Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2019, 11:49   #101
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Perhaps the above will explain to you why that part of my post is relevant?

As you are determined not to try to achieve a real understanding of the situation, I will not bother to try and correct that!

Perhaps the textbook needs to be reread?

Still not proving your theory of high voltage spikes from a battery on connection/disconnection. Stating the formula, and saying how clever you are, doesn't make what you state as fact true. Where are the calculations to predict the size of the spike? (without which you don't even have a theory let alone proof). Where's the empirical evidence? (i.e. measurements of voltage spikes in the scenario being discussed).

Quote:
The CTEK chargers are designed and tested/qualified in Sweden. They are manufactured in China to CTEK quality specifications..

This is a similar model to that used by a number of other recognised quality manufacturers.

The model is very different to the generic items, sold under many names, whose "design, test and qualification" is often carried under very different business ethics.

I expect they follow the same manufacturing pattern as many (as in fact the company I work for does). The design and some samples will be tested at the HQ/Design/quality office/lab. But quality control for the majority will be at the production line in China. 'Very Different' is subjective I think. Brian will be able to tell you how different as he's actually disassembled one of the aldi chargers and compared.

Quote:
I, like many other modellers (mostly in the US) spent a number of years playing with far eastern petrol model aircraft engines which had the same form (but not the functionality!) as US/Japanese engines. You kept seeing the same engines being sold under different names and were in the most part completely rubbish. These would often last 3-6 months of flying whereas a Zenoah will easily last 10-20 years. Fortunately, I have my stockpile of new Zenoah's in the cupboard.

Ultimately, it is all to do with business ethics.

I found this yesterday - make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg4ximDrsk

I hardly think that's a relevant comparison, to compare these engines with electronics.

Quote:
Oi
PS I do not teach, I give people the opportunity to see the light. Some are capable of doing so!

Pull the other one. You seem much more concerned with trying to baffle with alphabet soup and sound like you know what you are talking about than demonstrate that you actually do by experiment or calculation. Maybe you do, maybe I'm wrong: but I've only read abstract theories so far based on some quite broad assumptions and one formula. Go and do the predictive calculations (or go one better and find if they've already been done in a similar enough situation) and I might accept that you have a valid theory. If this is going down the scientific path it's down to you to prove it or at least show that the theory has legs.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 21st February 2019 at 12:08..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 12:25   #102
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Still not proving your theory of high voltage spikes from a battery on connection/disconnection. Stating the formula, and saying how clever you are, doesn't make what you state as fact true. Where are the calculations to predict the size of the spike? (without which you don't even have a theory let alone proof). Where's the empirical evidence? (i.e. measurements of voltage spikes in the scenario being discussed).

I expect they follow the same manufacturing pattern as many (as in fact the company I work for does). The design and some samples will be tested at the HQ/Design/quality office/lab. But quality control for the majority will be at the production line in China. 'Very Different' is subjective I think. Brian will be able to tell you how different as he's actually disassembled one of the aldi chargers and compared.

I hardly think that's a relevant comparison, to compare these engines with electronics.

Pull the other one. You seem much more concerned with trying to baffle with alphabet soup and sound like you know what you are talking about than demonstrate that you actually do by experiment or calculation. Maybe you do, maybe I'm wrong: but I've only ready abstract theories so far based on some quite broad assumptions and one formula. Go and do the predictive calculations (or go one better and find if they've already been done in a similar enough situation) and I might accept that you have a valid theory. If this is going down the scientific path it's down to you to prove it or at least show that the theory has legs.
I generally try not to make posts personal. I have noted that you, like a few others here, do. This is indicative of your lack of ability to counter others' posts based on facts understanding.

If you read back, you will note that I stated where I would/would not use one of these cheap chargers based on personal experience and views. I also highlighted a failure in my current Lidl charger. You by comparison stated " I have one of the Aldi CTEK copies which are amazing for the price". There is no evidence whatsoever that these chargers are copies of CTEK devices. This is pure misinformation which one presumes is intended to imply a level of sophistication and quality by association. I have actually done a strip down of my CTEK, Optimate and the Lidl chargers and there is no commonality between the Lidl chargers and the others whatsoever.

You had stated that our cars do not have any large inductors other than other than the alternator. This of course is absolute rubbish as I listed a whole host of inductive components in the car. With the formula, what I showed was that you do not actually need large inductors as the rate of change of current also determines the amplitude of the induced transient. You, with your claimed knowledge, should be able to comprehend this.

FYI - I generally try not to respond to your posts because of the aforementioned characteristic and will be trying even harder henceforth. Not worthy of my time or effort.

Last edited by MSS; 21st February 2019 at 12:49..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 15:03   #103
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
I generally try not to make posts personal. I have noted that you, like a few others here, do. This is indicative of your lack of ability to counter others' posts based on facts understanding.

If you read back, you will note that I stated where I would/would not use one of these cheap chargers based on personal experience and views. I also highlighted a failure in my current Lidl charger. You by comparison stated " I have one of the Aldi CTEK copies which are amazing for the price". There is no evidence whatsoever that these chargers are copies of CTEK devices. This is pure misinformation which one presumes is intended to imply a level of sophistication and quality by association. I have actually done a strip down of my CTEK, Optimate and the Lidl chargers and there is no commonality between the Lidl chargers and the others whatsoever.

You had stated that our cars do not have any large inductors other than other than the alternator. This of course is absolute rubbish as I listed a whole host of inductive components in the car. With the formula, what I showed was that you do not actually need large inductors as the rate of change of current also determines the amplitude of the induced transient. You, with your claimed knowledge, should be able to comprehend this.

FYI - I generally try not to respond to your posts because of the aforementioned characteristic and will be trying even harder henceforth. Not worthy of my time or effort.

And all I did was accept that I'm open to being proven wrong if you could substantiate your assertion on voltage spikes with a bit more than a quoting a formula, Apparently not.

I never claimed to fail to understand your theory (OK, once, in jest). Just that I fail to come to the same conclusion from what you've presented.

As for getting personal: I can only comment on what I read (what you write) and call out any apparent contradictions as I see them. My comprehension or otherwise of your theory does nothing to substantiate it or prove that it's correct (or false). I don't comment to bait or flame, but rather to encourage you to express and prove (substantiate) your theory in a way that the wider readership could understand. If you don't want to do that, that's your right: in which case though my previous comment still stands: that you prefer to baffle with alphabet soup and sound like you know what you are talking about than demonstrate that you actually do by experiment or calculation. Remember that a theory is proven by.... proof, not lack of negation....

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 18:30   #104
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
And all I did was accept that I'm open to being proven wrong if you could substantiate your assertion on voltage spikes with a bit more than a quoting a formula, Apparently not.

I never claimed to fail to understand your theory (OK, once, in jest). Just that I fail to come to the same conclusion from what you've presented.

As for getting personal: I can only comment on what I read (what you write) and call out any apparent contradictions as I see them. My comprehension or otherwise of your theory does nothing to substantiate it or prove that it's correct (or false). I don't comment to bait or flame, but rather to encourage you to express and prove (substantiate) your theory in a way that the wider readership could understand. If you don't want to do that, that's your right: in which case though my previous comment still stands: that you prefer to baffle with alphabet soup and sound like you know what you are talking about than demonstrate that you actually do by experiment or calculation. Remember that a theory is proven by.... proof, not lack of negation....
You still fail to understand that I have no need to substantiate or prove anything to you. To think otherwise is a sign of total ignorance on you part. To pass judgement on a fellow member, if you cannot understand their points of view, lacks decorum and basically is an indication of idiotic arrogance.

If you believe that what I say is incorrect, you need to state why and if you feel so inclined, back it up with science/theory. The fact that the formula I wrote applies to transient generation from inductive loads would be understood by any AS-level physics student with any understanding of basic electromagnetic principles. The fact that you equated the formula to "spinning magnetic field" told me all that I needed to know of your understanding of the field.

