Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th June 2017, 13:10   #1
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Default To re-map or not to re-map, that is the question.

I have a Connie 131 diesel auto and have been considering a 160 re-map.

here is my dilemma.

I have received my renewal insurance details from Tesco which is £337 and includes motor legal protection, NCD protection and a small courtesy car etc. But they will NOT offer re-map insurance.

The ONLY viable insurer by a mile who WOULD are Liverpool Vic. They would provide approx. similar general cover at a cost of £418 or £458 with a re-map.

Problem is, after the cost of the re-map I would have the extra cost of initally £121 and presumably every year thereafter, but I would also be bound into LV at each renewal and we all know that insurers can milk you after the initial year. As I said other re-map insurers quoted over £600+ p.a.

My heart wants to re-map but my pensioner's head says steady on "Is it worth it"?
Ray L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:20   #2
Annie
Avid contributor

2002 CDT Auto Con SE Saloon

i think that it will bug you all the time you own the car that it could have given you more. if you can afford the extra insurance easily and the remap then go for it, if not enjoy the car as it is.
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:42   #3
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray L View Post
I have a Connie 131 diesel auto and have been considering a 160 re-map.

here is my dilemma.

I have received my renewal insurance details from Tesco which is £337 and includes motor legal protection, NCD protection and a small courtesy car etc. But they will NOT offer re-map insurance.

The ONLY viable insurer by a mile who WOULD are Liverpool Vic. They would provide approx. similar general cover at a cost of £418 or £458 with a re-map.

Problem is, after the cost of the re-map I would have the extra cost of initally £121 and presumably every year thereafter, but I would also be bound into LV at each renewal and we all know that insurers can milk you after the initial year. As I said other re-map insurers quoted over £600+ p.a.

My heart wants to re-map but my pensioner's head says steady on "Is it worth it"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
i think that it will bug you all the time you own the car that it could have given you more. if you can afford the extra insurance easily and the remap then go for it, if not enjoy the car as it is.
I have the re map (160 Phil T4),I notified my insurance and it was at no extra cost.

There is a noticeable difference in the driving experience,a small saving on fuel but the smile on your face is priceless

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:48   #4
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

The Consumer Insurance (Representation and Disclosure) Act 2012 removes the duty on consumers to disclose any facts that a prudent underwriter would consider material, and replaces this with a duty to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation.

So that protects you when you buy a car that has been modified in some way that you don't know about. For example, many cars these days come with a turbocharger, how are you supposed to know the one you are buying has had an aftermarket turbo fitted? Obviously we do, but the ordinary person in the street who knows little about cars who eventually buys that car may not. .

In other words, a previous owner may already have done the 160 remap, and not told you . . . so you can't have a duty to tell the insurers if you don't know about it.

So maybe the previous owner of your car did have a 160 remap and not told you?

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 14:53   #5
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
if you can afford the extra insurance easily and the remap then go for it, if not enjoy the car as it is.
Do we know anybody whose insurance company increased their premium upon notification of a remap?

I mean know personally, not as in ''my dad used to be a rover master engineer, my mum was the queen of montegos and my remap added seventy two and six to my insurance.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 15:34   #6
Annie
Avid contributor

2002 CDT Auto Con SE Saloon

I notified mine i was remapping from 116 to 131 and they said they weren't interested as long as it hadnt been mechanically modified to get more power
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 16:14   #7
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Within the first year of me passing my test (aged 20) I remapped my L series ZR - I told them it went from 115bhp (my mind could be foggy on that) to 150bhp. It made no difference.

If the OP is having issues getting cover, I'd suggest trying a modified car insurance broker such as Adrian Flux. They'd more than likely find the new power output negligible and it shouldn't impact the premium.
Old 14th June 2017, 19:11   #8
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Try Peter Best classic car insurance. Mines remapped and I have an agreed value policy with them too and don't pay more than £210 fully comp. Go on be a mad pensioner and get the car mapped - you'll not regret it

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 21:17   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Also Try Adrian Flux.
I'm sure I pay less then £300 with remap and a lot of other mods

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 14:01   #10
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Default To re-map or not to re-map. That is the question

Many thanks for the various replies.

I did in fact try Peter Best, they were unable to supply a quote.

I did also try Adrian Flux, quoting my Club membership, I could'nt believe it, they quoted over £600 for my non remap without any extras and £639 with a re-map also excluding any extras.

My Tesco renewal quote is £339 with all the extras e.g. Prot NCD, Legal cover, small courtesy car. Use in EU, key theft, etc. etc. but no re-map cover!

If I want basically the same cover from LV it would cost £418 or £458 if re-mapped. Their basic quote without the extras is £337.

Comparison sites offered me over 25 alternative insurers for basic and 7 insurers if I re-mapped. At least half under the £600 mark.

Question. I know I am a pensioner but I have 12 years NCD so, what am I to deduce from Peter Best and Adrian Flux? What have some of you other guys got that I have'nt?
Ray L is offline   Reply With Quote