Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th April 2019, 09:38   #21
munroman
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

When we started to remodel our garden, we found that the previous owner had buried bits of his old Morris Minor all over the garden.

I needed a gaiter for a shock absorber on my Volvo, one of the gaiters off the Minor steering rack did the job just fine, it was still unperished despite being at least 40 years old and buried for goodness knows how long.

(As someone with a little knowledge of plastic and rubber, I would guess that fillers like talc and chalk are being used to excess in the plastic gaiters, this saves money, but will weaken the plastic, and especially, it will make it brittle, which will cause the cracking failures to happen quickly)

In China it is common practice for a supplier to submit great quality samples, but they can't make money on them, the ones supplied for production are usually inferior, like the case hardened screws which turned out to have been painted black, luckily I had been warned of these practices, so caught 50,000 before they caused chaos.
munroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 10:02   #22
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munroman View Post

In China it is common practice for a supplier to submit great quality samples, but they can't make money on them, the ones supplied for production are usually inferior, like the case hardened screws which turned out to have been painted black, luckily I had been warned of these practices, so caught 50,000 before they caused chaos.

Really......

Someone being a bit underhand and on the fiddle to make a few ££££'s ......

Surely not .

Maybe we need a list of suppliers of QUALITY parts that last a good amount of time?

DMGRS springs to mind with Matt's 2 year warranty.

Rimmers Bros?

How many others?

Andy
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 10:35   #23
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Why we want trade deals with countries that make substandard pattern parts is beyond me. Ive learned my lesson.
Well I've got some China ornaments on my shelf and they have years of dust on them and still looking okay.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 11:19   #24
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Well I've got some China ornaments on my shelf and they have years of dust on them and still looking okay.

That's the best place for generic drop links.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 13:35   #25
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

I've often wondered if there would be any value in occasionally giving each end of the droplinks a spray with silicone grease maybe once a month.

Something like this which claims to be safe on most rubbers: https://www.toolstation.com/action-c...bricant/p34151

In my mind it could help preserve the rubber boots but also help prevent corrosion of the nut and thread.

Any thoughts or anyone tried this?

Last edited by Gigagator; 6th April 2019 at 13:37..
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 14:31   #26
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

This may be of interest.
I test plenty of vehicles daily, and during the test plenty of them fail due to exactly the same issue, so we are not alone in this.
The quality is simply not there any more regardless of where they are purchased from. Also when you see the angles that these items operate through during steering movements, its hardly suprising these go prematurely bad.
One last observation, Some folks go the extra mile in cleaning the inside of wheel arches and the roadside car wash teams all over the country may be causing problems with the use of caustic products such as TFR, this will acellerate the problems to include the fading of black plastics and other softer materials (Tyre side-walls are also affected)
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 16:10   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I replaced one today, that I had to be honest, expected to replace. I injected a little more grease into the boots in the hope that they will do well, it cannot do any harm, or can it?

I imagine if too much grease was able to get below the ball joint, it would pop out (unlikely I know, but if it were to get to that stage the boot would leak first I assume). But we are considering the suppleness of the boot, and lubing the outside, but could the grease not damage the boot from the inside, if it were cheap 'rubber'?

I've also noticed the joints are stiff at first and this too got me thinking. If they are sitting static for a longish period of time, with 'just enough' grease, this could possible lead to dry maybe corroded sections of the joint. The extra grease we add, then sealing the corrosion and allowing it to possibly rot further, again from the inside out.

Just some additional thinking I had today replacing one of mine.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 16:16   #28
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Also, not sure what grease is being used on the boots outside, but Rubber grease would seem to be a favourite as it is formulated for rubber / synthetic similar products.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 18:58   #29
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Really......

Someone being a bit underhand and on the fiddle to make a few ££££'s ......

Surely not .

Maybe we need a list of suppliers of QUALITY parts that last a good amount of time?

DMGRS springs to mind with Matt's 2 year warranty.

Rimmers Bros?

How many others?

Andy
These substandard droplinks were from DMGRS, and yes, come with a 2 year warranty, but after 4 months having failed boots and having to replace them, then fail again a few months later, it’s not worth the extra cost for me. To be fair to Matt I’ve not bothered contacting him re warranty, parts of it failing twice in 10 months, I’m not interested in a replacement.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 19:19   #30
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Non of my vehicles have ever had a ‘car wash sprayer’ used on them, ever. If I can not hand wash it, it has to wait until I can, no matter how dirty. I have seen what car wash sprayers can do to a lorry never mind a car. Not for me thank you.