Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd December 2018, 00:50   #51
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

70mph is truly pathetic.

The UK should sort itself out and have proper limits in place.

Whenever I drive at 70, it feels like I am going backwards, it is so woefully pedestrian.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:20   #52
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I was on the M6 a while ago and an idiot in a Range Rover came flying down the outside lane leaving everybody else standing. A few miles down the road had the satisfaction of seeing it on the hard shoulder with a traffic car sitting behind it.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:31   #53
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
70mph is truly pathetic.

The UK should sort itself out and have proper limits in place.

Whenever I drive at 70, it feels like I am going backwards, it is so woefully pedestrian.
You could always do everyone a favour and go and live abroad then Ross, nothing about the UK appears to appeal to you in any way shape or form after all.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:36   #54
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Just done a journey to and from Brum today, about 220 miles, with over 200 on motorways. Got back tonight, just after midnight. My normal discipline as to lanes and positioning, but did an estimate that though I was around the maximum speed limit all the way back, 80% of vehicles I encountered, were those overtaking me - thank goodness for rules and regulations.

Just an observation......

Was the motorway quiet that late at night? I'd imagine so.

Did you see any collisions or any gantry signs indication any sort of delay because of an "incident" (excepting "maintenance" type works)?

If not, then the fact that they were breaking an arbitary speed limit does not seem to have caused any problems whatsoever? Clearly speed didn't kill any of them or anyone else.

If the rules are perceived to be ridiculous then they will be ignored IF the chances of being "caught" are minimal &/or you've the money/power/clout to make any fine irrelevent to your lifestyle.

I'll refer back to my post No. 28. IMHO the issue is distance/space not speed.

I've had the joy of seeing some Police training videos where there the national speed limit applied and you'd be lucky or stupid to be doing more than about 10-15mph without falling off the road. And the opposite where the officers have doubled the speed limit and arrived at their destination without incident.

It's down to training, skill, concentration and the right mindset, not an arbitary speed limit.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 23rd December 2018 at 10:38..
AndyN01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:01   #55
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Just an observation......
Was the motorway quiet that late at night? I'd imagine so.
Did you see any collisions or any gantry signs indication any sort of delay because of an "incident" (excepting "maintenance" type works)?
If not, then the fact that they were breaking an arbitary speed limit does not seem to have caused any problems whatsoever? Clearly speed didn't kill any of them or anyone else.
If the rules are perceived to be ridiculous then they will be ignored IF the chances of being "caught" are minimal &/or you've the money/power/clout to make any fine irrelevent to your lifestyle.........

It's down to training, skill, concentration and the right mindset, not an arbitary speed limit.
Andy.
Well we all realize that problems that do arise are not necessarily because of the regulations, but ultimately they arise because someone chose to drive their vehicle. Not all problems are created by drivers.

However, the argument that something is "perceived to be ridiculous" would not be a defense in Court. Driving skills are not taught to expect vehicles to be driven at 100mph and some think that as they have not had an accident (or seen any they may cause) then it must be safe.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:39   #56
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

QUOTE=planenut;2696725]Well we all realize that problems that do arise are not necessarily because of the regulations, but ultimately they arise because someone chose to drive their vehicle. Not all problems are created by drivers.

However, the argument that something is "perceived to be ridiculous" would not be a defense in Court. Driving skills are not taught to expect vehicles to be driven at 100mph and some think that as they have not had an accident (or seen any they may cause) then it must be safe.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

What degree of risk do "we" consider acceptable? What is "safe?"

How many "Killed or seriously injured" is an "acceptable" number?

As with other aspects of life where the "general" view is that something is wrong it is the law that needs to be changed. The law is not set in stone, it can and is regularly changed.

Issues around people/business avoiding tax may be unacceptable to the "general public" but what they have done is not unlawful (as far as we know) so it's the Law that needs changing if "we" want to stop it.

Similarly if the Law were changed to increase the speed limit to something much higher then it would become the norm that there may be vehicles travelling at much higher speeds which would, I expect, lead to vastly better lane discipline. It would become part of the skills needed to pass the test.

Maybe if a driver who chose to change lanes into the path of a much faster vehicle which then caused a collision was prosecuted that might add some focus and concentration to the act of driving.

"Your choices and actions should never cause another road user to change speed or course" was something I heard a good time ago and is a sensible mantra. Would you pull out of a junction causing the vehicle on the other road to brake or swerve? I hope not, so you don't do it (regarless of the "law"). Similarly with lane changing.

Having said all that, IMHO, public roads are not someone's personal race track and inconsiderate driving needs to be severely punished.

Personal choice, personal responsibility.

Fascinating thread/discussion.

Thanks.

Andy

Last edited by AndyN01; 23rd December 2018 at 14:51..
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:26   #57
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

I can’t understand how people can get upset by the driving of others. As long as you complete your journey in a reasonable time and unhurt, just accept that is all you can ask. As most on here seem to be pensioners (or “seniors” for our transatlantic readers) you surely have learnt by now that the world is full of idiots, be it in the office, shops or your favourite Bingo hall. It would appear they are not all BMW drivers either as I see another thread on the forum where a 75 driver and his chums admit to anti-social drinking. Damn-it, many of them are driving diesels, and what could be more anti-social than that?

Sent from my ZX81 Spectrum using Machine code
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:55   #58
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

My bit. First dead body I saw was at around 12 years of age, under the wheels of a Birmingham ‘bus’. At crossroads where I lived. He was on his way to the Dr. We were told. Buses had been diverted because the terminus nearby was being reconstructed. SPEED around 15 mph. I have seen probably more than my share of accidents on the road being an ex HGV driver. I have seen headless bodies jumping around, squashed limbs, brake levers on push bikes going into someone’s eye right under my window in a lorry.. None have involved speed. I have seen cars upside down at main junctions on m/ ways because of stupid drivers leaving everything till the last minute on a three lane m/way to get off at their junction. Speed involved and stupidity. Those kind should lose their licence for good. I have seen a lorry driver come through the windscreen of his lorry on the M6 because he braked when he had got a front wheel puncture and hit the centre reservation. Died. How many more instances do you want that really are a combination of stupidity and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Speed does not kill, normally. It is a combination of lack of experience,thinking your clevere than you are, and utter stupidity in circumstances that can be avoided,mostly. This post has reminded me of to many views that I really don’t want to remember, but thought I would pass on the views of an ex high miler. It’s not the speed that kills, only in rare circumstances.

Last edited by bl52krz; 23rd December 2018 at 12:57..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:56   #59
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
My bit. First dead body I saw was at around 12 years of age, under the wheels of a Birmingham ‘bus’. At crossroads where I lived. He was on his way to the Dr. We were told. Buses had been diverted because the terminus nearby was being reconstructed. SPEED around 15 mph. I have seen probably more than my share of accidents on the road being an ex HGV driver. I have seen headless bodies jumping around, squashed limbs, brake levers on push bikes going into someone’s eye right under my window in a lorry.. None have involved speed. I have seen cars upside down at main junctions on m/ ways because of stupid drivers leaving everything till the last minute on a three lane m/way to get off at their junction. Speed involved and stupidity. Those kind should lose their licence for good. I have seen a lorry driver come through the windscreen of his lorry on the M6 because he braked when he had got a front wheel puncture and hit the centre reservation. Died. How many more instances do you want that really are a combination of stupidity and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Speed does not kill, normally. It is a combination of lack of experience,thinking your clevere than you are, and utter stupidity in circumstances that can be avoided,mostly. This post has reminded me of to many views that I really don’t want to remember, but thought I would pass on the views of an ex high miler. It’s not the speed that kills, only in rare circumstances.

Thank you.

Sorry that this thread has brought back some memories & images you'd rather not have had/seen.

Have a happy Christmas and a peaceful, prosperous and above all heathy New Year.

Andy.
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:40   #60
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshea View Post
I can’t understand how people can get upset by the driving of others. As long as you complete your journey in a reasonable time and unhurt, just accept that is all you can ask. As most on here seem to be pensioners (or “seniors” for our transatlantic readers) you surely have learnt by now that the world is full of idiots, be it in the office, shops or your favourite Bingo hall. It would appear they are not all BMW drivers either as I see another thread on the forum where a 75 driver and his chums admit to anti-social drinking. Damn-it, many of them are driving diesels, and what could be more anti-social than that?

Sent from my ZX81 Spectrum using Machine code
I must be as popular as a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- in a Volkswagen.
Now that the 75 has moved on, I am a 68 year old driving a BMW diesel 520.
Merry Christmas.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote