Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th January 2019, 06:04   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default New car buying decision

Hi, have been thinking and looking for a while now, for a newer car to replace one of ours, probably my wife's kia ceed sw. I've found a nice skoda octavia estate just gone two years old. After great deliberations I've decided to keep what we have got as both cars are going well. The main factor is the uncertainty over the price of diesel, why is it so much more than petrol? I'm just not prepared to spend £10k on a newish car. The garage has already dropped the for sale price twice and sound as if they would give me a good trade in price for the kia.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 07:54   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, have been thinking and looking for a while now

The main factor is the uncertainty over the price of diesel
You and a lot of people are in the same quandy and that is why car sales are down.

I was speaking to a friend in the trade a few weeks ago and he reckons with the diesel, petrol and electric option people have and the uncertainty of what the cost of the fuel and road fund licence and then to top it off the B word it has killed car sales new and used. He has cars on his forecourt and a lot less than cost to shift them with amazing finance deals and people are not even wondering onto the forecourt to have a look. Ford are giving away diesel cars to dealers if they buy extra stock.

Apparently even fleet sales are down and that is very unusual apparently.

If you have the money and what to take a gamble you will probably get the deal of a lifetime on a car at the moment.

My money would be on petrol or petrol hybrid at the moment, diesel has had its day in my view and I reckon it will only get worse especially on newly registered cars. Electric is good but the infer structure is no there yet and the battery life is not good enough for long journeys. Another 5 years and I reckon battery is going to be the car everybody wants. When you consider the average life of a car in the UK is 7 years not much point in worrying.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 08:06   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

A family member has just bought a two year old diesel, said it was a good deal. Some excellent prices on diesels about if you are a high mile driver.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 08:35   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

The issues around diesel make deals pretty easy to get at the moment.

Do the sums for you between costs per litre & mpg & taxes/maintenance costs etc.

I'm sure this is teaching granny to suck eggs but think carefully about how the car is used Re: dpf.

Good luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 08:50   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

We would have normally traded in SWMBO’s car by now. We tend to buy approx 3 year old cars, keep them for a further three years then sell and buy again.

But with the uncertainty regarding how cars are taxed and fuelled we are staying put. I have a list of jobs on the ZTT which I look forward to doing and SWMBO’s i30 estate has proved totally reliable, comfortable and inexpensive to run.

So the capital stays invested where it has made a fair bit of late whereas the certainty of monetary loss on a car purchase is simply not an attractive option at all.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 12:44   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My son bought a Focus and a Kia Rio at the same time. The Rio was used and abused far more than the Ford. When they were due for changing (both same age but far more mileage on the Kia) it was the Kia that was in far better condition underneath. The Ford had more corrosion. They were both bought from the same dealer but the dealer said that Kia were far better at sorting out warranty problems! (ie no hassle)
Old 14th January 2019, 13:04   #7
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Our kia sept '63 has done 171k, it's going like a rocket, underneath it's beautiful. Not a great fan of ford.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 13:07   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have never been able to get my head round why people keep changing their cars. I have always put it down to ‘the Jones’s theory’, or boredom with what they have got. People complain that they have no money, but keep giving car dealers a big fat bonus every three years or so. My policy is, if it is running, not costing me any more than normal maintenance, replacement parts would be cheaper than a new car, especially if bodywork is ok. Nothing wrong with changing it, but it leaves me wondering . Am I doing right? I think I am.
Old 14th January 2019, 13:12   #9
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, have been thinking and looking for a while now, for a newer car to replace one of ours, probably my wife's kia ceed sw. I've found a nice skoda octavia estate just gone two years old. After great deliberations I've decided to keep what we have got as both cars are going well. The main factor is the uncertainty over the price of diesel, why is it so much more than petrol? I'm just not prepared to spend £10k on a newish car. The garage has already dropped the for sale price twice and sound as if they would give me a good trade in price for the kia.
If you cars are running well, with no issues, then why spend money replacing? Until the government sorts out the pile of s***, that is Brexit, and get round to clarifying the 'diesel question' personally I would wait and see, in any case I would not replace a car that is fulfilling its function for any reason, so hang on and see what happens, also don't forget it is a buyer's market so haggle hard when you decide to go ahead, remember in any negotiating, state your point and then say nothing let the other guy come back.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 13:23   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

You will be hard pushed to buy a newish petrol motor at the moment, forecourts are swapped with diesel motors which nobody wants.

My local car dealer has a list of customers who want petrol motors which he cannot supply, petrol and hybrid motors are being sold before they even make it to the forecourt.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote