Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th January 2019, 18:30   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I was speaking to a friend this after noon who was after a new Petrol Volvo 4 months ago, the dealer gave him a delivery date of March this year with practically no discount .

He offered him the same car in Diesel in a higher spec with over £2000 of extras and the same colour with a delivery date of less than week and he got about £1500 off the list price . They have also given him a guaranteed minimum buy back price in 3 years if it has under 40k miles on it. That strikes me as being desperate.

Does it really take that long at car plants to switch the diesel engine plant off or switch it to petrol engines?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 19:06   #12
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Interesting topic. I have been pondering for a while now about selling my pride and joy. It runs like a dream, it is my hobby and I love the attention it gets but it's now a bit on the low side for my better half and she finds it a bit of a struggle to get out of it. If we hadn't downsized house wise I would have had a lovely warm garage that I could have kept it in for keeps.

Early last year for a bit of fun I put the details in to WBAC.com and they quoted £275, I did the same again later on and got a quote of £435, the quote now is £475. Now if that quote for a R75 is representative of the second hand market it suggests that demand is strong as prices have firmed up??

I still keep looking and just can't decide what to go for, front runners are XC60 or X3 (i'm still towing) but the longer I linger the longer I continue to enjoy my drive. Maybe delaying might see a price crash then!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 19:30   #13
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I have never been able to get my head round why people keep changing their cars. I have always put it down to ‘the Jones’s theory’, or boredom with what they have got. People complain that they have no money, but keep giving car dealers a big fat bonus every three years or so. My policy is, if it is running, not costing me any more than normal maintenance, replacement parts would be cheaper than a new car, especially if bodywork is ok. Nothing wrong with changing it, but it leaves me wondering . Am I doing right? I think I am.
I think it's mainly boredom, people see are a car they like so get it. My dad changes his car every 18 months or two years maximum. He just fancies a change, i don't remember any car hanging around for very long. I also used to work with someone that changed their car every 4-6 months, they got bored very quickly.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 19:52   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I think it's mainly boredom, people see are a car they like so get it. .............

It's very much like fitted kitchens. I have never understood why any kitchen should not last 20 to 25 years yet so many people seem to have them refitted much more frequently.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 22:05   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I must be a boring old #a**. We have lived in the same house for 50 years . I have had my car going into 11 years. I have had my wife for 58 years this year. We have a washing dryer over 40 years old, kitchen over 20 years. A toaster that was given to my mother and father for their marriage 81 years ago. I should be a millionaire by now, and have enough to get my Aston Martin Vanquish. The problem is I have not.
Old 14th January 2019, 22:09   #16
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I must be a boring old #a**. We have lived in the same house for 50 years . I have had my car going into 11 years. I have had my wife for 58 years this year. We have a washing dryer over 40 years old, kitchen over 20 years. A toaster that was given to my mother and father for their marriage 81 years ago. I should be a millionaire by now, and have enough to get my Aston Martin Vanquish. The problem is I have not.
Your wife must be a SAINT! Buy her some flowers QUICK!

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 23:18   #17
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It's very much like fitted kitchens. I have never understood why any kitchen should not last 20 to 25 years yet so many people seem to have them refitted much more frequently.
Fashion mainly, look at a 25 old kitchen compared to a new design it would look very dated by comparison.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 23:28   #18
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Mike, with Gove's latest downer on dirty wood, coal and wood burning stoves, I think he will soon be turning the screw on diesels, and with the chancellors help, will keep increasing that difference between petrol and diesel prices. If it's an Octavia with the 1.9TDi engine, that is/was a good engine. The 2.0L that Audi and VW replaced it with has not proved as trouble free, despite having more power. I'd stick with the KIA, especially if we fall out of the EU.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 06:33   #19
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

If true then the recently published figures are interesting!!

Solid fuel stove - wood and coal - cause 38% of Particulate Matter pollution whereas Transport amounts to just 12%
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 08:43   #20
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
If true then the recently published figures are interesting!!

Solid fuel stove - wood and coal - cause 38% of Particulate Matter pollution whereas Transport amounts to just 12%

Statistics are wonderful

"Solid fuel stoves - wood and coal - cause 38% of Particulate Matter pollution"

Given that I believe there are no longer any coal fired power stations at all and all cities are virtually coal free where is all this burning of wood & coal happening?

I can't imagine that there's enough residential use of wood/coal out in rural areas to create more pollution than all of transport - presumably including diesel trains and HGV's?

I wonder who sponsored the report and what is their (vested) interest?

Happy for more info to help my understanding.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote