Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2017, 07:58   #1
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts
Default MG3 Underbody corrosion

Hi.
On another thread I commented that Emma's MG3 was getting serviced at an independent. It was a garage recommended by my son, I got a call in the early afternoon while in Halfords and they asked me to look in.
Well the reason was to show me the extent of rust on the front subframe, front and back suspension. It looks like the finish, power coat or paint has literally not adhered to the metal. The rust is extensive. It's not eaten right in by any means but some parts are fairly thin gauge. It's going to be looked at by MG but if this is common I don't see them having a particularly long life.
This car is BT registered and has never lived at the sea so salt damage has to be ruled out.
The independent garage said they would clean up the rust, and use bilt hamber products to neutralize and protect the parts if MG don't come good.
Old 11th August 2017, 08:58   #2
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

I had hoped that the MGs wouldn't suffer from Chinese moped syndrome but it looks like they might
I honestly think that the reputation of Chinese products for being shoddy rubbish is the main reason for the poor sales of MGs built there.
Most of their mopeds don't make it to the first MOT before being scrapped due to terminal tinworm!!

It was looking like the MGs were the exception to the rule, Lets hope this is a one off and not a characteristic of the brand!
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 09:02   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

This is a common problem with most manufacturers nowadays, the underside components are simply not coated sufficiently to protect them from rust.

This week I was tidying up my sons Mercedes CLK and I noticed the rear subframe and components are encrusted with rust.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 09:49   #4
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

It would have gone like this at SA..

Meeting to discuss under body coating.

Present: 30 Chinese SA guys and perhaps the odd rover guys.

Decision to put 3 microns of coating on, saving 10 rmb per car..

Job done retire for huge banquet dinner...Gambai
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 11:53   #5
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
This is a common problem with most manufacturers nowadays, the underside components are simply not coated sufficiently to protect them from rust.

This week I was tidying up my sons Mercedes CLK and I noticed the rear subframe and components are encrusted with rust.
Em I'm not so sure.
The Panda is a year older and has 7000 more miles under it's belt, plus lived in Stevenston for 2 & 1/2 years Jim. Other than a tiny bit of rust at the weld from the rear beam to the torsion arm it is rust free.
Mercedes still have rust issues on suspension areas, why are these areas not galvanised is a mystery.
I have though Waxoyled the Panda throughout as a precaution.

On a different note the young salesman in Brysons MG told me that sales are poor, the lack of advertising doesn't help and a few horror stories are coming to light, namely clutch issues and timing chains stretching and jumping teeth, MG customer service is hopeless with letters, calls and Emails ignored, at this rate they will disappear and owners will get nothing for their cars.

Last edited by murphyv310; 11th August 2017 at 11:59..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 20:18   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Hi.
On a slightly different note, after a lengthy discussion with an MG dealer service manager that I know from my previous job. I was told off the record that three things are problems. Timing chains stretching, MG blames customers for lack of timely services, he believes that its nonsense, clutches that last 30,000 miles if your lucky because they are toffee and no proper under body protection.
I am so mad as these cars were to be done right with UK input. We have already seen MG making jobs go here and it now looks like it's just Chinese tat.
I feel for my daughter landing up with a car that may not last the pace.
My old Skoda cars were better engineered.

Open the oil cap and look at the chain..... It's a joke. It needs a proper duplex chain of the same pitch BMW used in the neu classe 1500, through the 2002 to the E30 and what Skoda used in the 1000mb to the last Skoda powered Fabia.

Last edited by murphyv310; 11th August 2017 at 20:30..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 22:45   #7
BRMFUN
Avid contributor

MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
I had hoped that the MGs wouldn't suffer from Chinese moped syndrome but it looks like they might
I honestly think that the reputation of Chinese products for being shoddy rubbish is the main reason for the poor sales of MGs built there.
Most of their mopeds don't make it to the first MOT before being scrapped due to terminal tinworm!!

It was looking like the MGs were the exception to the rule, Lets hope this is a one off and not a characteristic of the brand!

I almost part ex my old ZTT for an early MG 6 but upon looking under it and closely at the interior, I knew a later ZT/75 would be much better build quality and it appears I was right.

Too many cars too little time
BRMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 12:34   #8
e668ecp

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post

Not just MG's. My Evoque has had the fuel tank cover replaced at just under 5years.. it was totally rotten. LR said it wasn't covered
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 14:21   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

At this rate I see the sales of Waxoyl going up!!!
Old 13th August 2017, 08:05   #10
e668ecp

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by e668ecp View Post
Not just MG's. My Evoque has had the fuel tank cover replaced at just under 5years.. it was totally rotten. LR said it wasn't covered
The new cover is totally different and not made out the cheap steal that the other was. Looks like ALL manufacturers are cutting costs. I saw a new Mercedes C class with vinyl seats the other day... the owner claimed they were leather until I got up an Autocar article which confirmed them as vinyl
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote