Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd December 2013, 20:31   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Tostie maker

We must have bought this 10 to 15 years ago, used briefly, then put in the cupboard. The instructions are long gone, but it can't be that difficult surely....

It comes with three non-stick liners, toastie, waffle and one I guess for steak grilling, plus a little plastic thingummy to catch the fat which flows out when grilling. No switches, no temperature adjustment knob.

Looking them up generally, they say - wait until the light comes on showing it is up to temperature. Butter the bread, but put it butter side out to prevent them sticking, add filler and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until brown. Some say not to butter, but I have tried both methods.

There lies the problem, even in there for 20 minutes, the bread never browns apart from very slightly. 5 minutes and they are good and hot, 20 minutes and they are really hot, but the bread is rather dry and hard where it has crimped.

I'm thinking that maybe it is running too cool - any thoughts on the subject welcome please. I have an IR thermometer and could check the plate temperatures.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:32   #2
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

I think every home has one harry.

Too much work for my liking.

Warburtons bread tends to brown better than other white bread .

The last time I used ours the cheese ran all over the place .

Sling it.

Last edited by FLYER; 23rd December 2013 at 21:34..
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:59   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Why they call them a sandwich toaster beats me, it tends to fry the bread into greasy mess.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:15   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

I first came across toasted sandwiches 40+ years ago, in a cafe and they were good - nicely browned, no leakage and sealed all the way round. My first attempt this time used Warburton's bread, size which was a perfect fit for the toaster.

Anyway, if I can't get this process sorted out, what are we going to have for Christmas dinner

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 23rd December 2013, 22:15   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Seem to remember you had to butter the outside of the bread on the early ones to brown the bread

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:20   #6
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Being a student, I'm a very keen follower of the toastie. I tend to use a tiny amount of oil on the two hotplates. Make sure it's warm, and the light goes out/comes on (depends on the machine) and then place the bread, with crusts removed, into the machine. Warburtons do a Toastie loaf, which is ideal for this! In terms of fillings, try not to put huge slabs of cheese in, and it'll not only toast better, but taste lighter.
Hope this helps!
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:25   #7
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Just bought another this week, tried buttered outside and no butter at all, Oh, and when hot fit one slice first and close to emboss bread where needs to be trimmed to toaster size slice, worked a treat yesterday, sealed as it should no leakage.

Next effort will be quick spray with 1-cal aerosol, thinks will be just enough to brown nicely with no mess, Personal preference, I like sliced onion with my cheese so bought a deep one!

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 09:10   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I've been leaving the crusts on and putting a good thick filling in, so I'll try again with less filling and no crusts - thanks.

Old 24th December 2013, 09:42   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

The one we have, you switch it on, light comes on to indicate its warming up, when the light goes out,it's up,to operating temp. Put the sandwich in, close lid, light comes on and off throughout the cooking process,when it's cooked, the light stays on permanently.
Old 24th December 2013, 13:40   #10
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Default Harry and the toastie thingy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
I like sliced onion with my cheese so bought a deep one!
Onion & cheese. Now that sounds worth trying! Also try spreading curry paste with thinly sliced leftover spuds 'n' cheese.

As this is the season of leftovers let the experiments roll .........!
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote