Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd December 2017, 21:49   #21
Tam
Posted a thing or two

05 ZT+, 04 ZT+, 64 P6 2.0, 74 P6 V8s, 75 P6 V8, 92 214Si, 04 25 Td, 02 Defend , 05 ZR 105+ x2

Going to put this in for an MOT this week so will see if its any good!
Last year I drove from Dundee to Wales and back in this all in one go with a short stop to drop off Kev (KBonney88). Punishing trip but the 25 was comfortable enough and plenty fast enough for the trip. The L series is pretty easy to tune up and well catered for
Sunroofs leak and rust for fun though!!

Old 4th December 2017, 07:40   #22
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

I bought my MG ZR new in 2004, I still have it, appart from normal wear and tear items and one head gasket, NOTHING has ever failed on it.
They are brilliant, simple little cars.

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 11:10   #23
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
Hiya all Many thanks for your feed back on this.

I'm looking at other diesels as well, I'm not going too spend silly on one in the end of the days its just a works car and nothing more.

But trying too find a 25 diesel for sale, There not that many of them about, More 1.4 and 1.6 and 1.8 keep popping up.

Quote:
But hardly any diesels.
here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-220...cAAOSwridaDBXM

And for a little bit more money
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-53-R....c100009.m1982

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 13:54   #24
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

I had a MKI ZR TD for 5 years and it was a brilliant motor.

She was an absolute hoot to drive with the usual mods (mapped, decat, SDI injectors etc) combined with a bulletproof engine.

She suffered a chafed TPS sensor and the fuel pump ECU went in all that time. Cheap as chips motoring.

Highly recommend.
Old 4th December 2017, 20:20   #25
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

The L series is a pretty solid engine, with a few niggles (although what engine doesn't)

The 25 / ZR is a budget car so hard to compare against the 75/ZT. Wouldn't compare Fiesta against a Mondeo as they're just not for the same market.

If you're coming from a 75/ZT you'd probably be happier with the 45/ZS Chassis. Built to a slightly higher standard, bit more roomy, better seating position etc

MAF sensor issues are pretty common. Easily fixed though.

Mapping can be good for getting a boost out of these, as can SDi injectors but smoke is more visual on these as they don't run the more modern Common Rail system. So depends if you're wanting all she's got all a bit of extra pep

Cost wise, probably not alot in it for day to day driving. Repairs would ultimately be lower as the 25 Chassis is particular has very few components that fail and when they do are very cheap to replace.
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 20:59   #26
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

We had a 220SDi (forerunner to the 25 diesel) in the household a few years back, took it from 60k to just over 200k when it was still running well, but the fuel pump had just started to weep slightly and my other half fancied a change.

Brilliant little car which was generally trouble free, just watch out for the following:

a) Corrosion can occur in the water channel between the tailgate hinges, later cars had a wider bead of sealer to help reduce this.
b) Tailgate wiring tends to crack where it goes through the body-to-tailgate grommet. Breakage can cause immobiliser & alarm problems, so worth checking before it splits.
c) Sills can rust underneath where they join the floor, but can normally be repaired with no obvious signs externally (as low down).
d) These cars are now often showing corrosion around the wheelarches.
e) Available in various power outputs, not the smoothest by modern standards, but hey, you won't be paying £15k...
f) Had to replace the diff bearings at about 160k, but when removed, the clutch still had loads of life left (replaced it anyway though) and the gearbox went on without any further issues.

We would average 50mpg most of the time, later cars (25 & ZR) were tweaked to be more efficient.

I'd have another low mileage one tomorrow
Old 4th December 2017, 21:20   #27
wmick
Avid contributor

R75 Club Tourer CDT

I would say go for it, we had a 220 SDI which was more expensive to insure than the 75 but it was a real pocket rocket.
It split it's inlet hose on the way back from Orkney, a wheel bearing went, and it needed an exhaust,but it had 111000 miles on it when we bought it, and 186000 when we sold it 4 and a half years later.
Definitely cheap motoring.

Mick
wmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 14:31   #28
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
We had a 220SDi (forerunner to the 25 diesel) in the household a few years back, took it from 60k to just over 200k when it was still running well, but the fuel pump had just started to weep slightly and my other half fancied a change.

Brilliant little car which was generally trouble free, just watch out for the following:

a) Corrosion can occur in the water channel between the tailgate hinges, later cars had a wider bead of sealer to help reduce this.
b) Tailgate wiring tends to crack where it goes through the body-to-tailgate grommet. Breakage can cause immobiliser & alarm problems, so worth checking before it splits.
c) Sills can rust underneath where they join the floor, but can normally be repaired with no obvious signs externally (as low down).
d) These cars are now often showing corrosion around the wheelarches.
e) Available in various power outputs, not the smoothest by modern standards, but hey, you won't be paying £15k...
f) Had to replace the diff bearings at about 160k, but when removed, the clutch still had loads of life left (replaced it anyway though) and the gearbox went on without any further issues.

We would average 50mpg most of the time, later cars (25 & ZR) were tweaked to be more efficient.

I'd have another low mileage one tomorrow
What he said plus another comment regarding the 45 or ZS. Owned both of them and they really do make sense with extra room and great handling of the ZS. Again, it’s getting harder to find good ones now.
Old 6th December 2017, 15:56   #29
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

I've just bought this. Amazing little thing 6 speed box and pretty fun to drive. I needed something to get me to work and back and I'm happy with it. Skoda fabia vrs.

thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 18:39   #30
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie View Post
I've just bought this. Amazing little thing 6 speed box and pretty fun to drive. I needed something to get me to work and back and I'm happy with it. Skoda fabia vrs.

I’ve read/heard good reports about them and the Octavia VRS too.