Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2019, 00:20   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Which front drop links?

I'm in need of a new set as it still knocks over bumps, even after changing the front wishbone bushes.
When looking yesterday I noticed water coming out of the top gaiter.

I've seen so much on the forum about aftermarket, cheaper and branded links not lasting I'm not sure about to which to get, so any opinions which is the best bet?

Rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RBM100241 £33 genuine Rover,
or after market https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RBM100241P £15? I believe these are 12 months warranty.

Or DMGRS

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...inks-rbm100240 £28.50 OEM MG rover,
or cheaper version https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...inks-rbm100240 at £17.50
Both have a 2 year warranty, with matt's no quibble replacement?

Also the 4 year warranty £37 Longbridge links, but with the crankshaft pulley to do, I've got to check the budget a bit.

Also seen https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-ROVER...D/161920119047 with a 4 year warranty although again a bit dearer at £33?

Anybody with experience of any of these. I'm thinking DMGRS cheaper version as they have a 2 year warranty same as the dearer ones.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 08:57   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have had very good experience with Delphi supplied by Mister Auto. The first set only developed a slight play after 4 years and 40k+ miles. The second set has now been on for 2 years.

I have purchased a set of Meyle HD which carry a 4-year warranty. These will sit in the cupboard until needed.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:07   #3
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

I have fitted a pair of Delphi ones and they both failed within 12months ��
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:15   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This does raise the question of what factors are at play with our cars' suspensions and the whether non-genuine components may be in circulation.

Mine just do not experience the failures that others seem to experience with these components. Admittedly, my car had all the key suspension components replaced a few years ago.

I am not suggesting anything, just thinking aloud!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:25   #5
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

I went for the Meyle ones with the 4 year warranty when I had the whole front suspension renewed about six months ago. Still early days, obviously, but I was impressed with the apparent quality of manufacture - they looked very solid and well made.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:26   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
This does raise the question of what factors are at play with our cars' suspensions and the whether non-genuine components may be in circulation.

Mine just do not experience the failures that others seem to experience with these components. Admittedly, my car had all the key suspension components replaced a few years ago.

I am not suggesting anything, just thinking aloud!
Drop links fail when fitted incorrectly, as well as when poor quality ones are fitted.

I've fitted the cheapest of the cheap, with a dollop of grease worked into the joint prior to them being mounted on the car.

Same ones are there five years and many many thousands of miles later.

I was speaking earlier in the week to someone who'd had Delphi drop links fitted earlier this year, yes that's this year.

And they were knackered as a result of the small end of the boot being displaced by the spanner holding the flats of the ball joint while the nut was being fastened up.

How many "failed" drop links are as a result of similar incorrect fitting technique I wonder

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:28   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

It does not matter which type you buy, make sure you load the boots round the joints with grease, and work them by hand for a couple of minutes. Castrol CL grease is what I use.
Old 21st February 2019, 13:29   #8
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

I now have one firstline fitted which has lasted 2years and one dmgrs Mg rover oem which has been on 12months so far with no issues. Previously tried febi which failed at 18 months.
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:30   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
It does not matter which type you buy, make sure you load the boots round the joints with grease, and work them by hand for a couple of minutes. Castrol CL grease is what I use.
And with that advice taken on board, try a pair of these for cheapness

LINK

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 13:41   #10
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Drop links fail when fitted incorrectly, as well as when poor quality ones are fitted.

I've fitted the cheapest of the cheap, with a dollop of grease worked into the joint prior to them being mounted on the car.

Same ones are there five years and many many thousands of miles later.

I was speaking earlier in the week to someone who'd had Delphi drop links fitted earlier this year, yes that's this year.

And they were knackered as a result of the small end of the boot being displaced by the spanner holding the flats of the ball joint while the nut was being fastened up.

How many "failed" drop links are as a result of similar incorrect fitting technique I wonder

Brian
A cone spanner is the key for these.