What you had stated was that other than the alternator, there were no large inductors (meaning capable of generating transients) in our cars. I listed a whole host that are present in all cars.

You may care to study the following application note from Harris Semiconductor - people who design and manufacture transient suppressors for automotive applications - and note item 4 in the table on page 2, i.e.

< 320μs Inductive-load Switching transient <1J -300v to +8-V often

http://www.industrologic.com/autotransients.pdf

What formula do you think applies when these are generated?

If you wish, please state why you believe that the formula I stated does not apply as I stated, which was that it shows the amplitude of the generated transient is dependent on the rate of change of current (the dI/dt term) and the inductance does not have to be very large to to generate a large transient voltage.

Even better, why don't you suggest a formula yourself? This should be easy for you given your extensive knowledge.

I will leave it there, so that you can have the last post.

I will say that when you don't understand something, a little less of the idiotic arrogance will go a long way!

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2019 at 06:40..
Old 21st February 2019, 20:03   #105
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
The CTEK chargers are designed and tested/qualified in Sweden. They are manufactured in China to CTEK quality specifications..

This is a similar model to that used by a number of other recognised quality manufacturers.

The model is very different to the generic items, sold under many names, whose "design, test and qualification" is often carried under very different business ethics.

I, like many other modellers (mostly in the US) spent a number of years playing with far eastern petrol model aircraft engines which had the same form (but not the functionality!) as US/Japanese engines. You kept seeing the same engines being sold under different names and were in the most part completely rubbish. These would often last 3-6 months of flying whereas a Zenoah will easily last 10-20 years. Fortunately, I have my stockpile of new Zenoah's in the cupboard.

Ultimately, it is all to do with business ethics.

I found this yesterday - make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg4ximDrsk
I'm a 'die hard' OS fan tbh, never ever had any problems with any of the aero motors I've had.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 20:38   #106
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Post No. 1 - Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
I have just bought a battery charger from Aldi for £12.99. Auto XS with micro processor control.
Anybody know if it is suitable for AGM batteries?
Cheers.

Post No. 5 - Answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Page 9 states:

"............It is suitable for charging and trickle-
charging the following rechargeable 6 V or 12 V lead batteries
containing an electrolyte solution or gel as well as AGM batteries,
which are used in motor vehicles:"
So what is the other 100 odd posts about?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 20:44   #107
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
I'm a 'die hard' OS fan tbh, never ever had any problems with any of the aero motors I've had.
You, sir, have class and excellent taste.

Some may even call you an aero engine snob!

Likewise, I am OS, Saito and Laser man. IMHO all three are masterpieces of engineering.

My post was in relation to petrol engines before OS and Saito brought out their petrol ranges a few years ago. Hence the mention of Zenoah.

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2019 at 06:43..
Old 21st February 2019, 20:50   #108
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Post No. 1 - Question

Post No. 5 - Answer

Only the Sith deal in absolute YES/NO answers (Ref. Master Yoda in Attack of the Clones)
Old 21st February 2019, 20:56   #109
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Post No. 1 - Question

Post No. 5 - Answer

It is simply a sounding board for other non related tool snobbery and twaddle Bob.

I've a cheap charger, and it works for me, and even if it didn't, I'm more than able to rectify any unforeseen problems.

Having said that, I've no problem in recommending the use of the one I own, as it has been trouble free, including for the purpose of charging AGM batteries.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 20:56   #110
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Likewise, I am OS, Saito and Laser fan. IMHO they are masterpieces of engineering.

My post was in relation to petrol engines before OS and Saito brought out their petrol ranges. Hence the mention of Zenoah.
Totally irrelevant to this thread I know but I still have a 'COX' 0.49 glow motor I bought in 1975, it's done hundreds of hours over many many years in many different aircraft and still buzzes like a mad thing. lol.
Sorry to the OP for this pointless post. i'll shut up now.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote