Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2018, 10:08   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Trade deal after Brexit

Why do we need to set up new trade deals for after Brexit? Why not leave them as they are?

I thought people voted for Brexit so we could set about making our own laws and now having laws "forced" on us.

macafee2
Old 7th March 2018, 10:49   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Why do we need to set up new trade deals for after Brexit? Why not leave them as they are?

I thought people voted for Brexit so we could set about making our own laws and now having laws "forced" on us.

macafee2
Because you can’t simply cross out EU and replace it with U.K. on the existing trade deals given to us via the EU - and as a member of the EU we were forbidden to set up individual trade deals with other countries and trading nations.

So we need to “renew” or “revamp” existing arrangements as well as seize the huge advantage of being able to organise our own trade deals rather than be hamstrung to what the EU says we can do.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:04   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Taxation, duties, and quotas exist which will need to be re-negotiated. We pay varied amount of duty dependent on the source of the product.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:18   #4
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I must admit I'm bored with arguing the rights and wrongs of everything I just wish someone would come up with a plan, tell us what it is and then GET ON WITH IT!

Obviously I realise no one actually has the ********s to do that
Old 7th March 2018, 12:03   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Taxation, duties, and quotas exist which will need to be re-negotiated. We pay varied amount of duty dependent on the source of the product.
One thing that we should benefit from post Brexit is being able to source food from across the world at far lower cost than we are forced to pay now via the EU’s CAP - common agricultural policy.

The EU’s agricultural tariffs are a whopping three times higher than the EU’s overall trade tariffs.

And the EU has stubbornly refused to bring agricultural tariffs down. This is a protectionist ploy to protect inefficient EU farmers.

I don’t like Trump - but I do wonder at the hypocrisy of some within the EU who shout “unfair” over his plan to apply tariffs to steel and aluminium when they have been doing exactly this themselves in the area of agriculture.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:05   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Because you can’t simply cross out EU and replace it with U.K. on the existing trade deals given to us via the EU - and as a member of the EU we were forbidden to set up individual trade deals with other countries and trading nations.

So we need to “renew” or “revamp” existing arrangements as well as seize the huge advantage of being able to organise our own trade deals rather than be hamstrung to what the EU says we can do.
if it is to our advantage I'm all for it but this seems to be dragging on and I hate to think of the cost..
I'll admit to being ignorant of these things.
What new advantages are expected to come with Brexit?

macafee2
Old 7th March 2018, 12:29   #7
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
if it is to our advantage I'm all for it but this seems to be dragging on and I hate to think of the cost..

macafee2
Normal people get to be poorer, almost certainly for the lifetime of everyone on here.

We get 'to take back control' - 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss' as The Who put it springs to mind - Won't Get Fooled Again indeed...

We get to forge brilliant new trade deals with 3rd world countries - as long as none of their citizens want to come and live here

Last edited by mystabe; 7th March 2018 at 12:36..
Old 12th March 2018, 17:58   #8
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

macafee2

Good question, did you notice no one popped up with a definitive answer to your very valid comments macafee2..
Old 12th March 2018, 19:12   #9
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Good question, did you notice no one popped up with a definitive answer to your very valid comments macafee2..
If you mean the question about what new advantages are expected to come with Brexit:

There's a really good answer for that Gordon! Nobody knows!

Rather than pluck guesses from the clouds of confusion and thereby create even more of it, it seems reasonable to allow the negotiators to do their job. To out-guess the only sources that matter is bound for the rocks if Yanis Varoufakis is to be taken seriously. And if anyone should know what he's talking about without having to guess, like so many remainers, he should having been through the mill with the EU negotiators several times.

All the time what's going through my mind is how all the negativity and troublemaking by once eminent leaders does nobody any good except the people our negotiators have to face. That diminishes us all and seems to me it's the fastest way to alienate friends and prejudice future relationships.

What's even more troubling is the insults and prejudice the establishment complainers throw around with no regard for the normal channels - entirely intent on overturning the applecart whatever the cost. That's their version of ' the national interest'! If they win, they don't care about a pyrrhic victory, they are insulated by their wealth.
Old 12th March 2018, 21:27   #10
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Hi Folks,
I have been reading this forum for a while now and must appllaud the moderators for leaving it open.
I think it was rustymotor who mentioned a long while ago about negotiating a better deal before we had the "Brexit" (a word I hate) vote. Well thanks to (just call me) Dave and his negotiating skills and "Angel" (who is she) Merkel and her intransigent ways that is how "we" ended up with an out vote!
Our way of life cannot be sustained the way it is (thank god) by staying in the EU (is that what we are in now). I agree we will have difficulties when we eventually leave as we are a major contributor and we will have to be penalised to stop anyone else (that is a net contributor) wanting to leave!
As an aside all these hard working "honest" east european`s that come here to do the jobs on minimum pay that "British people don`t want to do is a fallacy! I see it every day, they are as good or as bad as our "British" workers.
Neil
Closed Thread