Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2015, 19:24   #21
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
If you are travelling at 70 mph, you are supposed to stay in the near side lane until you catch another vehicle up travelling slower. When you get within 100 feet of the vehicles in front BRAKING distance, providing there is no one within YOUR braking distance behind you, you can indicate that you are about to move into the next lane and proceed to complete the manoeuvre . Same to move into the outside lane on a motorway. Not very hard to do if you are concentrating, not using a phone, or putting your makeup on.
Or toe nail polish
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 20:51   #22
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Had a very close call about two weeks ago...

Was driving home from work, road turned from a 30 to a 60. A car had stopped on the other side of the road to turn right into a driveway, a pick-up with a trailer didn't see it until last minute, jammed his brakes on and skidded straight into the path of my car. I yanked the steering wheel and bumped up the kerb to avoid a collision.

The berk carried on as if nothing had happened.
Old 19th March 2015, 21:13   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
If you are travelling at 70 mph, you are supposed to stay in the near side lane until you catch another vehicle up travelling slower. When you get within 100 feet of the vehicles in front BRAKING distance, providing there is no one within YOUR braking distance behind you, you can indicate that you are about to move into the next lane and proceed to complete the manoeuvre . Same to move into the outside lane on a motorway. Not very hard to do if you are concentrating, not using a phone, or putting your makeup on.
A few years ago now, but the worst case of lane hogging I ever saw, was by a stonemason's van. The three lane motorway was almost empty, he was quite heavily loaded struggling at 45 -50 up a slight incline. Nothing ahead of him, only me behind him, yet there he was in L3 plodding along. I tried head lights and horn, nothing would persuade him to move over.

To get past him, I moved over to L2, then L1 and undertook him, whilst watching him carefully. I could still see him in my mirror 4 miles later, still plodding along in L3, as I turned off.

When it is so blatant, it sets you wondering if they might be ill.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 21:15   #24
Avora
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 190

I seen a good few poor driving acts.

On Wednesday coming down the M74 I caught sight of a Police car travelling at a great speed in my rearview mirror. Soon a red Volvo followed at a similar high speed. A few miles down the road he was on the hard shoulder having a chat. Sweet justice.

Then when I came off the motorway, someone pulled out at the very last minute. Luckily I had a funny feeling it might happen and had already begun slowing down. I will have to start keeping the best files from my dash cam.
Old 19th March 2015, 22:58   #25
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Now there is an idea!

We could post our dashcam moments on this thread!! Trouble is i always forget to switch mine on - i wish it came on automatically.

Anybody have any corkers caught on camera??
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Scaramanga; 19th March 2015 at 23:01..
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 23:04   #26
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post

Oh plenty but none car related or shareable!
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 23:39   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
This was my issue/gripe, lane 3 was completely clear, nothing for miles! Yet for me to pull in between the HGV's and occasionally vans, travelling at approx 55mph, I would have had to slow from my 70, ie brake, because I would have encroached on what I like to have as a safety distance very quickly (as you say approx 100ft any less I become nervous).

I am doing 70-75, middle lane, car tight behind me (at one point I couldnt see his headlights!), outer lane, still clear both behind and in front, vans lorries travelling approx 55mph, with approx 2 to 3 lorry lengths between them, which I WAS passing. It actually felt like there was an invisible force that prevented the cars from passing me (at a higher rate than was legal, I might add! lol). When it first happened, I did pull in, slowed to 55mph, then tried accelerating to 70 again, but kept having to back off, as the cars flying down the middle lane - which of course they had a right to do. But still no one was in the 3rd lane.

I eventually did get out again into the middle lane, built speed back up to and maintained 70-75, and passed the lorries, ignoring the flashing lights behind me, if they wished to pass me as I passed the lorries, they could use the third lane. After a mile they did!

Incidentally, I wasnt on the phone, doing make up or my toe nails either lol. I just found it stupid, that the third lane was not being used at all, never mind being used to over take a slower 70-75mph driver (ME!) . Perhaps they thought it would draw attention to themselves in the outer lane. When the inside lane did clear, I did move into it though. Each time I pulled out however, I did have a tailgater!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 23:40   #28
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

spent way too long on YouTube earlier, and stumbled across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8
Old 19th March 2015, 23:43   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Now there is an idea!

We could post our dashcam moments on this thread!! Trouble is i always forget to switch mine on - i wish it came on automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

bad language aplenty though - you have been warned, but it is funny
Old 20th March 2015, 00:01   #30
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
pulling into the outside lane of any multi lane road (note I didn't say pulling out, as normally there is nothing in front of them to pull out from) then sitting at 40 or 50 in a 70 or 30 in a 50. they don't even notice the tail of cars behind building up. they then expect you to break the law and undertake, aargh!

I understand they may be nervous or inexperienced, but they should either not drive on those roads, or learn how to correctly and safely.

I do have theories on these drivers. 1. they cannot see their left corner of the car to judge the road correctly, in which case they shouldn't be driving. 2. they are foreigners, albeit driving a right Hooker, in which case they should learn the local traffic rules before driving a car.

I don't want to come across as sexist, but 90 per cent of these offenders are women, with the other 10 per cent male German car drivers maintaining 70 MPH, but still inside lane is empty!
Having driven a lot in Germany I have always found them extremely good at pulling back in after overtaking and totally without our hang ups about not being passed, if you want to go faster they will always move over and let you.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote