Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th August 2020, 08:27   #1
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Default Another broken down 1.8.t

Mine is currently residing in Tescos carpark after shopping yesterday I reversed out of the parking bay and the engine cut out (thought I may have stalled it) tried to resart but it will just turn over with no attempt to fire up. I can hear the pump initialise but the check engine warning light is illuminated now. Torque is showing no fault codes. I have left it with the battery disconnected and will pop back later with a few tools to check the in tank filter ( no, it does not have a clip fitted). Is it obvious looking at the filter if it's detached or is it a strip down job? cheers.
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 09:59   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by picky747 View Post
Is it obvious looking at the filter if it's detached or is it a strip down job?
Those with experience of this say that you simply attempt to tighten the two sections of casing and you'll know if it has loosened. Taking the filter to pieces is not recommended in the first instance since it's apparently very difficult to reassemble without distorting the seal.

I wouldn't expect to see the 'check engine' light after fuel filter separation. It could be the crankshaft sensor or it's wiring which Trikey has recently advised is susceptible to heat damage due to its routing, details are here.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th August 2020 at 10:03..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 13:55   #3
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Been back to the car with my laptop and toaf will not connect to any of the units and now the battery has died so going back later to rescue the battery and bring it home for a full nights charge.Tried to find the crankshaft sensor and couldn't see it anywhere so if anyone can point me to where I should be looking I would be most grateful, google has not been much help with this.Thanks.
Old 8th August 2020, 14:26   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Tried to find the crankshaft sensor and couldn't see it anywhere so if anyone can point me to where I should be looking
Before doing that, observe the engine rev counter while cranking the engine with the ignition key. If the crankshaft sensor is kaput, the rev counter needle won't move. However, if you see an obvious response when cranking, the sensor is, err, sensing.

If you need to get at the crankshaft sensor, Mr Haynes advises as follows: The crankshaft position sensor is mounted at the front of the transmission bellhousing (at the left hand end of the engine) To improve access, apply the handbrake then jack up the LH front wheel, support on axle stands

Hope this helps.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 8th August 2020 at 14:28..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2020, 08:33   #5
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Been back with a full battery and tried cranking again but still no luck, video of rev counter when cranking below. I suppose this rules out the crank sensor as there is slight movement.All locked up now so looks like its a recovery to my local garage on Monday.

https://i.imgur.com/I5ksFMR.mp4
Old 9th August 2020, 10:13   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

The crankshaft sensor is OK. I'd suggest checking the fuel filter if you haven't already done so. The check engine warning could simply indicate a misfire due to a poor fuel supply and shouldn't overide a physical check. If you don't have the orange clip in place, fit one anyway. What you describe is Classic FFS, historically the No1 cause of sudden non-starting in later petrol models.

TC
Old 9th August 2020, 16:59   #7
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
What you describe is Classic FFS, historically the No1 cause of sudden non-starting in later petrol models.

TC
T-Cut is on the money once again! Waited till the shops closed at 4 and went back to remove the filter and as I lifted it out I could see a large gap between the two halves.Screwed it back up tight and replaced then reconnected the battery. Only took about 5 seconds of cranking and she fired up to my relief
Thanks for all your help and an orange clip is on order.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:48   #8
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Time for part two.Yesterday car drove home fine,no problems.Today came to start the car and it wouldn't fire up, it coughed a couple of times then just cranked without firing. I've checked the filter again and that's fine,I can hear the fuel pump initialise when I turn the key and the check engine light is back on. I removed the pipe from the top of the filter and when I turned the key petrol shot out so it seems that end of the system appears to work.Managed to connect toaf and it gave a fault code for the fuel pump relay but the pump seems to be working.What else should I be looking at now?thanks.
Old 10th August 2020, 14:38   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Graham,

Your detailed description is very helpful. The fuel pump operates in two stages:
  1. Priming for two seconds when the ignition is turned on.
  2. Continuous running when the engine is cranked (and after it fires).
These two stages are activated differently but the relay is common to both.

Could I ask you to remove the pipe from the top of the filter again but this time crank the engine. Do you still get a pressurised flow of fuel?

Simon
Old 10th August 2020, 15:03   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
What else should I be looking at now?
Retighten the filter unit and fit the Clip asap.

TC