Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2019, 10:07   #1
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Engine check

Hi,
yesterday evening my engine check warning light suddenly lit up while I was driving home. First reaction was 'what's wrong?' I recently had my car checked, serviced and a new timing belt installed, so that couldn't be it. Then it occurred to me that the service timer had not been reset; only a couple of minutes before it had shown 50, so only 50 km or less before service. Then I felt a bit reassured, thinking that this was the car's message that the service timing had expired.
This morning I hooked my car up to TOAF to see if I could reset the service timer, but I couldn't find where this can be done (CAN it be done using TOAF?). After scanning the car, TOAF came up with some engine faults, among which was soemthing to do with emission problems - something my owner's manual says is a reason for the engine check warning light to light up - and a misfire in cylinder 2 - something my car has been checked for a number of times (new coils, new spark plugs), but it keeps coming back.
I realise I have posted quite a number of questions here (resetting service timer, use of TOAF in this, finding the cause for the engine misfire and how to solve it), but most importantly is the question: can I continue driving if the warning light comes on again?
I hope you can help me with my questions. I love driving my 75; it's one of the best cars I've had. Thanks.
Greccehus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 11:04   #2
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

i purchased a engine service tool off e bay for 15 quid u just plug it into the socket under the drivers side put ignition on hold the button on the machine for 15 seconds and its done and it works !! rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 11:13   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 14:30   #4
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

This is to reset the service timer? Thanks, I think I found one.
I just drove again; engine check light is off. So it seems the TOAF did its job as well. What about the misfire? Any suggestions on that (if happens again?)
Old 19th January 2019, 15:04   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greccehus1 View Post
This is to reset the service timer? Thanks, I think I found one.
I just drove again; engine check light is off. So it seems the TOAF did its job as well. What about the misfire? Any suggestions on that (if happens again?)
Misfire on a 1.8 is usually down to a leaking inlet manifold gasket
Old 19th January 2019, 16:23   #6
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I had that fixed in August. Do you think this might have been an 'old' fault that showed up on my TOAF? I don't think I used TOAF after the gasket was replaced and before I wanted to reset my timer.
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:23   #7
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Okay, so I took my car to the garage and the mechanic showed me that sparks travelled from the cyl1 coil to the top of the engine. Leaking coil he said and after he had replaced it there were no more Sparks. TOAF read out showed no misfires anymore. Happy days.
Thing is I replaced the coils for new ones about a year ago. Is it normal that they break easily or could it have been just a bad one?
Also, I bought the service tool as shown earlier in this thread, hooked it up and didn't see a difference after. I tried the 15 sec method you mentioned markypicks, but no reset. Then I read the instructions that were available on the e-bay page I bought the item from, did what they said (the tool does indeed show a little disco after pressing a button) and no reset. Mnd you, I only tried the yellow button. Pressing one of the other buttons while in 'disco'-mode didn't make a difference. Maybe I should try disconnecting it - reconnecting it and pressing the second button and then if nothing happens disconnecting again - reconnecting and pressing the third?
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:26   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greccehus1 View Post
Okay, so I took my car to the garage and the mechanic showed me that sparks travelled from the cyl1 coil to the top of the engine. Leaking coil he said and after he had replaced it there were no more Sparks. TOAF read out showed no misfires anymore. Happy days.
Thing is I replaced the coils for new ones about a year ago. Is it normal that they break easily or could it have been just a bad one?
Also, I bought the service tool as shown earlier in this thread, hooked it up and didn't see a difference after. I tried the 15 sec method you mentioned markypicks, but no reset. Then I read the instructions that were available on the e-bay page I bought the item from, did what they said (the tool does indeed show a little disco after pressing a button) and no reset. Mnd you, I only tried the yellow button. Pressing one of the other buttons while in 'disco'-mode didn't make a difference. Maybe I should try disconnecting it - reconnecting it and pressing the second button and then if nothing happens disconnecting again - reconnecting and pressing the third?
After you've pressed the reset button, turn the ignition off, then back on again & the service should be reset
Old 6th February 2019, 15:18   #9
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

One week later and the engine check light is on again. TOAF shows me P1316 and misfire in cyl2 again. I haven't had time to check if the coil is leaking again, but I'm not very amused by the situation. Buying new coils every week is not what I'm after. Tomorrow I'll check the spark plugs and perhaps I can see if there's sparks flying from the coil to the top of het engine again.
It's been quite wet lately. Could this have a connection? What else can I do to find out what's causing this (it's very annoying: up till three weeks ago it never happened).
Old 20th February 2019, 15:22   #10
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

A couple of weeks ago my engine check light lit up for the first time. No it's on a twice-a-week basis. Like I mentioned before I went to the garage and had one coil replaced. Spark plugs are new and last Saturday I tried if Wynn's injection cleaner would make any difference after it lit up again, showing a P1316 and kept repeating a P1300 on TOAF. Drove it for 300 km's -running fine and consumption seemed te have gone down a bit (12.7 to 13.2 km/l) and this morning surprise! it lit up again. TOAF shows P1300. I have no idea what to do next.