Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th June 2014, 23:50   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
Virtual T4?
Yep, certainly is Mat

Phil is a very clever chap don't you agree

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 06:03   #12
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Now if the virtual T4 could be tailored so we just had the ability to do 'safe' things (like reset the service interval, and turn on/off standard factory options), that would be the doggies doodars!

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 12th June 2014, 06:53   #13
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

I guess the difference is we should be able to buy this at a reasonable cost, but I can't see the T4 guys releasing virtual T4 as it would de-value their own investments... Shame and I hope I am wrong one day.

Simon
Old 12th June 2014, 07:01   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
I guess the difference is we should be able to buy this at a reasonable cost, but I can't see the T4 guys releasing virtual T4 as it would de-value their own investments... Shame and I hope I am wrong one day.

Simon
Simon, Phil is planning a locked to VIN version for individuals wanting to diagnose their own car, and a limited multiple licence version for owners who have more than one car like yourself.

I have been trialing VT4 Beta myself, and I have to say it is very nice, very stable, and does what it says on the tin

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 09:33   #15
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Simon, Phil is planning a locked to VIN version for individuals wanting to diagnose their own car, and a limited multiple licence version for owners who have more than one car like yourself.

I have been trialing VT4 Beta myself, and I have to say it is very nice, very stable, and does what it says on the tin

Brian
Keeping my fingers crossed that is a very good solution
Old 12th June 2014, 09:54   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Simon, Phil is planning a locked to VIN version for individuals wanting to diagnose their own car, and a limited multiple licence version for owners who have more than one car like yourself. I have been trialing VT4 Beta myself, and I have to say it is very nice, very stable, and does what it says on the tin.
It sounds impressive, but are there any copyright issues or has this been already sorted? I and many others have had knuckles wrapped for merely discussing the RAVE CD, so exporting the T4 as a distributable virtual machine must be inviting excommunication. Are the user licences being sold by Xpart/Catapillar/Omicon or who? Will I be buying original software? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I need to know.

TC
Old 12th June 2014, 10:07   #17
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

For the record; the pscan.eu interface and software is 100% designed and developed by my company in the UK and is a 100% legal product.

There are no dependences on other software (other than an FTDI driver which is free).

You can even run it on a Linux or Mac OSX laptop if you prefer that over Windows.

The functionality might be fairly limited at the moment but if the demand is there then the functionality can and will be increased.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:19   #18
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Bring it on, I am in the market for a VT4, VIN locked or not
Old 12th June 2014, 11:51   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It sounds impressive, but are there any copyright issues or has this been already sorted? I and many others have had knuckles wrapped for merely discussing the RAVE CD, so exporting the T4 as a distributable virtual machine must be inviting excommunication. Are the user licences being sold by Xpart/Catapillar/Omicon or who? Will I be buying original software? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I need to know.

TC
Virtual T4 is a standalone software product in it's own right, solely developed by Phil-T4.

The front end interface at the moment is utilising standard RDS software, which of course as we both own standard T4 machines is perfectly legal and no infringement of copyright exists.

So the only "virtual" part, is the emulation of the electronic handshaking of the actual T4 interface, for which there are no copyright issues.

So there is nothing stopping you purchasing a legitimate copy of RDS 5.06, and DST0006V directly from Omitec, and running Phil's software and hardware in conjuction with it

On saying that, the finished product will have it's own custom front end interface

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 11:57   #20
Spôôk
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Conn. SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
I don't know the solution in question at all. But from a software distribution point it would be an infringement if whole or parts of the (original) software was copied and transferred to another client/user on a permanent basis ie. was able to run on that client machine.
However, if an individual piece of software installed on a client/user PC could transfer the "live" data to/from an OBD interface to a remote T4, I don't see how anybody could object as this would just be regarded as a virtual CABLE.
Offcourse someone might even write an entirely new program like the BMW 1.4x scanner software, sending data to a T4 - who knows. And that would not be an infringement either.

Preben

Ooops, Brian beat me to it.

Last edited by Spôôk; 12th June 2014 at 12:02..
Closed Thread