Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd September 2020, 14:34   #11
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulonsite View Post
Thakn sto everyone who made suggestions. Apart from the initial reading, the engine is clear as a bell, and my T4 showed has only ever shown 1 error code, M31, intermittment misifre (I traced it to Cylinder 3) and a new glowie solved that. so:

1. Put redex in
2. Went for on1 hour drive in Sport mode, acclereating as hard as possible and keeping revs up as much as possible.
3. Asked locla friendly garage for 'non-MOT' emissions test.

Result: 0.4

How the HECK did the morning MOTers get a starting figure a whole digit above???? I went back with the new test results, and asked if it was at the right temp. They claimed yes, so I suppose it must have been 'some kind of' injector clogging after all.

Who knows if it will pass when repairs are done and it is retested. If I can get it before they test so I can blast it, so much the better.

As for the MOTing Garage claiming 'The Govt is trying to legislate old cars off the road' and 'the test limits have gone up'...there is no need for that kind of blarney.

Paul
An intermittent misfire on a diesel!? The glow plugs aren't needed on these cars in this country to start, even if it is -10c they will start without glow plugs. It's one of the advantages of common rail injection.

I would be very shocked if a glow plug actually caused a misfire, it would be significantly more likely that it is the injector.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 16:38   #12
Simulator
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Unhappy emissions

Just had an mot failure on emissions my CDT has done 137k so I cleaned the EGR a few months ago but not the inlet manifold. Ive also noticed an occasional misfire. The mechanic told me I'm treating car too gently and it needs to be 'thrashed' for a week before bringing it back for retest. Will cleaning inlet manifold cure it or would appreciate any comments.
Simulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 16:49   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulator View Post
Just had an mot failure on emissions my CDT has done 137k so I cleaned the EGR a few months ago but not the inlet manifold. Ive also noticed an occasional misfire. The mechanic told me I'm treating car too gently and it needs to be 'thrashed' for a week before bringing it back for retest. Will cleaning inlet manifold cure it or would appreciate any comments.
advice I have been given. Fit a new fuel filter full of injector cleaner, run car for 30 seconds, turn off and leave overnight. Next day, drive it like you stole it.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 16:56   #14
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I had same issue last year and they have to go in the plate value . Clearly pushing diesel off the road .
I actually just give it a 15 min blast on the motorway at 70 in 4th gear and also changed the air filter.
I was quite surprised how dirty it was after just 4000 miles ISH.
Anyway it passed much to the disappointment of the mot tester .
Good luck anyway
Old 20th October 2020, 08:26   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
An intermittent misfire on a diesel!? The glow plugs aren't needed on these cars in this country to start, even if it is -10c they will start without glow plugs. It's one of the advantages of common rail injection.
Often mentioned on the forum but I had a 75 diesel that wouldn't start on a frosty morning with a temperature of -6C. The glow plug relay had corroded and been removed months before so I thought I'd fit a spare and it worked fine from then on.
Now there could well have been an underlying fault, but nothing came up on T4, and the car ran perfectly for the next couple of years and a fair few thousand miles until we got rid of it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote