Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2019, 14:38   #1
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Retro fitting an auto-dimming rear view mirror

Is it possible to upgrade my standard rear view mirror and replace it with an auto-dimming one if there isn't the wiring for it inside the windscreen pillar?

It is one of the most important upgrades I can think of for my 1.8 Connoisseur, I'm continually being blinded at night by following cars with ludicrously bright headlights (Kia and Range Rover seem to be the worst culprits) and have to flick the switch on my mirror when this happens.

I would need to provide whatever wiring is required to the mechanic I use if it is possible, if so is it likely to be the sort of thing that could be taken from a another car that has one already (I'm thinking of a Trader on the forum here) and is it a relatively straight forward job to do? Help and advice gratefully needed!
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 15:21   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Very straight forward https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...21&postcount=8
Seems you asked a while ago https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=276256

Last edited by suzublu; 10th May 2019 at 15:24..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 17:04   #3
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

You're quite right I did ask Ron, but I said in my previous post it didn't mean anything to me, what's easy and straight forward for some is very difficult for me, I have zero electrical knowledge or capability. And please go easy on me, its my birthday today!
It was only today when I had a new triple layer head gasket being fitted that I asked if it could be done. Jim
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 17:46   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud owner View Post
You're quite right I did ask Ron, but I said in my previous post it didn't mean anything to me, what's easy and straight forward for some is very difficult for me, I have zero electrical knowledge or capability. And please go easy on me, its my birthday today!
It was only today when I had a new triple layer head gasket being fitted that I asked if it could be done. Jim
Well many happy returns Jim Hope you're having a good day
I know what you mean, to some people, working on these cars comes easy, to some, like you or I, it takes a lot of reading up & trying to understand
It would seem, according to links, that only 3 wire connections are needed, brown wire for the reverse switch, black for earth & switched live. I think there's a "How to" somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
See if this helps https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=36634

Last edited by suzublu; 10th May 2019 at 17:51..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote