Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th November 2013, 19:44   #1
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Default 3dtv

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you have a 3DTV and what your thoughts are on it?
Currently I have a 50" Panasonic plasma with an 84" projector screen that drops down in front of the tv for movies. Coupled to this is a Sony STR-DB940 amp for the surround sound, so I do like AV equipment and have been looking at the possibility of 3D.
Are 3D tv's all they're hyped up to be?
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 19:48   #2
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Both my Brother in law and my niece, have 3D TV's!

They have a Samsung and an LG and the picture quality and depth of picture blow me away!

Will definitely get one, when we can afford one!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 19:51   #3
RovernearDover
Gets stuck in

Mk2 Rover 75 Connoiseur CDTi

I've got a similar set up but with a 60" Sharp LCD. From a personal point of view the 3D function is a complete waste of time - that said others swear by it. I didn't buy the TV for the 3D functionality so it didn't matter that it already had it, but for me it is a gimmick & doesn't do anything to enhance my enjoyment of watching films.

I would suggest you give it a try first, although I think it's a gimmick I rather suspect it's one of those 'marmite' things!
Old 26th November 2013, 20:01   #4
Stoker
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connie SE TOURER 1.8 AUTO / 2.0V6 Connie SE sold

Hi I was a bit of a hifi tv buff for years but can no longer afford the really expensive toys anymore.
When I retired I treated myself to a Pioneer 43XDE Plasma which cost £2800 and a a/v system based around Kef spkrs/sub and Harmon Kardon AV amp.
I then replace the Harmon Kardon with a Denon amp at a third of the price to obtain 3d futureproofing and the new sound derivatives.
I really fancied the new Sony 55nch 3d tv but the price was prohibitive.
Having done some research I came across the Panasonc 3d 50 8nch plasma at a price of 11-1400 pounds, but by buying the model with the non reflective screen I managed to get this model including delivery and 5 years warranty from john Lewis at a total cost of £599.
If and only if you have a dark room environment tha tv is superb in terms of picture quality.
In other words worth doing a little surfing.

3d is what it is and depencds on your preference ie sports movies or games you get what you pay for.
I use mne mainly for movies and it is excellent but remember to ensure the 2d picture quality and other features are up to speed.
Also on actve shutter models cheaper glassses that wll work with the new 3d systems are avalable e.g Samsung at £30 a pair icontrast to Panasonic at £50 - £70 plus
Hope this helps a little bit

Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 20:12   #5
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

It's a gimmick, I have a Samsung UE37D6750, which has 3D capability, for a start, you loose half the brightness when wearing the supplied glasses, the 3D effect looks more like a pop-up book of several layers rather than the 3D you see in real life.

I bought it because at the time a friend of mine worked for Samsung and could get a substantial discount, and it was a top model in the 6 series range (£700 odd).

Cannot say I'm really impressed with it after living with it though. The 'Smart' features are very unreliable, the ITV Player app crashes everytime you launch it - without fail, BBC iPlayer is generally OK, except you cannot watch any 3D content over this feature as the Side-by-side 3D option is blanked out.

The built in web browser makes a 386 look like a super computer.

The sound is terrible, the downside of such a thin cabinet. Picture is OK, but no where near as good as the old Pioneer plasma which we have in our living room.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 20:16   #6
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

I think I should go and have a demo of a 3dtv somewhere. It obviously has it's pros and cons but if I get the same 'WOW' factor that I remember getting when I first saw HD, then it might be on my shopping list
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 20:39   #7
rashi_g_h
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I got a Optoma 3d projector.
75" screen and the 3d effects are great!
Specially when watching the football on Sky
looks like your at the the stadium
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20131126_004[1].jpg (128.8 KB, 30 views)
rashi_g_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:20   #8
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

As said above make sure you can see 3d as some people cannot.
I would love a 3dtv but they are far to pricey for me.
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:08   #9
galaxyclass
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

I have an lg 3dtv and think its great. It uses passive glasses so they are cheap and can be obtained from the cinema for £1

Also with passive glass's you don't see flickering when looking at any other source of light such as a window or lamp. The modern lg TVs have a dual screen option where by the TV shows two sources in full screen with each person wearing glasses that are for watching a certain source.

I found the lg one much better than the Samsung I had before it.
Mods done - Spyhole mod - Xenons - Blue dash lights (except message centre) - VIS indicators - Illuminated sun visors - Drivers grab handle - Smiley plate - Rear electric blind - Handbrake compensator.

Mods to do - Powerfolds - Better ICE - Headlight washers - Heated seats - cruise - And loads more i can't remember.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
galaxyclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 05:38   #10
Steve42
I really should get out more.......

mg 190+

have a Samsung 40 inch . and love it .
I am often watching tron in 3d or avatar .
my advice is try it out first.
some people I know it gives them a headache .
but never had a problem with it . as long as you don't mind the glasss
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote