Any take some pictures to create a "How to"
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 17:37   #12
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Mmm, that is the bit which is worrying me, all the guides fail to mention any need to warm the screen to ease the removal and all make it look just too easy.
It is very daunting the first time of opening one up. I've done a few now. I replaced the screen on my ipad a few weeks ago. That was even more daunting.
Just take your time.
Yes, use a hair dryer to soften the glue, but don't get it too hot. Follow the youtube guides and pause it at each step.
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 22:57   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Any take some pictures to create a "How to"
What? Including the point where the screen cracks

Implements due to be delivered tomorrow.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 23:01   #14
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

It will almost certainly be the connector for the earpiece on the main PCB which is faulty, they are prone to breaking when attempting to disassemble the phone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EARPIE...item43b8a6d521

It is soldered to the PCB, and not easy to replace.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 23:03   #15
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Quote:

Having checked the serial number, it suggests the case should be white, but it is a white 16Gb 3GS. I don't know how much value to put on this information, but it is definitely a 16Gb. Do the different colours denote the memory size?

If this is the wrong colour, the case might have been swapped - I'm doing a great deal of guessing, until I can get into it.
Case colour is not indicative of memory size.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 00:20   #16
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Mmm, that is the bit which is worrying me, all the guides fail to mention any need to warm the screen to ease the removal and all make it look just too easy.
Harry, you should be fine provided you don't rush trying to get the screen out.

As already said, you just need to warm it up to soften the glue (or it may have been put in with double-sided sticky tape) but don't get it too hot.

With the tools you're getting, by easing the screen gently after warming, you'll see & feel it release.

Start from the bottom & work your way up both sides to the top as the ribbon cables attach at the top end.

In answer to your previous question & as said above, the case cover does not indicate memory size.

Also, the chinese (non-genuine) screens are slightly thicker than the original item & so do not sit as flush as the original.

Good luck !
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 11:57   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

UPDATE, as far as I have got....

Undid the two screw in the base, the screen pulled out real easy, just a sort of gasket around the edge of the screen.

Removed cables 1, 2 and 3 - 3 lacked the flip up part, which I assume makes contact. which if it feeds the ear speaker, might explain that not working.

The edge of the camera looks rather odd, like corrosion or similar. [EDIT] that was just tape.

Many of the screws were quite loose inside.

So that confirms someone has got at it before...

Anyone got a spare flippy up plastic part, from cable #3 socket please?

For now, I have put it back together - and it still works at least as well as before :-)

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 18th February 2014 at 14:02..
Old 21st February 2014, 18:03   #18
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I decided fcp 3, the broken socket for cable #3 was well beyond my bench equipment to even attempt to replace the socket. Its a surface mount about 1/8" square, with 12 pins and needs a microscope to even see it properly. So searched ebay and found a guy in Bishop Auckland who offers the replacement installed. He is only charging £14.99 for a the job inc P+P, which usually costs around £40-£50. He has agreed to fit a replacement camera too, should it need one, for an extra £3. So I took a run up there today, to deliver it in person.

If anyone needs such a repair, I'll happily pass his details on, once I am satisfied with the job.

Old 23rd February 2014, 16:26   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I've just had a message from this guy, to say its all fixed all working. He has replaced the damaged fpc 3 socket and all that was wrong with the camera, was that it had been left unplugged by who ever delved into it before I got it.

The charge - just £14.99 including his postage back to me..
Absolute bargain for the micro surgery soldering job and it has got me thinking about whether he might be able to sort out the IPK's of our cars, with the lines which appear on the dot matrix display.

It is a quite similar micro-surgery.

Old 23rd February 2014, 16:36   #20
Yeti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT190+, MG ZT-T Diesel

If you need one I have a 3gs 32gb in black on Orange you can have for £100. Almost immaculate. Have box but no cable charger or headphones