Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2014, 22:38   #1
petespieces
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 auto

Default Any sparky's on here, need advice.

I have an induction hob which I am connecting to two phases of my three phase supply.

The unit has five wires, two live, two neutral and one earth.

As per the installation diagram I will be connecting the two neutrals together at the unit.

The question I have is does the neutral from the fuse box need to be (approx) twice the size of one phase, for instance if the phases are 2.5mm should the neutral be 6mm.

I think the answer is no, 2.5 the same as the phases but need to be sure.

I have rewired the whole house and balanced the three phases so I'm quite OK handling the system (passed by EDF), just this one thing I need to know.

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by petespieces; 16th February 2014 at 22:41..
petespieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 22:47   #2
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

The size of cable is determined by the load you are putting on it
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 22:53   #3
petespieces
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
The size of cable is determined by the load you are putting on it
The instructions state 2.5mm with 16a fuse for each live but does the neutral need to be twice the capacity of each live?

Thanks.

Pete.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:03   #4
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Ah, I see.
The neutral can be 2.5mm also. Think about your incoming supply to your house. You probably have something like 25 square mm for each phase, and 25mm for neutral too.
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 23:08   #5
petespieces
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
Ah, I see.
The neutral can be 2.5mm also. Think about your incoming supply to your house. You probably have something like 25 square mm for each phase, and 25mm for neutral too.
Thanks Steve, that's what I thought, as I already have a spare supply to the kitchen it will save me a lot of time pulling another cable through the gaine, even if that's possible

Pete.
Old 17th February 2014, 20:52   #6
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespieces View Post
I have an induction hob which I am connecting to two phases of my three phase supply.

The unit has five wires, two live, two neutral and one earth.

As per the installation diagram I will be connecting the two neutrals together at the unit.

The question I have is does the neutral from the fuse box need to be (approx) twice the size of one phase, for instance if the phases are 2.5mm should the neutral be 6mm.

I think the answer is no, 2.5 the same as the phases but need to be sure.

I have rewired the whole house and balanced the three phases so I'm quite OK handling the system (passed by EDF), just this one thing I need to know.

Thanks

Pete

Are you are in a farm or an industrial building/large or multi-floorhouse to have 3 phase supply.

Any link to the wiring diagram or a scan of it. Have you actually got 2 phases on the same floor or in the same room?
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 21:08   #7
galaxyclass
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

As above, 2.5mm neutral is ok, must be some size house you have there.
Mods done - Spyhole mod - Xenons - Blue dash lights (except message centre) - VIS indicators - Illuminated sun visors - Drivers grab handle - Smiley plate - Rear electric blind - Handbrake compensator.

Mods to do - Powerfolds - Better ICE - Headlight washers - Heated seats - cruise - And loads more i can't remember.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
galaxyclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 21:27   #8
petespieces
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 auto

Not a large house, three beds, two reception etc.

Out here in the French countryside 3 phase is common, ERDF will change to single phase but apparently I would have to pay the cost of replacing the overhead cables from the village to our place, believe me that is not going to happen

basically the current setup has one phase to feed upstairs and the water tank heater, one phase for cooker and dishwasher and one phase for original hob and clothes washer, the sockets and lights etc are split by the various rooms depending on power usage.

The kitchen is the only room where all three phases will be in use, one for the cooker and two for the new hob.

The earth is provided through spikes driven into the ground, when we first moved into here there was only one ground earth point and the cable was actually broken (so NO earth), my wife kept getting a small shock whenever she used the washing machine

Last edited by petespieces; 17th February 2014 at 21:44..
Old 17th February 2014, 21:46   #9
galaxyclass
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespieces View Post
Not a large house, three beds, two reception etc.

Out here in the French countryside 3 phase is common, ERDF will change to single phase but apparently I would have to pay the cost of replacing the overhead cables from the village to our place, believe me that is not going to happen

basically the current setup has one phase to feed upstairs and the water tank heater, one phase for cooker and dishwasher and one phase for original hob and clothes washer, the sockets and lights etc are split by the various rooms depending on power usage.

The kitchen is the only room where all three phases will be in use, one for the cooker and two for the new hob.

The earth is provided through spikes driven into the ground, when we first moved into here there was only one ground earth point and the cable was actually broken (so NO earth), my wife kept getting a small shock whenever she used the washing machine
Ahh, I never noticed your location, I contemplated mentioning about part p etc in my original reply but I see that is irrelevant in your case.
Enjoy.
Mods done - Spyhole mod - Xenons - Blue dash lights (except message centre) - VIS indicators - Illuminated sun visors - Drivers grab handle - Smiley plate - Rear electric blind - Handbrake compensator.

Mods to do - Powerfolds - Better ICE - Headlight washers - Heated seats - cruise - And loads more i can't remember.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
galaxyclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 20:09   #10
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyclass View Post
Ahh, I never noticed your location, I contemplated mentioning about part p etc in my original reply but I see that is irrelevant in your case.
Enjoy.
Neither did I clock the location! A few questions; How many amps per phase? Do local regs require warning signs when two phases are present? Is it a 'TT' type supply ie overhead cables on a post or underground cable?

Re the earth spike. Nasty!
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote