Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th January 2016, 21:23   #21
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

it makes me laugh sometimes...

Everyone moans like hell that T4's are dear and operators are few and far between...

What do you do when a solution to the hardware cost comes along.... do everything you can to talk yourselves out of it!!

Am I right in thinking that it is not illegal to own a copy of the data... just to reproduce and sell it?
Old 6th January 2016, 21:27   #22
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I am confused as to why so many people on the forum seem to believe that buying a set of disks for the T4 software suite (from whatever source) will give them the license to use it with a virtual T4.
I'd be surprised if that's what most people think. If you could get it via Torrent then I'm sure most would
Old 6th January 2016, 21:34   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
it makes me laugh sometimes...

Everyone moans like hell that T4's are dear and operators are few and far between...

What do you do when a solution to the hardware cost comes along.... do everything you can to talk yourselves out of it!!

Am I right in thinking that it is not illegal to own a copy of the data... just to reproduce and sell it?
I suspect that the T4 was costly as much because of the software as the hardware.

The vT4 should no doubt work well for those who already own a T4. I am genuinely puzzled as to how it can be legally used by soemone who does not.

Quote:

I assume by data you mean the software/firmware. In that case, the ownership lies with the owner of the IPR and not the user. It is legal to use the software/firmware only if you have purchased (own) a license to do so.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 21:36   #24
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I suspect that the T4 was costly as much because of the software as the hardware.

The vT4 should no doubt work well for those who already own a T4. I am genuinely puzzled as to how it can be legally used by soemone who does not.

I assume by data you mean the software/firmware. In that case, the ownership lies with the owner of the IPR and not the user. It is legal to use the software/firmware only if you have purchased (own) a license to do so.
then 50% of the T4's in operation around the country must be this way... beings they were an MG/R dealership tool...
Old 6th January 2016, 21:44   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
then 50% of the T4's in operation around the country must be this way... beings they were an MG/R dealership tool...
Unless the terms of the original license allowed the license to be sold on with the T4 hardware.

As is the case with OEM versions of Windows. They are only capable of being legally sold on in combination with the associated hardware.

I think the definitive answer needs to come from one of the T4 owners who is a licensee.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 22:06   #26
simonmgzs
Regular poster

mg ztt

well I have contacted the company where I purchased my t4 from and asked are the data discs still available and if so how much
2004 mg ztt 1.8 ltr turbo
2005 mg zs180
simonmgzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 22:35   #27
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https:...SEeG0HQRvqatXg
Hi all
This may help.
Regards
Steve
You may wish to include American copywrite, patent, and trademark law into the mix as well, because RDS, the backbone of TestBook belongs to Hewlett Packard in the USA.

I have originals of all of the relevant software, and in multiples, but then again I own three actual T4 machines, and two TestBook 1, and a TestBook 3.

For the purpose of day to day running, each machine has a backup disc for each original disc I own.

It may be worth contacting X-Part, as they supply technical support for their dealer network

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 22:41   #28
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

A few years ago when I was a moderator on a Radio & TV forum I approached IPC Media for permission to distribute service manuals on the site.
I explained the full reason as to why and the wherefores. IPC gave me full permission to use them, a year later I contacted them again to ask if it was still OK, I was than offered the copyright for them (ERT & Trader manuals) for a nominal sum. These are now owned by the forum.
So like I say it costs nothing to ask all they can say is no.

The thing too with S/H T4 machines even OE software might and I say might not be legally transferable!
So if we are getting all hot under the collar about the legalities of this perhaps there is no actual legal T4's dotted amongst the members.
There could be a lot of MGR owners having porridge for breakfast

Am I not correct in saying that computer programs only have a 15 year copyright anyway?

Last edited by murphyv310; 6th January 2016 at 22:45..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 22:44   #29
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
A few years ago when I was a moderator on a Radio & TV forum I approached IPC Media for permission to distribute service manuals on the site.
I explained the full reason as to why and the wherefores. IPC gave me full permission to use them, a year later I contacted them again to ask if it was still OK, I was than offered the copyright for them (ERT & Trader manuals) for a nominal sum. These are now owned by the forum.
So like I say it costs nothing to ask all they can say is no.

The thing too with S/H T4 machines even OE software might and I say might not be legally transferable!
So if we are getting all hot under the collar about the legalities of this perhaps there is no actual legal T4's dotted amongst the members.
There could be a lot of MGR owners having porridge for breakfast
Pah, that's me off to the Costa Del Sol tomorrow then Trev
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 22:47   #30
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

What flight are you getting Brian.
I'm off to pack the suitcase