Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2011, 09:30   #111
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

My ZT 190+ has these plates on it, as it's an ex-MG Rover Group car, does anyone want me to post a picture of the back plate to check fonts etc?
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 23:20   #112
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampster View Post
To be quite honest I think it's all a bit ridiculous where you can't get plates made up that are almost identical to plates by the manufacturer or dealership, simply because of some retro-active law.
It's NOT a retrospective law though. The law for the RNPS (register of number plate suppliers) came in in 2001 for England and Wales, and the law for Scotland at that time required a postcode and BS marking. The MoT is just checking the law as set at the time of registration is being followed.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 02:57   #113
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Well on the MOT front technically my plates shouldn't pass as they came from fancyplates and don't have the postcode etc on however they have now been on 4 cars and I'm yet to have one fail the MOT because of it. Of course I've had cars fail on plenty of other things, just not the plates!
Old 20th December 2011, 09:56   #114
robzilla
Regular poster

ZT Saloon 1.8T+

I am considering getting a set of plates from hardridden as I haven't got a smiley plater for the rear and I need a spare rear plate anyway to go on my bike rack, so two birds, one stone

Can anyone confirm that the plates are the clear perspex type with the yellow/white backing and not the other type where the perspex is opaque and the yellow/white plate is stuck on the front.

Many thanks. Hope I have explained that properly!
robzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 18:45   #115
robzilla
Regular poster

ZT Saloon 1.8T+

<bump> Anyone?
Old 20th December 2011, 19:06   #116
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Just a regular number plate..as you would expect.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 20:44   #117
robzilla
Regular poster

ZT Saloon 1.8T+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Just a regular number plate..as you would expect.
Thing is last time I ordered plates I expected a "regular numberplate" which to me is clear perspex with reflective backing, but I received the other type (opaque perspex with reflective sticker on the front). I don't like that sort as they tend to let water & dirt in much more easily and end up looking tatty quite quickly, so just wanted to check that these are "proper" plates (can't tell from the pictures).

I take it you mean they are the "proper" type then?
Old 20th December 2011, 22:48   #118
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
Wandering slightly off topic, my son was stopped a few years ago when he passed a police car on the inside on a dual carriageway. He had 'special' (rude!) numberplates and the policeman, determined to book him, said they were missing the BS mark and so were illegal. My sharp eyed son played dumb and asked the policeman to show him what he meant on the police car. It didn't have any and the embarrassed policeman immediately wished my son a safe journey home!
I got pulled over for allegedly having a non reflective front number plate.
Nothing to do with overtaking the car in front that was dawdling along at 30mph in a 60mph area on a clear road at 10:30pm then!
As it was dark and the kids were sat in the back watching the DVD screens I had the sun blind screen up. We where coming back from celebrating one or their birthdays.

The policemen’s whole manner changed when they got level with the back of the car and saw the kids and the MacDonald’s wrappers and drinks etc

They checked the whole car over and found nothing wrong except for no BS mark on the front number plates. This is when they first told me about the non reflective front number plate and that they were having a clamp down on illegal plates. I was told I would need to get the plates changed and if I didn’t I would lose the right to use the private plate reg. The spacing and font are all standard.

After they finished all this I pointed out that the car was first registered in July 2001 and this applied from September 2001 and wasn’t retrospective.
All they said was thank you and have a safe journey.
The same plates have now been on the car for around 5 years now.
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 19:57   #119
matthewsemple
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+

Cool Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SCO View Post
Hi there, I noticed that everybody gets hung up on the style of the Rover logo, but it is the MG logo imho that is wrong. The original MG Rover logo had an MG logo that was full colour, like on the pylons, golden, with red lettering and border. The "replica" ones discussed here are all see-through, the yellow of the plates (or white for that matter) is coming through.

Even more so, I am wondering, the only reason for me to want MG Rover Group plates (and I would) is to bring my car somehow back to its origins, as it had orignally been registered by MGR for about a year. But then using private plates, cherished plates or whatever, N reg'd 75's which have only been introduced as S models, that kind of makes the pretend-original MGR logo look like a fake from the outset, or not?
No that is not correct. Since 1990, buyers of new cars have been able to buy any registration available from the DVLA at the time of purchase and have it applied to their new car. And from a much earlier date, car buyers will have had the option of transferring cherished plates to their brand new cars. Any decent dealer will have made the plate with your chosen registration, if requested. SMG Rover in Slough were very helpful in doing this when my father bought his Rover 75.

So brand new Rover 75s (or in my case an MG ZT) wearing an N-registration (or any other registration of a year earlier than that of manufacture) will always have been possible. I didn't do this because I bought the car second-hand but my car was also originally registered by MG Rover. Furthermore, if MG Rover were still in business we could all be buying replacement plates directly from them - so 'pretend-original' and 'fake' is a little unfair.

You may be right about the MG logo, though. I think I raised this way back in this thread and was reassured the see-through logo was correct. However, life is too short and they look considerably better than the plates that the car came with, which I had to change anyway when I transferred the cherished plate from our old car.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:29   #120
David F
Regular poster

75 CDT Club SE

I have just contacted Ken about these plates.
I attached the picture of the real thing, from earlier in the post and gave him all the details.
I'll post back with current pricing and then how they turn out, they look good though.

David F
David F is offline   Reply With Quote