Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th August 2015, 07:52   #1
75tourer
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto

Default scratched window- made it worse!

As my driver side window was slightly scratched thought i would try some preventative work to keep it in that condition. Managed to get a half inch paintbrush between the seal and glass and ran it back and forward a few times using a watering can to flush the grit away. Carried this out last night and thought that will do. Opened window today and looked much worse. Ah- just the debris smearing the glass. Oh no it has definately scratched it more. How do i clean it properly to prevent it getting any worse- Thanks
75tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 08:04   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Hello mate, I have that very problem on mine. I believe you need to remove the trim to clean it properly and I think it just pops of if persuaded upwards gently, and there is a thread somewhere on here about a spray that fills the scratches some degree but cannot find it or remember what the spray was
Lee.
It is acrylic lacquer, spray on leave overnight scrape off excess with a Stanley blade and polish with WD40, apparently makes a notable improvement.

Last edited by Lee T; 10th August 2015 at 08:21.. Reason: new information
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 09:53   #3
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75tourer View Post
As my driver side window was slightly scratched thought i would try some preventative work to keep it in that condition. Managed to get a half inch paintbrush between the seal and glass and ran it back and forward a few times using a watering can to flush the grit away. Carried this out last night and thought that will do. Opened window today and looked much worse. Ah- just the debris smearing the glass. Oh no it has definately scratched it more. How do i clean it properly to prevent it getting any worse- Thanks
I have this issue on my facelift tourer and it drives me nuts!, both my front windows were scratched when I got my car with 76k on the clock in Sept last year, like any sensible person I checked the seals and removed grit and debris., I then decided to bite the bullet and have both windows replaced and in doing so asked the fitter if he would kindly clean the weatherstrip seals when he fitted the new windows, which he duly did.

Now to my complete anger when I operated the windows they both put deep scratches down the brand new glass !( £ 200 wasted)

Now I had to get to to the bottom of this problem, so I tried to source new weatherstrips , but new ones are unavailable even at Rimmers.

I am not convinced it is dirt or grit that is the issue here but a design flaw in the curvature of the glass and the pressure point against the seal, where I suspect the internal metal bracing of the seal is what is actually damaging the window glasses. I also suspect that the seals are not flexible enough , and would even go as far as to say they were a faulty batch, or MGR cost cutting!!

Keep this thread going. until we find a solution .
Remanufacture might be our only option.

Last edited by Busboy; 10th August 2015 at 11:45.. Reason: Spelling errors
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 10:21   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Hello mate, I have that very problem on mine. I believe you need to remove the trim to clean it properly and I think it just pops of if persuaded upwards gently, and there is a thread somewhere on here about a spray that fills the scratches some degree but cannot find it or remember what the spray was
Lee.
It is acrylic lacquer, spray on leave overnight scrape off excess with a Stanley blade and polish with WD40, apparently makes a notable improvement.
I'd be very interested in that spray when you remember Lee. Both mine are scratched quite heavily now and that sounds an ideal solution, not worried about removing the scratches so much as making it look a bit better.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:26   #5
75tourer
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto

To try and improve the situation this is what ive done. Stuck two flat blade screwdrivers between the window glass and seal(carefully with tape on drivers). about 6 inches apart to open the seal with the window slightly. Then used the edge of another flat screwdriver to scrape inside the rubber seal that contacts the window. Removed as much grit as possible then wrapped a microfibre cloth around the driver to give the seal a final clean a few times back and forward. Repeated this along the length of the seal. Flushed with water and a clean cloth on the screwdriver again. Done both sides and seems to have removed all the grit. There is a surprising amount of grit on the seal and needs a fairly firm scrape to remove it all. I think my attempt with a paintbrush yesterday only dislodged some grit and made it worse when i operated the windows today. Will monitor and see if this has done the trick. Out with some glass polish tonight to see if i can remove the light scratches that my botched clean up effort inflicted!!.
75tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:54   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
I'd be very interested in that spray when you remember Lee. Both mine are scratched quite heavily now and that sounds an ideal solution, not worried about removing the scratches so much as making it look a bit better.
Here's the thread in question David http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=221099

I use the above method of cleaning with a flat screwdriver wrapped in cloth, you'd be amazed at the amount of crud that comes out
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote