Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th October 2015, 16:08   #41
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

I went to Longleat once to see the Lions, I was going to take a carcass but wasnt sure if they'd let me feed them.....
Old 28th October 2015, 16:13   #42
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Shawns question was perfectly legitimate, it's several of the replies that have broken forum rules, perhaps the mods should take note.
I'm inclined to agree with you on this.

I don't care for the catty comments - this is a car forum but it feels like a playground.

If you think he's a troll, just hit the ignore button. Problem solved.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:26   #43
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Shawns question was perfectly legitimate, it's several of the replies that have broken forum rules, perhaps the mods should take note.
Yes Shawns question was legitimate, any question could be considered legitimate but common sense should prevail when asking questions...the question asked was totally idiotic and Shawn is either very thick or knows exactly what was intended in the question, i.e, he wanted to bait folks and get these responses because he is a troll.

In answer to the question, it has never been nor will it ever be normal practice to plug a laptop in to perform ECU tests for errors etc etc. He knows that a good test drive and physical examination of an intended car buy is enough to gauge whether it's genuine or not. If I was selling a car and some fool arrived wanting to perform laptop diagnostics as part of pre buying checks I would tell them to jog on and stop wasting my time you either want to buy the car or not so stop looking for excuses not to buy....time wasting dodgepot.

If a person does not know what to look for when buying a car then take a trusted knowledgeable person instead of a laptop.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 28th October 2015, 16:26   #44
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Guys.... a member just asked a question, surely reasonably civil answers can be given without bad feeling ?
Old 28th October 2015, 16:27   #45
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Deep breaths are in order I think chaps

If Shawn really needed to ask such a question as he has, I can't see the point as he must of realised he was going to get such a reception (given the mood)

Old 28th October 2015, 16:29   #46
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Shawn....

Just a thought here......what if you plugged in your 'laptop' into a sellers car (with the best of intentions) and it say ended up damaging the cars electrics ?

Where would you stand ?

Diagnostics is a very specialized skill and it really takes someone with these skills to know how to use them.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:30   #47
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

before I get same as above what would you do if you did actually brick it?
Old 28th October 2015, 16:33   #48
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Troll baiting can be fun.

I bet he drives a Kia
Old 28th October 2015, 16:33   #49
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Do you think it would be cheeky when I fly home to the Philippines next month to carry on a parachute and strap a gps to my ankle just incase the plane goes down/missing?

It's just not done and neither is a tinkerer with delusional ideas plugging a laptop into a car for sale.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 28th October 2015, 16:34   #50
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
To turn up to view a car for sale with a diagnostic laptop under my arm?

Read countless times that people have bought cars with warning lights messed about with, and even concealed by having paper stuffed into the binnacle holes.
Surely no one would mind if they were a genuine seller?
I wouldn't mind in the slightest given your extensive experience, and of course public liability insurance that you hold

Brian
Closed Thread