wiring in the dash cam from my Freelander which will be going to it's new home in a couple of weeks.
Old 23rd June 2019, 17:18   #9735
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Changed the oil and filter on my new to me ZT yesterday. I had the fun of removing an undertray for the first time. Note to self: Get the car higher before doing that next time!
Also installed a K&N panel filter and discovered that the fresh air intake hose has had it. Is there a better alternative available?
Today's jobs include changing the pollen filter and wiring in the dash cam from my Freelander which will be going to it's new home in a couple of weeks.
This is a V6 shannon tube, you can replace the tube part with any ducting that fits. Can't remember the diameter offhand, I'm sure someone will know

The 190 has a larger dia. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...57&postcount=1

Last edited by suzublu; 23rd June 2019 at 17:22..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 18:25   #9736
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
the fresh air intake hose has had it. Is there a better alternative available?
Shannon tube???
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=68958
Old 23rd June 2019, 23:54   #9737
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyuk1 View Post
early start this morning. had a diagnostic lead left over from my bmw z3 days.
installed it on the laptop and installed drivers and toaf.
connected 1st time and backed up bcu etc.
turned off the annoying automatic heated rear window feature thats bugged me for 2 years.
had a quick look around toaf and will have a play later....
I was toying with the idea of using TOAF, but got put off by the need to do a bit of soldering on the usual cheap diagnostic plugs...so I looked for a BMW one to see if that would be viable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-S....c100005.m1851

Does anyone know if these BMW plugs are ok to use instead of soldering 'normal' ones? Of course, I will need to buy a cheap laptop as well

Either that, or I have to invest in a soldering iron, which would probably work out cheaper but more hassle...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 00:44   #9738
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
I was toying with the idea of using TOAF, but got put off by the need to do a bit of soldering on the usual cheap diagnostic plugs...so I looked for a BMW one to see if that would be viable:

Does anyone know if these BMW plugs are ok to use instead of soldering 'normal' ones? Of course, I will need to buy a cheap laptop as well

Either that, or I have to invest in a soldering iron, which would probably work out cheaper but more hassle...
Would it really be less hassle buying the cheap (and it is cheap at £12) diagnostic connector box you have linked to, that has goodness knows what inside it, from a seller who also sells kids fancy dress and vape machines - which looks like a chinese warehouse to me? (that I believe you might still need to solder) It also has round pins which are known to damage the OBD port.

If you get one of the cheaper cables that has been recommended for use with TOAF, the two pins, only need a 'dollop' of solder onto them. (I am useless at soldering, and was trying to solder a little wire to the pins. Used too much solder and it fell neatly and very nicely between the pins lol - it has worked on the four or five times I have used it). It really is easy to do.

Looking at the pins, if you didnt want to solder, I think the jumpers that used to be used on old hard drives would work just as well (or even a spade crimp terminal)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 03:03   #9739
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Thanks for the leads on the Shannon tube all!
Thankfully mine was in fair condition
I'll be ordering one along with Jules' plenum guards.

Got the new pollen filter in today. What an awkward thing to fit in place!
Glad I changed it though. The old one looked like it had never been changed. It also gave me a chance to clean out the plenum drains. I used a florist's bottle bristle brush with a felt end. I bought a set of them years ago and they are fantastic for that sort of job.
Also got my dash cam wired in. No issues there and the cable was easy to route behind the trim to the fuse box. (There's another thing they didn't make easy to get at! )

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 24th June 2019 at 03:06..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 10:15   #9740
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post

Hi this is the cable I bought a few years ago. It's the blue one. I got it originally for my BMW Z3 to have a play with inpa. Worked 1st time. Took it to bits and pins 7&8 are joined together..
https://www.bcables.com/#xl_Xxr_v2_anchor_start2
Billyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote