Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2019, 23:07   #21
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
Brian,
Excuse my ignorance but does it make any difference in an auto?
Andy
Hi Andy, on an automatic EOBD compliant car fitted with a boost temperature sensor in the top intercooler hose, unplugging the EGR will result in an illuminated MIL lamp.

On a manual car, this does not occur, nor does it occur with a non EOBD compliant automatic.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 23:10   #22
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
JB Weld is very strong, I once modified a pinto cylinder heads inlet tracts (Apple shaped ports) Using the stuff, if it holds in a cylinder head, it will hold inside the EGR.
I have modified a few pinto heads with the use of the David Vizard bible, that guy is a total legend.
Always removed metal rather than adding it so never got the chance to try anything like JB weld for re-shaping / flowing the ports due to the relatively low states of tune I was going for.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 23:13   #23
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Keep life simple...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-...BkF:rk:10:pf:0

There is enough faffing with these cruddy old rotboxes, don't give yourself more work than necessary.[/QUOTE
]

Ross.
As stated above some of us mad men like faffing, tinkering, it helps our thumb twiddling habits also the original looks better again my opinion only, rework a part if you can it as to be better what would you do with your old EGR ? bin it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17680.jpg (133.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17681.jpg (124.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SDC18117.jpg (135.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg SDC18131.jpg (137.1 KB, 19 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 23:29   #24
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Excellent point, I was once asked why I had manufactured a pair of sealing washers for the rear quarter waist trims.

The answer to that was........because I could, and I enjoyed myself doing so.

In terms of the EGR, the pushrod doesn't create any sort of meaningful difference to the airflow figures, so simply disable the operation to prevent the EGR and inlet tract becoming sooted up once it's been cleaned

Brian
Hi Brian, thanks again for your input, I got more interested / involved with the original egr modding subject having read somewhere that the internal valve gubbins was representing roughly a 40% loss in air flow !? not sure what real term effects this would have as the rest of the inlet tract takes a pretty torturous route and flow would no doubt be ruined long before it gets to the combustion chamber.
Sure ... it would be a doddle to replace with a delete kit but as stated earlier I was concerned about the impending mot hence the original post, but since it was pointed out that the egr is pretty much hidden from view by the engine cover it became less of a problem, so modifying the original became more of a project rather than a necessity. so ... based on what all of you have advised, I think i'll unplug and gut the egr and smooth bore it
i'll try the unplugging bit first thing tomorrow and see if I can feel any difference on the way to work.
Cheers.
Old 21st February 2019, 23:41   #25
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
JB Weld is very strong, I once modified a pinto cylinder heads inlet tracts (Apple shaped ports) Using the stuff, if it holds in a cylinder head, it will hold inside the EGR.
Cheers Trikey, nice to have it confirmed, the JB weld will be used to smooth the bore of the egr after removing all the obstructions, will more than likely aid the flow a little despite the tortuous route the flow has to take before combustion, I don't think the diesel manifold or inlet tract was ever designed for maximum flow rates at any given rpm or valve lift eh!
It'll be interesting doing it though and tbh... I can't envisage any downsides or problems with the mod.
Cheers mate.
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:30   #26
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Mines got an EGR bypass in stainless steel with silicone pipes, not fitted by me but MOT Tester only showed interest last year (due to the MOT changes) this year it was ignored.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote