Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2011, 13:47   #11
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
just dont take it to the muppet that messed it up last time , the guy with the greasy overalls.

George... If he as much as looks at my car as i drive past there he will get a finger or two... lol. Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 13:56   #12
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
MY GOD..... The full cable set is only about 30 quid... It is a hard job to do granted... But 500-1000 squid...eeeeeeek Poppy

Sorry, not very well explained, that is for the handbrake issue to be fixed, but basically needs new rear discs as the handbrake operates on drums within the discs...

If yours operates in a similar way you might need new discs and thus shoes and pads too, but it shouldnt be anywhere as near expensive on yours.

I am thinking:

Rear Discs £60
Pads £30
Shoes £30
Labour two hours

Brake Pipes £20
Labour 2 hours

Bearing £15
Labour 1 Hour

Say labour £50

£250 labour
£155 Parts

£405 + VAT

£486

If you can do it yourself all the better, I know I couldn't but then I am a complete wally when it comes to home mechanics (and maybe other things )

I am sure someone who really knows will be along shortly
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:01   #13
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Courier View Post
Sorry, not very well explained, that is for the handbrake issue to be fixed, but basically needs new rear discs as the handbrake operates on drums within the discs...

If yours operates in a similar way you might need new discs and thus shoes and pads too, but it shouldnt be anywhere as near expensive on yours.

I am thinking:

Rear Discs £60
Pads £30
Shoes £30
Labour two hours

Brake Pipes £20
Labour 2 hours

Bearing £15
Labour 1 Hour

Say labour £50

£250 labour
£155 Parts

£405 + VAT

£486

If you can do it yourself all the better, I know I couldn't but then I am a complete wally when it comes to home mechanics (and maybe other things )

I am sure someone who really knows will be along shortly
Hiya. I think that i am going to renew the shoes and sort the hand brake adjustment out then... As for the brake pipes.... I am thinking of removing the ones on and trying to get the new ones made up to the same shape. etc; Poppy
Old 29th March 2011, 14:03   #14
francoh20
Avid contributor

mg zt 1.8 turbo 160

Quote:
Grrrrrrr, my car has just failed it's MOT today....Parking brake efficiency below requirement..........Nearside rear hub wheel bearing rough when rotated..(Only had a brand new one fitted 12mths ago.)........Nearside front brake pipe excessively corroded......Off side (front to rear) brake pipe excessively corroded..........Parking brake lever has no reserve travel.
Any advice for me please...ie; cost of parts, easy to do oneself... Poppy
GGGGGGEEEEEEEZZZZZZOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! some prices people are getting told!! its £50 for a new wheel bearing and takes less than an hour to do, hand break shoes will need adjusted which is easy to do with a screwdriver thro the wheel stud holes and you can also adjust it at the lever inside the car. brake pipe cheap enought to buy just a little tricky to do and bleed brakes correctly. thank god i am a mechanic and mot tester saving myself a fortune with the prices that are being mentioned. i hope know one pays them!! its because they are rovers or mg s they just hike the prices up!!! poppy if you pm me later on i ll give you my mo number and tell you how to do the jobs on your car.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:04   #15
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Grrrrrrr, my car has just failed it's MOT today....Parking brake efficiency below requirement..........Nearside rear hub wheel bearing rough when rotated..(Only had a brand new one fitted 12mths ago.)........Nearside front brake pipe excessively corroded......Off side (front to rear) brake pipe excessively corroded..........Parking brake lever has no reserve travel.
As for the parking brake, adjustment is not difficult, removing wheels and discs to clean out drums and shoes and adjusting them is not a difficult job. The shoes can be adjusted without removing the discs, through one of the wheel stud holes, adjuster is at the top. Cable adjuster for parking brake is in front of the handbrake lever, remove the leather 'boot' on consul and tighten the nut on the adjuster, if no adjustment is possible, new cable may be needed. Brake pipes are only DIY if you have the tools, not worth buying for a one-off job, not that expensive to get done by garage. Rear Hub, don't know, but can't be defective after 12 months
Freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:06   #16
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoh20 View Post
GGGGGGEEEEEEEZZZZZZOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! some prices people are getting told!! its £50 for a new wheel bearing and takes less than an hour to do, hand break shoes will need adjusted which is easy to do with a screwdriver thro the wheel stud holes and you can also adjust it at the lever inside the car. brake pipe cheap enought to buy just a little tricky to do and bleed brakes correctly. thank god i am a mechanic and mot tester saving myself a fortune with the prices that are being mentioned. i hope know one pays them!! its because they are rovers or mg s they just hike the prices up!!! poppy if you pm me later on i ll give you my mo number and tell you how to do the jobs on your car.

Sorry, my car has rather 'unique' issues hence the prices, but going to a reputable garage that can do the job properly and the prices do tend to rack up.
Obviously if you can do it yourself and scoot around for bits etc then it is going to be cheap weirdly!

Most garages would charge 1 hour for a wheel bearing hence even at your prices you are up to £120 inc VAT 'just' for the bearing!
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:31   #17
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Hi Poppy, just a thought. If the wheel bearing is 'rough' so soon after installing, was it installed correctly? I've never heard of a faulty 'new' one before. Can the place you had it done come up with any comment?
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:39   #18
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebyrd View Post
As for the parking brake, adjustment is not difficult, removing wheels and discs to clean out drums and shoes and adjusting them is not a difficult job. The shoes can be adjusted without removing the discs, through one of the wheel stud holes, adjuster is at the top. Cable adjuster for parking brake is in front of the handbrake lever, remove the leather 'boot' on consul and tighten the nut on the adjuster, if no adjustment is possible, new cable may be needed. Brake pipes are only DIY if you have the tools, not worth buying for a one-off job, not that expensive to get done by garage. Rear Hub, don't know, but can't be defective after 12 months
Hiya. I thiught the same about the hub too... I shall get my brother to check it for me...The biggest thing is getting the pipes made up to the same shape and size...Everything else is "doable" me thinks....Poppy
Old 29th March 2011, 14:42   #19
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Hi Poppy, just a thought. If the wheel bearing is 'rough' so soon after installing, was it installed correctly? I've never heard of a faulty 'new' one before. Can the place you had it done come up with any comment?
Hiya. My brother replaced the new hub, already complete with bearing.... He takes his time for me and i am sure that it was fitted correctly....Tis' a bit of a mystery though..Poppy
Old 29th March 2011, 14:59   #20
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Now i am in a right pickle as i do not know which thread i deleted.... Please, any more answers to this one ..eeek.