Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2019, 21:18   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
To be honest - a car Forum is probably not a significant place to right the wrongs of the world - let alone the best options for our leaving the EU.

That said - the one point I would say is that those that constantly whine and whinge about things not going their way - are the same people that constantly call for a thread to be closed because in their myopic view it has become “political” - which those of us with an ounce of common sense and knowledge of the real world see as a Sensible Discussion - and they see as heresy.
Why not, because of this place I have made many friends, some I would class as lifelong friends, what better place to discuss things and have banter with mates and likeminded folk. We may not all agree on religion, politics, sex, or whatever, but we should have an area where we can banter about it all.
Old 24th May 2019, 21:31   #12
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Why not, because of this place I have made many friends, some I would class as lifelong friends, what better place to discuss things and have banter with mates and likeminded folk. We may not all agree on religion, politics, sex, or whatever, but we should have an area where we can banter about it all.
How about a subscribers only forum, called let's say, The Bar room, where adult & other discussions can be had, age confirmation, & self moderated, no foul language etc
I know we have a discussion forum, but nobody goes there
Old 24th May 2019, 21:32   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
I still think we should have an area where we can discuss anything, password for entry, passwords only given with age verification, it would save the mods so much time trying to moderate the rest of the forum.
what if we have a vote, sorry poll on it, with people campaigning for and against, each putting forward their ideas, as to why one is better than the other? Perhaps have the poll over a week, so all have a chance to vote, ooops add their name to it, on it and only one vote, damn my head, poll entry per ID

oh wait ................

Seriously though, I do think there could be a place for it. That way, if you didnt like it, or like the idea of it, you could see which forum it belonged to, and move on by not clicking into it.

Of course there will be errors on the way, where people place their comments on political topics into the wrong section, leading it to be moved. Once moved though the offender could of course be shot, like any other dictatorship (which the forum is, and I have stated before, that is not a bad thing!). Again I am jesting about the shooting, a gentle knee capping (that is shot in the knees with an air rifle ) would do.

It can be very difficult in the current social climate not to get involved in politics at some point, and as this forum is generally a very social place, with topics outside of cars regularly discussed, I do not see an issue. If people become abusive and offensive, they can be banned, but in my mind, that person would then have exposed themselves to be the anti social one, and not deserving of the social aspect of the forum.

That is just my opinion, and it is the correct one, but I know and appreciate that it may not be your correct one. But hey, I wont hold it against you for being wrong

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 25th May 2019, 00:06   #14
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
If there really a rule forum rule about sex? I thought it was just my household that had a rule banning it

macafee2

What about religion? Can we talk about that?

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
Old 25th May 2019, 04:16   #15
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Free speech, ever heard of it?
Just because we are into Rovers does not mean that we are all lobotomized, -- yet!
Old 25th May 2019, 05:30   #16
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Exactly - I think we should be able to - we should be able to agree to disagree and move on - but calls to close a thread for simply mentioning a topic is an unwanted form of censorship.

And this Forum really is great! The money I have saves and the advice I have gained from membership is monumental. But as good as it is the membership is limited in numbers and so I don’t believe anyone thinks that as a platform it is significantly influential across the U.K. and elsewhere regarding anything outside of our cars.

So IMO - as as I have said before - chatting on here is like having a chat down the pub with your mates.

And mates don’t try to censor sensible discussion.

But rules are rules and there are pubs/establishments where certain subjects are banned. And if the Mods make that rule then it should be respected.

I respect the “relaxation” of this at those times - such as now - where events outside of our mutual interest in our cars evolve.
Old 25th May 2019, 05:56   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Exactly - I think we should be able to - we should be able to agree to disagree and move on - but calls to close a thread for simply mentioning a topic is an unwanted form of censorship.

And this Forum really is great! The money I have saves and the advice I have gained from membership is monumental. But as good as it is the membership is limited in numbers and so I don’t believe anyone thinks that as a platform it is significantly influential across the U.K. and elsewhere regarding anything outside of our cars.

So IMO - as as I have said before - chatting on here is like having a chat down the pub with your mates.

And mates don’t try to censor sensible discussion.

But rules are rules and there are pubs/establishments where certain subjects are banned. And if the Mods make that rule then it should be respected.

I respect the “relaxation” of this at those times - such as now - where events outside of our mutual interest in our cars evolve.
I agree, the elite is trying to impose self censorship, where people are too embarrassed or insecure to talk about anything.
It is totally absurd to treat grown people like some try and treat children.
Supposed to be seen but not heard.
Grow up.

Last edited by kaiser; 25th May 2019 at 06:06..
Old 25th May 2019, 06:45   #18
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I agree, the elite is trying to impose self censorship, where people are too embarrassed or insecure to talk about anything.
It is totally absurd to treat grown people like some try and treat children.
Supposed to be seen but not heard.
Grow up.
Thank you - my point is that within reason we should be able to chat and agree to disagree on topics. The disreputable tactic of trying to get a thread closed and deleted by deliberately flouting the Topic Rules is one that seems to be recognised now.

My point has always been “Why do this?” - the total audience on a car forum has got to be small - no disrespect but bordering on the insignificant in the larger scheme of things.

We really should be able to agree to disagree
Old 25th May 2019, 12:52   #19
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

When all is said and done rules are rules. When there are good reasons for particular ones they are justified. They, understandably, are also justified when the rulemaker decides they are. However, they need not be permanent. Providing a change could be justified by increased demand or having a beneficial result then all that is needed is a change of heart.

For instance, following a particularly regrettable lapse in manners by one or two members some three years ago, Rule 15 was amended.

It used to say: ‘You may not use these forums to promote political beliefs or to encourage or persuade others to conform to your views. Criticism or review of government activities is however permitted, but only if done in a non-abusive polite manner’.

Following the lapse in decorum, the last sentence was deleted without comment. In my admittedly biased view the inclusion of that last sentence was a reasonable precaution which, in the event and putting it mildly, failed to dissuade the more committed contributors from venting their spleen. It was not surprising, it did get, well, heated.

However it seemed to me a sledgehammer had been used to crack a nut. That resulted in a sizeable minority being discriminated against. Following disreputable comments by excited members it seemed rather overkill which with the benefit of hindsight might have been better handled.

Perhaps the rulemakers might be persuaded to reinstate that last sentence under new rules concerning the excellent system posted by Trikey in post 8 above. The subjects concerned have been of considerable interest to so many, as they have tremendous importance to our combined futures.

Referrals to mods alleging abuse could be made and, when justified, ‘censored’ in the usual way as are other inappropriate references. I’d call that progress. Back to where we were, yes, but under new rules including a suitable subject header.
Old 25th May 2019, 16:02   #20
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
How about a subscribers only forum, called let's say, The Bar Room, where adult & other discussions can be had, age confirmation, & self moderated, no foul language etc
I know we have a discussion forum, but nobody goes there
This is perfect, nice and simply put, an age related Bar Room.

This shouldn't need for much moderating, but perhaps we could all nominate a well standing club member to be the barman, just a light-minded chap who could enforce certain Pub rules if ever needed.

Moving this forward, why not post the idea in the 'Owners Club Suggestion Box' HERE...

I'm sure it will give Pete and Reebs food for thought, or at least give them a good laugh.
Closed Thread