Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th February 2018, 09:57   #11
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
They certainly give a strong presence on the roads, quite aggressive looking.
I've nearly bought a 300c on a few occasions, but after the Voyager and PT cruiser I've owned, I thought better of it.
But, if I came across a good one at the right price, I reckon I would say yes...

DorsetBob on here owns a 300C.

I also quite like the Chrysler Spitfire, some stylish classic styling for little money.
Did you mean Crossfire?
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:07   #12
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Did you mean Crossfire?
Lol , I did, sorry.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:09   #13
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

It does have that gangster look and more aggressive than a German saloon. It's a old Merc E Class underneath so I understand, rear wheel drive. However, the interior is a bit naff, plasticky and quite cheap looking.

I believe they stopped making it in 2014 and when FIAT bought Chrysler they were selling it as a Lancia Thema in EU. You guys in UK still had it as a Chrysler.

jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:47   #14
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

The 300C is a brilliant car, both to drive and to look at. I ran a 5.7 Hemi Tourer for several years, and loved every minute of ownership. More power and torque than you could ever need, always immediately on tap.....it just made you laugh every time you pressed the throttle. The Hemi is also relatively economical to run, due to the engine design that shuts down four cylinders when cruising using electronically controlled solenoids in the valve train; thus it cruises as a four cylinder, with the other four kicking in once needed. I easily achieved 26 to 27 mpg in general use, which is pretty good considering the engine size and performance.

I only sold the car when I retired, as I couldn't justify the £550 or so road tax on a car I was using very much less than when I was working. Otherwise I would certainly have kept it.

My only criticisms would be the interior...a bit too 'plasticky', and the 'estate' function limited by a narrow load space as compared to other more useful estate cars. As a driving car though, it was fantastic...and incredible value for money given the performance.

Now I have 2 75 Tourers, both 1.8s; one NA and one Turbo. I love these cars too, and they are very much under appreciated and undervalued. They are practical, economical, enjoyably comfortable, refined, and ridiculously great value for money if you can resolve the issues we are all familiar with. ( And they are easily remedied in practice ). The Turbo in particular is actually a real drivers car that really will 'go'if you want it to. They also have more of a 'classic; feel than most other cars, and this is part of what makes them attractive to me. They offer a lot of pleasure and refinement for little real outlay.

But if you fancy a 300C you won't be disappointed...especially if you go for a Hemi. In practice the Hemi is pretty much as economical as the V6, and I believe that both the V6 and the Diesel versionjs cost the same to tax, so you might as well have the fun of the Hemi version. Still incredible value for money if you can find a good one.......

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:55   #15
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

I've a big soft spot for the 300C but it would have to be the SRT8 for that glorious Mopar roar (plus the better, less beige interior).

I've no shame in admitting that I'd 'murder it out' too hehe.

Road tax is a bummer though.
Old 8th February 2018, 12:22   #16
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejaytee View Post
But if you fancy a 300C you won't be disappointed...especially if you go for a Hemi. In practice the Hemi is pretty much as economical as the V6, and I believe that both the V6 and the Diesel versionjs cost the same to tax, so you might as well have the fun of the Hemi version. Still incredible value for money if you can find a good one.......
Some snuck in late 05- early 06 which miss it - mine does. I'd have gone for the V8 but as above early hemis could drop valves when heated and the cylinder deactivation can be slightly trickier for gas installers - not much though. The above dragged the value of the V6 down (it does have a cambelt also but a real dream to change) and is a design going back to late 80s so for the money I couldn't refuse so don't let that detract. One thing - Chrysler seem to send out numerous ECU updates so you will realistically need to find a dealer (alongside the takata recall replacements).

Mine desperately needed the software update as it would shudder at a specific temperature for a split second during warm up 3.5 specific issue.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote