Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th April 2014, 19:46   #21
ashley101
Avid contributor

2002 Conn SE 75 Tourer (Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulontour View Post
OK, so back to your original question. Can I fit a DPF to my rover. In a nutshell No.

Your car was manufactured with a Cat so there isn't a DPF for your model.
A DPF is controlled by the ecu to regenerate itself on a regular basis. I would imaging a dpf wouldn't even be written in the mapping software of your ecu.

Either buy a diesel car that's Euro 5 emissions or get a petrol car.
Okay, great, thanks for clarifying things. I don't know anything about catalytic options, but would there be a possibility of seriously uprating the one that's already fitted? Any idea on cost for that? Or a total non-starter? I'm not even sure if it'd pass the German regulations then, but it's something to consider/investigate...
ashley101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 19:53   #22
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Why not track down a fellow German member on here and see what their solution was or wasn't?
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 19:57   #23
Howey
Banned

MG ZT-T 160 cdti

Ashley, this doesn't sound right mate....I work for Mercedes and there is definitely no DPF retrofit application for older Merc diesels. I even checked this with a German collegue who is with us on work placement..he has never heard of such a thing and he is based in Stuttgart which I should imagine has a low emissions zone
Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 20:00   #24
Paulontour
Avid contributor

MGZT 190 and MGF VVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley101 View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry - I made a typo in the original post! As I understand things, the retrofit is required because the car was manufactured and registered before 2006.

Perhaps this is something that simply isn't available here because of a lack of need?

Thanks,
Ashley
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley101 View Post
Just to prove that I haven't dreamt this up, here's an official link which clears up the requirements: http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeu...usland/england

Hard as it is to believe here in the UK, every diesel after 2006 requires modifications to drive in many German cities... It's certainly something to bear in mind for people who might be taking continental trips, as it's a relatively recent introduction in many places and ignoring it comes with undesirable consequences even for visitors.

A DPF retrofit is the solution that Germans use for this situation, but does anyone know of somewhere I can get this fitted in the UK? I posted a link earlier about how DPFs are fitted to large vehicles that drive in London, so I'm sure it must be possible to get this done here, unconventional as is might be because of the different legal situation. If they do it to every (recently) old German diesel, it can't be the case that it's unfeasible from a technical perspective. I'm just looking or a steer in the right direction re:people/companies to approach...

The alternatives are of course to buy a later DPF car or a petrol model, but I love my 75 and plan to keep it for a few years. Trips to Berlin are nevertheless going to be a regular feature. If I have to lay down £1k to get the 75 up to spec then that's definitely my preferred option, and in the UK if at all possible.

Ashley I`m still confused.
Paulontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 20:01   #25
Howey
Banned

MG ZT-T 160 cdti

Ashley, I have just checked this for you....all the website says is you purchase a window sticker which is a different colour depending on if your car is EURO 2,3,4 or 5 complient.

The only time you CANNOT but a sticker and therefore get fined is if your car has NEITHER a catalyst nor a DPF filters your car has a catalyst so doesn't fall into this last category. Your car will be either euro 3 or 4 complient so you just need to purchase the relevant sticker.

I hope this helps
Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 20:28   #26
ashley101
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulontour View Post
Ashley I`m still confused.
Hi Paul,

Sorry, I don't know what's going on in my head! It's definitely the ones before 2006 that need modification, not after.
Old 9th April 2014, 20:29   #27
ashley101
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howey View Post
Ashley, I have just checked this for you....all the website says is you purchase a window sticker which is a different colour depending on if your car is EURO 2,3,4 or 5 complient.

The only time you CANNOT but a sticker and therefore get fined is if your car has NEITHER a catalyst nor a DPF filters your car has a catalyst so doesn't fall into this last category. Your car will be either euro 3 or 4 complient so you just need to purchase the relevant sticker.

I hope this helps
Hi Howey,

Thanks so much for checking it all out. I can definitely get a sticker, but it'll only be a class 3 (yellow). All cars in Berlin need a class 4 (green)...

I'm not sure what to say about your German colleague, as it'd definitely seem like something Stuttgart would have. It really seems like an absolute must for Berlin... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 9th April 2014, 20:30   #28
ashley101
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
Why not track down a fellow German member on here and see what their solution was or wasn't?
That's a great idea Steve - I didn't realise there were any here! Do you know any of their usernames?
Old 9th April 2014, 20:30   #29
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Here you go.

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/image...%20english.pdf

Basically, diesel cars registered before 01.01.2006 cannot drive in the envirozone, unless they have had a particulate filer retrofitted.

Your car is Euro 3 (built between 01.01.2001 and 31.12.2005), so qualifies for a yellow sticker. A DPF retrofitted would change your classification to "Euro 3 + filter" which qualifies for a green sticker. But the cost of doing this would be prohibitive, if it could be done at all.

I note that the fine for violating the rules of the envirozone is just 40 euros. Could be worth the risk, given the cost and the hassle of an alternative solution? I'm sure you have a colour printer with green ink...

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 20:38   #30
ashley101
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
Here you go.

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/image...%20english.pdf

Basically, diesel cars registered before 01.01.2006 cannot drive in the envirozone, unless they have had a particulate filer retrofitted.

Your car is Euro 3 (built between 01.01.2001 and 31.12.2005), so qualifies for a yellow sticker. A DPF retrofitted would change your classification to "Euro 3 + filter" which qualifies for a green sticker. But the cost of doing this would be prohibitive, if it could be done at all.

I note that the fine for violating the rules of the envirozone is just 40 euros. Could be worth the risk, given the cost and the hassle of an alternative solution? I'm sure you have a colour printer with green ink...
That sounds exactly like what I've found to date, so thanks for the confirmation. It's not great what you say about the conversion being cost-prohibitive/potentially impossible, though. This isn't looking good!!

You're right about the fine; it might be worth giving it a go. I have to have the green sticker to drive within Berlin, so other options don't look easy. The €40 fine isn't too high, although I might worry about the one point on the driving license. Not sure if/how that might affect me back in the UK - or if I ever chose to live in Germany in the future.

Ah, all this environmental stuff is such a PAIN!!