Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2019, 19:37   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default MGR vs Germany

Reading Johns post on the Aldi charger thread got me thinking I’d share my findings on my vehicles over the past few years. Current stable has a 2004 ZT-T, a 2004 BMW and. 2001 Audi. I’ve also had a couple of other ZT’s a 75 and a 2001 VW here in recent years.

All have been reasonably reliable bar the K series equipped ZT. Diesels have had issues with MAF, fuel pumps and one had an aux belt snap. The Germans have been reliable, same MAF issue on the Beemer, both VAG cars have had no issues. Both MGR and the VW had springs snap.

The MGR cars appear more prone to rusting in my experience, though the Beemer has a little surface rust starting on the front arches and this is a car that has been garaged from new until we got it last year. The VW also had a spot starting on the wing but nothing like the MGR jacking point/sill issues on a couple of my cars. The paint on the Audi seems to be superior or applied thicker than any of the others.

I’ve had most of the trim off in these cars running cables etc and think the Audi is put together better than the others with the ZT being as good as the VW and BMW.

Doesn’t seem to be much difference in parts prices to service these cars, the Beemer and ZT do about the same mpg, the Audi is worse as I use 99ron unleaded in it and am at sub 30mpg. Tyres all similarly priced etc. etc. So nothing in it.

I prefer the look of the ZT interior to the Beemer but love the Audi inside. All are full leather and the ZT is showing most wear but has the highest mileage! I’m afraid both Germans drive better than the ZT.

Saying all that above my ZT-T is a diesel auto facelift so has no clutch issues, no underbonnet pump and the more reliable in tank pump. It will carry on as my daily and will be with me until the scrap man calls a few years down the line. With the prices where they are now it’s such cheap motoring.

What are everyone else’s opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 20:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I drive a verity of cars. All in many ways are better then my car. More power, better road holding, faster, more/better mod cons, smoother, quieter but and its a big but, they don't excite me.

Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned but I want a prestige/executive car to have an interior to match its status. Alas most are the same... black in side. I'm a "cream" and "walnut" man

Rolls Royce and Bentley have chrome and wood inside, the rest sadly lack an executive interior, Range Rover included.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 20:36   #3
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

I've started to hear more and more about rust problems on 75's and ZT's. Obviously, it's to be expected with the age of the car, but luckily mine looks brand new on the underside. I think i'm probably going to start taking preventative measures to stop any rust appearing in the future, and also refrain from taking it on gritted roads. In terms of German cars, My dad's VW Golf Mk5 which is from 2008 has an advisory for rust on the underside, whilst my 75 looks new.

As for build quality, they're pretty similar. The 75 leaks like a sieve whilst the golf is watertight though, and the appearance of the 75's interior is leagues ahead, no boring grey and silver trim like so many German cars.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 20:57   #4
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I speak to many many mechanics and the R75 is dog do da in their eyes. Your Audis VW and BMW have problems but ours are off the road within 10 years if lucky. We as enthusiasts keep tinkering about asking questions in here etc and there is plenty of posts fixing hundreds of problems etc.
We are great lovers of the car as it has 1000 times more character than all of them put together.
Enjoy your car but please don’t be fooled into to thinking they are a luxury or prestige car.
A superb cheap bang for bucks car with plenty of character and a pleasure to drive but BMW cut the Rover cloth accordingly that’s why our cars were cheap when a few years old.
The classic cars now seemed as classics were mainly rusty slow rust buckets but the R75 was a car head and shoulders above the Vectra Mondeo Laguna but was seen as an old mans car.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 21:03   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Enjoy your car but please don’t be fooled into to thinking they are a luxury or prestige car.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. The Rover has unique character and delivers a sense of nostalgia. It provides a good balance between comfort and drivability.

But, the Vauxhall Omega was a far better built car of the time.

The 75 was a C-class/A4/3-series competitor. The E-class of the time was a luxury car!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:55   #6
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
.............. The E-class of the time was a luxury car!
I must splash out and get one of these superb cars.
I would go for the upmarket “Elegance” version.

Although, it would have to be in good nick like this one:

I would prefer this, rather than the one that I regularly see on the school run, which is about the same age as my oldest Rover 75.

Apart from the usual door and wheel arch corrosion it has a rust hole in the front wing (usual as well). It is so big I could put my fist through it.

Sheer luxury!

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:07   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I must splash out and get one of these superb cars.
I would go for the upmarket “Elegance” version.

Although, it would have to be in good nick like this one:

I would prefer this, rather than the one that I regularly see on the school run, which is about the same age as my oldest Rover 75.

Apart from the usual door and wheel arch corrosion it has a rust hole in the front wing (usual as well). It is so big I could put my fist through it.

Sheer luxury!

Luxury car drivers don't have to worry about such things. They pass their old rusty cars, before they start rusting, to us peasants!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote