Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th April 2019, 23:11   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default HK Highline radio issues

Anyone had similar issues and fixed.
Started with FM (Classic FM is my station of choice) acting up, initially working as normal then usually after some 5 or so minutes developed a deep drone (background) interference. Without switching off tried other frequencies (i've got BBCradio 1, 2, 3, 4 and Classic on preset buttons) and same issue. Switched over to CD player and clear as a bell so not the speakers?
Now I've got another issue with no radio at all on first switch on of ignition (position II) or engine start; switch off and on again and 8 times in 10 it's working normally - until the interference starts!
There are some other gremlins like occasional constant auto searching (just goes round and round) or less frequently, a high pitch interference drowning out everything.
A further odd thing, even with the radio switched off there is often a rhymic 'click' separated by 10-15 seconds coming from the speakers. I'm sure I've even heard it when everything is witched off and the key removed!
Where do I start?, know SFA about ICE

Last edited by rab60bit; 13th April 2019 at 09:01..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 05:17   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

The radio tuner is actually located under a plastic cover In the spare wheel well on the saloon, the first thing I’d check is whether you have water collecting in the spare wheel well. This can play havoc with the connectors.

If you remove the covers you’ll see two silver boxes, the unit on the right (drivers side) is the radio tuner, the one on the left is the video module that supplies your high line screen display. Check for corrosion especially on the 17 pin block connector to the radio module.
Reebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 17:34   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
The radio tuner is actually located under a plastic cover In the spare wheel well on the saloon, the first thing I’d check is whether you have water collecting in the spare wheel well. This can play havoc with the connectors.

If you remove the covers you’ll see two silver boxes, the unit on the right (drivers side) is the radio tuner, the one on the left is the video module that supplies your high line screen display. Check for corrosion especially on the 18 pin block connector to the radio module.
I've had a quick look in the spare wheel well today - there is some clear water swilling about (it's parked with N/S elevated on a footpath) so the water, about a 1/4 cupful, has collected on the driver side and I've mopped it up. Unfortunately looking in the actual wheelwell/side of wheelwell, I can't locate the radio tuner/cover. There is some OEM sound deadening (thin black stuff) with a slight bulge underneath - am I looking in the wrong place?
Alternatively should I be looking behind the side boot liner where the sat nav. CD drive sits?
Old 14th April 2019, 18:50   #4
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I've had a quick look in the spare wheel well today - there is some clear water swilling about (it's parked with N/S elevated on a footpath) so the water, about a 1/4 cupful, has collected on the driver side and I've mopped it up. Unfortunately looking in the actual wheelwell/side of wheelwell, I can't locate the radio tuner/cover. There is some OEM sound deadening (thin black stuff) with a slight bulge underneath - am I looking in the wrong place?
Alternatively should I be looking behind the side boot liner where the sat nav. CD drive sits?
This is the radio unit, located in the spare wheel well..

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 19:01   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Nothing like that in my wheelwell. Must be different on Contemporary SE HiLine saloon models. The laid-up Contemporary SE Tourer HiLine has some electronic bits in the O/S wheel arch area (amp + tuner?), maybe the in the same area on the saloon - I'll have to take a look tomorrow if it stays dry.
Old 15th April 2019, 07:24   #6
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

The radio tuner in a Highline saloon car is located under the cover marked B in the picture, it's the box on the right.

Lift cover marked A first, just pull it up with a bit of force, then unscrew the 4 phillips plastic clip fasteners on cover B beneath to lift that one off.

The radio tuner 17 pin BMW connector block can be seen in the next pic, (ignore the circled connector, it's not relevant to this post)

To remove the 17 pin connector block to check for corrosion, you'll need to put a flat bladed screwdriver in the slot at the top to slide the black plastic connector lock up then you can pull it off with a stiff tug.

If you need to remove the two small CD changer and Cassette / Sat Nav audio plugs, slide up the blue retaining clip first then they will drop out

Reebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 14:11   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanks, I had a quick read of my Haynes (which I don't use a great deal) last night and then realised exactly where to look!! I'll give it a coat of looking at later on and let you know what I find/whether I've been able to resolve the problems.

Now have it disconnected and tuner removed (what a pig the block is to extract if you've never seen how it works - and it's upside down!); it's been wet/possibly partially submerged but the connector block/pins all look OK slight tarnishing/salts on a couple of pins, just need a bit of a 'wash and brush up' and all the wires thoroughly blown off/dried. The arial connection however is knackered - the lead/pin end is really heavily corroded and cannot be saved, the socket on the tuner is corroded/tarnished but might clean up.
If I can find a replacement arial lead terminal (any ideas?) it will probably work OK.

Last edited by rab60bit; 15th April 2019 at 19:41.. Reason: Update