Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th June 2017, 17:24   #1
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Default Irritating noise

I know that unless people actually hear the noise they wont be able to pinpoint it, but what I,m hoping is someone can point me in general direction.

Took car in on Friday got a/con regassed, and then when out in car an hour or so later with radio off noticed a noise which to me is coming from somewhere in front of driver position.Saturday I went underneath and ensured wheel arch liners and another plastic panels were all secure(had front off to fit fan and consdenser, and silicone hoses other week.)and I knew some of the liners were not fully secure as needed some clips.Also double checked under bonnet but couldnt see anything obvious.I wasnt aware of noise prior to regas but that could just be a coincidence.
The noise /vibration only starts around 30mph below that its not noticable.Its there whether aircon running or not.From your own experiences and I know some of you guys have had these cars for years (had mine only 9 months) can anyone suggest anything?Thanks
Completed, Pcv filter,viton rings,rear,springs,discs,pads,shoes & shocks.Plenum guard,alternator.Headlamp refurb.rear exhaust.all filters alternator & belts,o/s control arm,windows /mirror controls sorted.2 door cards realigned.rear bulb holder, Wipers,Revotec fan condenser,silicon hoses.Lower rear engine mount
Tony
tony062622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 09:43   #2
preemo
Regular poster

mg zt

what kind of noise is it scraping/whirring clunking etc does it disapear when cornering or even get louder? could possibly be wheel bearing though if you can hear it louder the faster you go
preemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 20:24   #3
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemo View Post
what kind of noise is it scraping/whirring clunking etc does it disapear when cornering or even get louder? could possibly be wheel bearing though if you can hear it louder the faster you go
It's a sort of tinny rattle that's why made sure that all the liners and covers all back after refitted front end, my thoughts are something in dash, it comes on at about 30 mph and stays at same level,tbh have only done local journeys so haven't really gone round bend corner at speed.Tomorrow going to Durham done A1m so will see what like then.
Completed, Pcv filter,viton rings,rear,springs,discs,pads,shoes & shocks.Plenum guard,alternator.Headlamp refurb.rear exhaust.all filters alternator & belts,o/s control arm,windows /mirror controls sorted.2 door cards realigned.rear bulb holder, Wipers,Revotec fan condenser,silicon hoses.Lower rear engine mount
Tony
Old 8th July 2017, 18:17   #4
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Have had another look underneath to try and pinpoint the rattle.I havent an undertray fitted so aint that, all wheel arch liners and the brake air deflectors in position and not loose.I have checked the lower engine mount as I read on one thread this could cause the cat to rattle, and the mount is ok.I,ve done trips on motorway and country roads to see if noise is only under certain conditions, and the only common denominator is it starts around 30 to 40 mph no matter what road conditions are.It does appear to come from under the bonnet.
I have recently replaced alternator and belt, condenser and added revotec fan regassed the system.
Dave has fitted new air con belt recently so am sure if there had been a problem with the crank pulley he would have pointed this out.It is not overly noisy just irritating, any ideas guys?
Tony
Old 9th July 2017, 19:58   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A loose exhaust pipe heat shield makes a tinny noise.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 20:06   #6
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
A loose exhaust pipe heat shield makes a tinny noise.

TC
Yes checked that as well,the fact its only above 30 mph bugs me
Tony
Old 9th July 2017, 20:16   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Does it rattle at around 30 mph in more than one gear ?

Just checking to see if it's induced by engine speed or just road speed.-
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 14:53   #8
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Does it rattle at around 30 mph in more than one gear ?

Just checking to see if it's induced by engine speed or just road speed.-
Took car out this morning took it through gears to ablut 35mph or so in 2,3,4 &5th, and I couldnt hear the noise I,ve had.Then took it up to 60mph in 5th on A1 m and either I,ve going totally deaf or the noise has gone, just cant believe it.Have had a look underneath, in the boot and under bonnet but dont appear to have lost anything, no tools rattling. So now just waiting to see if it re-occurs.
Tony
Old 11th July 2017, 10:09   #9
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

My 2003 cdt does the same thing tinny rattle from behind dashboard around the fascia area. Comes on about 30mph. Also when car is idling in neutral with clutch out all is quiet. Soon as i press clutch in or touch the clutch pedal slightly i can hear it. Totally baffling me.
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 11:26   #10
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin P View Post
My 2003 cdt does the same thing tinny rattle from behind dashboard around the fascia area. Comes on about 30mph. Also when car is idling in neutral with clutch out all is quiet. Soon as i press clutch in or touch the clutch pedal slightly i can hear it. Totally baffling me.
I did think my noise was from behind dash.
Tony